Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Top Quilt Conundrum

I'm currently in the market for my first top quilt! I own a KAQ New River, which is good to 25°, so I'm looking for something to match that. I just sold 2 of my cheap synthetic sleeping bags, so I'm looking for a single quilt that can take me 25° and up! Here are my thoughts, and let me know what you think!

1) JRB Hudson River Quilt: rated to 25°, convertible to underquilt, so in summer so I can take a silk liner and leave the synthetic one at home! Water resistant down. A little narrower than most other quilts, but much longer. I don't get that haha. 23 oz. Price + shipping: $270

2) Loco Libre 30° Serrano Topquilt: Custom colors, lightweight, perfect temp rating, no water resistant down. 16.8 oz. Price + shipping: $234

3) UGQ Flight Jacket 30°: Custom colors, more fill weight than other quilts (not sure if this means anything...), water resistant down. 18.98 oz. Price + shipping: $252

I'm not really looking at HG quilts since they don't make a 30° one, or EE because I kinda need it sooner than a couple months.

So I really love the features of the JRB, but don't love the price and the weight. I suppose the weight comes from the material they use, and shipping is high but it gets here in a couple days. Can anyone comment on JRB recommendation for their quilt lengths? The regular is 1-2 inches shorter than most other companies longs, and the long is half a foot longer than any other quilt out there! I'm right at 6 foot, so if I could get a regular (78 inches) that would be great!
    Last edited by Darthmingi92; 03-22-2016 at 18:56.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that LocoLibre offers DWR - HyperDry down.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I'm pretty sure that LocoLibre offers DWR - HyperDry down.
    Yep you're right! It just didn't say it on the product page haha

Hammock
    Half Whit, Hemmock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You have a cottage vendor close to you in Lancaster, Oh. Hammock Gear, they offer the Burrow 20.
    Adam & Jenny are great to work with. I have several of their quilts, very happy with the quality.
    Every hike begins with the first step and ends with the last one, it is all the steps in between that create all the memories.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowbee56 View Post
    You have a cottage vendor close to you in Lancaster, Oh. Hammock Gear, they offer the Burrow 20.
    Adam & Jenny are great to work with. I have several of their quilts, very happy with the quality.
    Ah yes, I know about HG, but they don't have a 30° quilt like I'm looking for...

Hammock
    Half Whit, Hemmock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah yes, I know about HG, but they don't have a 30° quilt like I'm looking for...
    They do custom orders, get in touch with them. They have made 30* for others.
    Every hike begins with the first step and ends with the last one, it is all the steps in between that create all the memories.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmingi92 View Post
    If you give HG a call, and let them know you want a 30˚ quilt, they'll definitely make one for you, to your specifications, and chances are it'll fall right in line with the other vendors prices. So I wouldn't discount them simply because it's not listed as standard on the site. Then again, if you're looking to have the quilt take you down to 25˚ then a 20˚ Burrow (or any other quilt) might not be a bad idea anyway. All of my quilts currently are HG, and I have absolutely no complaints about the quality or service HG offers - I've been buying quilts from them on and off for 5 years.

I've heard nothing but good things about JRB quilts - however there are two caveats: They only have one color choice (either you like hunter green or you don't), and they do cost more up front. However they keep inventory of their quilts pretty much all the time - so you're paying extra for the luxury of not having to wait X number of weeks for your quilt to be made. Assuming you like their stock options, it might be worth it to be able to have your quilt shipped within a day or two, instead of 4-6 weeks. That's up to you to decide.

I've had the pleasure of meeting George from LocoLibre, and he's actually currently working on a winter quilt for me. His work is top notch, he has some great design innovations that other vendors aren't doing, and he has the ability (and willingness) to customize virtually every aspect of the quilt for you. Want one color fabric and another color stitching? He'll do it. Want different stitching colors inside and out, and a custom color panel on the front? He'll do that too. His work is popular lately (now that more people are seeing the quality he puts out), and his wait times are a little long - but he is a one man show, so that's to be expected. 100% Worth the wait, and you won't be disappointed.

UGQ has loads of loyal followers, and I'll let them comment more on what they have to offer as I'm sure they'll know best. From an outside point of view, their quilts do tend to be a touch more expensive and heavier than similarly rated quilts from competitors - they're a touch wider and have a bit more down than some others, though if the other quilts will truly get you to the same temp with a lower cost and weight, then I'm not sure if i consider that a benefit or not. Plus their website is pretty confusing, but I've heard their customer service is top notch and their response time is phenomenal so I'm sure if you had trouble figuring out how to order what you want then a quick phone call would sort it out. Plus I've never heard anyone say a single bad thing about the quality, or the temp ratings not being accurate. Quite the opposite.

Basically, every one listed above will give you a great product that will keep you nice and warm. Each company has a feature or two that make them different. It all comes down to what your needs are, aside from "I need a 30˚ quilt", i.e. is timeline a priority, or weight, or price? Is micro-customization something you really want, or are you okay with stock options? Do you need constant contact, or are you willing to click 'order' and then site back and wait?

I know that's not really an answer, but in this case you're in many ways comparing apples to apples. Do you like Red Delicious, Macintosh, or Fuji apples better? They're all apples, all delicious, but ... different.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowbee56 View Post
    They do custom orders, get in touch with them. They have made 30* for others.
    Hmmm great point! I will definitely do that!

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I assumed I was comparing apples to apples, because they're all real high quality vendors! But thanks for all this info, I think I'm a little closer to making a choice!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmingi92 View Post
    I'm not really looking at HG quilts since they don't make a 30° one,
    Will a 20 degree bag be terrible for you? hammock gear 20 degree quilts fall in line with the price and weight of the other options you listed in your original post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast