ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images

Hanging in Stone Mountain, NC primitive sites

Hey guys,

Been lurking for the most part on the forums, but I have gained SO MUCH from the wealth of knowledge everyone bring here. (THANKS!!!) Although I love my ENO DN, and can't wait to actually sleep in it overnight. (Afternoon testing has been the extent of its usage). I've dabbled a bit and made myself a DIY for my kids to hang in as well. However, I digress...

I'm VERY new to overnight backpacking- been a car camper all my life besides some Savannahs trips I took on Boy Scouts as a kid in Florida, and wanted to pick your brains as I am going to Stone Mountain State Park next weekend with a meetup.com group. Please excuse my newbie-ness.

First, does anyone have any recommendations on which site works best for hanging? I figure they all have some nice trees to choose from but any veterans may know the best spot.

I also assume there are no pit toilets- just a planning question, as 'primitive' sites seem to have time on occasion.

I'm going to pack in water, but I figured it would be a good place to test my water filter as well. How close are the streams, roughly, to the sites?

Thanks for your help. I've been looking forward to working my way into some longer trips, including some AT section hiking in the early summer and am excited to get some more experience in before I attempt any longer hiking excursions.

Rick

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Greensboro! Here is a link to some info you may already have found: http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/stmo/facilities.php

I was there this past very early fall. We hiked up in the dark, having chosen the first site you would come to on the trail Site A, but where we ended up camping may not have been an actual site. We sure thought we had gone 1.5 miles in but never saw a marker. We may have not gone as far as we thought, though. This trail goes along Widow's Creek, so there is a good water supply along most if not all of the trail. It is a nice big creek, and should have plenty of water. Nice place.

Here is a trip report I did: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=tart
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 03-04-2013 at 10:29. Reason: Added link to trip report

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Here's my write-up on going there.

I also include a link toward the bottom on there about eFlat's write-up on each site.

Stone Mountain

Here's a write-up on nearby Doughton park as well

Let us know how it goes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Here's my write-up on going there.

I also include a link toward the bottom on there about eFlat's write-up on each site.

Stone Mountain

Here's a write-up on nearby Doughton park as well

Let us know how it goes
    OK. After seeing Paul's video, I can safely say we were for sure not at any official campsite when I went! I think my buddy was just tired of hiking and thought we had to have gone far enough. It's hard to judge distances at night anyway. Oh well, it was a nice spot and we left no trace.

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY also
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images
    You guys are great, thanks! Paul, I've actually seen your videos but didn't realize you had posted it all here (found directly via YouTube).

I will definitely let you know how things turn out. Excited to hammock instead of having to deal with my hip digging into the ground.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Based on eFlat's write-up and my experience, I would put them in this order

1st choices: A, B, F
    2nd choices: C (no water)
    Last choice: D (no water, longest uphill); E (limited hanging spots)

For water, I just carried what I used for hiking. If you are going to a dry site, you can fill up by campsite A (or B) at the bridge and avoid carrying a bunch of water up the hills the first 1.4 miles.

No toilets as you mentioned.

An option for another time is South Mountain. You might have seen my write-up HERE. It would be a good option for kids just starting...maybe not the exact trail I took but there are flatter options.

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY also
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images
    South Mountain is gorgeous from your video, thanks for sharing it. I have a 13 and a 5 yo, both interested in hiking. I was to get a few overnights in some primitive sites before I take them along. I think I'll try Uhwarrie before it gets buggy and I really want to go to Mt. Rogers as well. I think the kids will love the ponies and it's a very popular (and fairly safe) place to go.

I did an overnight to Stone Mountain and enjoyed the area. The Stone Mountain area also has some decent fly fishing if you have an interest. You can check the fisheries website for when they stock trout.
    Last edited by Ryan1234; 03-08-2013 at 16:39.

D sucks.

That is all.

• + New Posts