WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

Is anyone buying it online with store pickup? I placed an order a couple weeks ago with an ETA yesterday, but nothing yet. I got an email today saying its been delayed in shipping.

Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    I have slept in mind three nights now in mild weather in can firmly say that I am glad I purchased it.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    They had free shipping to my house, so I picked that option. They arrived very quickly (a couple of days).

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    ^ same here, it came in just a few days. I have camped with mine and I love it. It packs down to a small football size, it's warm and soft. There's no way I would try to use it in really cold (below freezing) temperatures, but it is great for higher altitude backpacking right now. (Summer!)

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I got one of these bags in June when they had them on sale for 42.99. I had seen them back in March and was not sure about them... When I got it home and opened it...held it up to the light I could see the fill was very,very light. I tested it on a trip to Arkansas in 55 deg. lows and I was warm....I think it would make a good top quilt for mild fall/winter anything lower than 45 deg. I would have reservations.........

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    After reading all of this thread I went to a local Walmart to check 'em out. The ones I looked at were badly void of down in some baffles. I did not buy. But, I also purchased a $300 Marmot Hydrogen 30F bag some years ago and it is in no way a 30F bag either. It also has voids and is underfilled in areas.

There's a huge difference between $300 and $69. You don't always get what you pay for. I've decided that I need to buy from cottage vendors to get product that is "as advertised". That or make stuff myself and embrace the deficiencies that come with it.

I say if this bag gets people out there it is worth every penny.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    woohoo! I just received the vintage sleeping bag I bought on eBay $35 plus shipping. It has stains, it has holes, but it originally had 2 pounds of goose down! I think it may be slightly less now because of the holes (I won't know until I vacuum out the down), but it has 6+ inches of loft when zipped (both layers of the bag).

I built a "T" adapter like seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5U0C85gv1Q to vacuum and inject the down.

I plan to extract all of this fluffy down which will be used to inject into both of my Walmart bags. It won't take much down since I live and camp in the South. My coldest hang ever was in Tennessee (Savage Gulf) on Presidents Day weekend 2013 at 25 degrees F. (With a 32 degree Slumberjack, my JCP Puffer quilt, and Marmot down jacket as my top cover.) Usually freezing is the coldest we camp.

I can't wait to start upgrading these Wally World bags to true 20 or 32 degree bags/quilts! I'll post the results in the DIY forum.

The leftover down will be destined for an underquilt (maybe two?) which will be a step up from our IX quilts. My son and I will definitely have an upgrade with the final results.

Thanks to all of your that brought these sleeping bags to my attention!

Side view of my eBay purchase:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker
    Tarp
    Cat Cape
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Whoopie

WM duck down sleeping bag

I have this little duck feather bag.I've read a few of the posts in this thread. So far I like this light weight down bag for several reasons, the loft isn't compromised by keeping the bag in the stuff sack.
    The bag also works as a top quilt, I'm considering buying another to use as a bottom quilt.
    One feather poking out so far.
    Price is not too bad , but if I knew how to sew I'd get a pound of goose down from the local pickers and make a top and bottom quilt.
    We hunt geese around Swan Lake Wildlife Refuge and other lonely places
    buzz
    Last edited by bluetoad; 07-30-2013 at 18:58.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whoofit View Post
    After reading all of this thread I went to a local Walmart to check 'em out. The ones I looked at were badly void of down in some baffles. I did not buy. But, I also purchased a $300 Marmot Hydrogen 30F bag some years ago and it is in no way a 30F bag either. It also has voids and is underfilled in areas.

There's a huge difference between $300 and $69. You don't always get what you pay for. I've decided that I need to buy from cottage vendors to get product that is "as advertised". That or make stuff myself and embrace the deficiencies that come with it.

I say if this bag gets people out there it is worth every penny.
    Although there are many posts on this thread, the common perception is that don't buy from the store, but order online and have that item shipped to the store or home. I don't know why, but that seems to have the most acceptible option for a better fill, quality bag.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    woohoo! I just received the vintage sleeping bag I bought on eBay $35 plus shipping. It has stains, it has holes, but it originally had 2 pounds of goose down! I think it may be slightly less now because of the holes (I won't know until I vacuum out the down), but it has 6+ inches of loft when zipped (both layers of the bag).

I built a "T" adapter like seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5U0C85gv1Q to vacuum and inject the down.

I plan to extract all of this fluffy down which will be used to inject into both of my Walmart bags. It won't take much down since I live and camp in the South. My coldest hang ever was in Tennessee (Savage Gulf) on Presidents Day weekend 2013 at 25 degrees F. (With a 32 degree Slumberjack, my JCP Puffer quilt, and Marmot down jacket as my top cover.) Usually freezing is the coldest we camp.

I can't wait to start upgrading these Wally World bags to true 20 or 32 degree bags/quilts! I'll post the results in the DIY forum.

:
    That looks awesome! Definitely looking forward to seeing your results, please post lots of pictures! I have a few "scrap" down items as well and ordered one of these down bags (it's getting delivered friday) and it'd be really cool to upgrade this to, say, a 20 degree bag for next to nothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast