Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Why is it embarrassing to check the product before buying, what do you never try on shoes, would you not test a bed before buying or drive a car?
    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    Yeah, the 1127 bodies recovered from the collapsed Rana Plaza building is funny, huh?

------------------------

I can see the allure of the sleeping bag, being readily available and it's low cost.

What about the cons? Having to open up the bags in the store to find the one with the best amount of fill? That doesn't sound like consistent quality to me. Sounds kind of embarrassing, too. And the talk about removing parts, sewing, adding more down, etc. And it's Walmart. It's also Bangladesh.

Why not support a cottage vendor, get something that's made right and made in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Why is it embarrassing to check the product before buying, what do you never try on shoes, would you not test a bed before buying or drive a car?
    Opening up every bag in the store? Holding it overhead so you can see the down inside? It reminds me of the Egg Man in Clerks, checking each egg to find the perfect dozen.

Shoes, cars... I don't try on every pair of the same style of shoes to find the one that has less flaws than the others, or drive every similar model of car on the lot to find which one has a better build quality. If the quality was poor or inconsistent, I'd probably move on.

Anyway, you find 3 bags on the shelf at Walmart. Being a bit of a nuisance, you take up the isle, peering through each bag for the most down. Funny looks from other shoppers, store security is wondering what the hell you're doing, but JACKPOT! You find THE ONE, and put the more crappy bags back. You leave the store triumphant. Later, someone else goes through the same inspection process with the two remaining bags... JACKPOT! They found THE ONE! They leave the store triumphant. Finally, someone finds the last bag, and having read this thread, they realize JACKPOT! They found ONE! They leave the store triumphant.

That night, the shelves are restocked. One bag has more down than any sold that day.

What a deal.
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have to agree about going through all the bags. When I hold my good bags up to the light I see partial fills thus making me think the darker spots are more likely the feathers. OTOH aside from a few ounces small feathers help keep the bag lofted so I am not all that anti feather.

For the field tester with all those clothes on. If any of those layers had a cotton content you will be cold. Damp cotton cools you off. It is very hard, if possible, to sleep cotton dry. You would be a lot better off slipping into dry wool or polypro before bed.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    For the field tester with all those clothes on. If any of those layers had a cotton content you will be cold. Damp cotton cools you off. It is very hard, if possible, to sleep cotton dry. You would be a lot better off slipping into dry wool or polypro before bed.
    Had synthetic materials all the way to my skivvies. I think the weather & wind conditions did it, plus I noticed on an earlier post the image of the loft of an Ozark Trails bag. I compared mine to it and I had a little over half the loft, but when I bought it in the store it was the "best" of the ones there. I've since returned it and have another one on the way. Not alot of uniformity in these bags so far.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    I just got a couple of bags for my two boys from The Clymb which they will use with their new tablecloth hammocks which should arrive soon! Christmas come early!
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

It's always amusing to hear people talk down from their high horse.

Why not buy from a cottage industry business? Because I don't currently have the money to spend on it, having spent the rest of my money on their gear.

Why not diy? Because after paying for materials, my lack of skill will probably end up costing more than this bag.

No one is expecting this bag to last a lifetime. I'm my situation, I just need a bag so I can get out there & enjoy this season. Down the road, I'd love to purchase a top quilt from one of the vendors here.

HYOH doesn't include being a gear snob

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Okay....

First off what does HYOH mean?

Well, anyway, I don't know if you speaking in general terms but since I'm here I'll splain it for you.

I will buy for my kids but will DIY for my wife and myself. I don't know if it's a cool factor for the boys but I will end making their bug nets.

Ooo, I'm also planning on making a tarp that will cover the 4 of us at our scouts fall campout. Does that count?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

Hike your own hike
    Hang your own hang

I wasn't referring to you, I think it's great you're gearing up your family.. Anything to help them enjoy the outdoors!

I was responding to the few that are belittling the idea of inexpensive gear & the effort people put in to be thrifty.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    Hike your own hike
    Hang your own hang

I wasn't referring to you, I think it's great you're gearing up your family.. Anything to help them enjoy the outdoors!

I was responding to the few that are belittling the idea of inexpensive gear & the effort people put in to be thrifty.
    Oh, gotcha! I have been able to figure out some of the acronyms but that one stumped me.

What I love about DIY is that if it tears or gets messed up it's easier to repair and don't have to worry about a manufacturer replacing or fixing and you are then without your gear.

I figure each to their own.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I pay $70 you pay the rest?
    If the money is not important please throw yours around instead of mine, thank you.
    Sure thing. I believe you can pick up one of his UQ's for 50. Take your other 20 and buy a couple pillows or really splurge and hit DIY Supply for a few ounces of the good stuff. It will also give you a quick introductory course in DIY and probably continue to serve you well making choices on future purchases.

But of course HYOH

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73071
    Last edited by Rolloff; 05-16-2013 at 00:17.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast