DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    How small does this bag compress down? The bag I use now is has it's picture next to "Bulk" in the dictionary.
    Here's a pic of one - my hand's aren't what I'd call big, so whole thing is probably less than football size. Maybe like a 2 liter pop bottle before the taper? Definitely not bulky.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    darkbyrd & the lorax,
    thanks for the info. That is considerably smaller than my current setup, and if I supplement with my fleece & weathershield TQ, I should be able to get down in the 20s-30s. Thanks
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    custom-made
    Tarp
    custom-made
    Insulation
    whatever I bring
    Suspension
    Syn. steel cable
    I got one of these bags a couple weeks ago and was excited at the thought of using this as a top quilt. After unpacking it, shaking it thoroughly and letting it fluff up it looked good until I got in it and noticed the top had hardly any insulation. It's as if 6.5 oz of the insulation went into the bottom half and hood and the top half was forgotten. I played with the down and feathers in some of the chambers on the top but couldn't make them close to how fluffy the bottom half is. It packs down really nice in its little bag. Diameter is about 19" and length is about 10".

Attached are some photos showing the chambers on the top half. They are consistently underfilled the whole length of the bag. It does have a zippered pouch on the top half inside, which could be a nice feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY ultralight hammock by Junebug
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

Just got mine yesterday. It's my first down bag I have ever had. I wanted to know from those of you with experience is it normal that a couple feathers come out? No down just some of the feathers. It's 10% feathers 90% down
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockHunter View Post
    Just got mine yesterday. It's my first down bag I have ever had. I wanted to know from those of you with experience is it normal that a couple feathers come out? No down just some of the feathers. It's 10% feathers 90% down
    Oh yeah. No matter what quality of down product you get a feather or two wll work it's self out once in a while.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockHunter View Post
    I don't have experience, but mine hasn't lost any feathers. Maybe exchange it for another?
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a lot of down bags, quilts, coats, vests, etc. They all lose feathers from time to time. A few lost feathers will not hurt your bag. Check the seams and as long as they are all stictched tight, I wouldn't worry.

I bought one today to examine. Considering using it on the Colorado Trail with my grandson this summer.

Like another I notice how light showing through shows places where it is in need of additional down.

What I am considering is modifying it for several purposes. First is to rid it of hood and zippers to loose weight. The second is to buy a 700 FP pillow from Downlite that is on sale with coupon for $60 and add more more loft. 20 oz. pillow

I can tell that is baffled but appears they are pretty wide. Seems like a pretty easy modification.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    I picked up one of these as well. Seems to work great as a TQ and I figure it'll be a good backup to have no matter what. I am not a big guy, 5'07" 150 lbs., and this bag fits me pretty well. If you are a bigger dude or mama, might be tight.
    I was also concerned about the fact that the bag was in its stuff sack for months before I bought it. I will say that it seems to be okay. I have used it only twice in the hammock, but I was cozy both times at about 40F. That being said, the bag has specs on the end of it and it says it weighs 720g. Mine registers 653g, and the compression style stuff sack it came in registers 48g (605g for just the sleeping bag). So did it somehow lose feathers in transit/storage? Who knows?
    Overall, though, I think it is worth the $80. Now if I could just find an $80 UQ...
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    the bag unzips almost completely leaving the footbox. My thought is I can unzip it and use it as a top quilt or still use it as a sleeping bag.
    So it doesn't zip open all the way? Think like using it as a sheet. I ask because I have a wide variety of things I need to adapt it to. One being used in summer on top of an air mattress with the mrs. at bike rallies. I like the fact that it compresses down so small that it will be perfect on the motorcycle or in my pack either one.
    It's not about the miles, its about the smiles!
    Black Chrome

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast