Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    I'm hoping i can make it, i'll have to see abit towwards the end of the month

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There hasn't been that much activity in this thread. We are only two and a half weeks away and I wonder if the extended cold weather conditions are putting a damper on the enthusiasm that past trip planning threads usually bring out. I know for me the weather has played a factor. I worry the conditions will either cause a cancellation or make the paddling challenging beyond my skill and comfort level.

Aside from the weather, I have some family matters going on that may require my attention. My wife and I were supposed to have a court date for our adoption in early April but now it has been pushed to early May and we won't find out an exact date until the week before.

I also have been having some issues with my right knee making it painful to kneel for long periods of time. Walking is no problem but if I kneel for a while it is painful to straighten it and it takes a while to walk it off. Not ideal for canoeing and portaging.

Because of these issues I can't commit to this kind of a trip. As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to go ahead and say I cannot go on this one.

I really hope the weather cooperates and you guys do get to go.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    There hasn't been that much activity in this thread. We are only two and a half weeks away and I wonder if the extended cold weather conditions are putting a damper on the enthusiasm that past trip planning threads usually bring out. I know for me the weather has played a factor. I worry the conditions will either cause a cancellation or make the paddling challenging beyond my skill and comfort level.
    Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on this hang and haven't seen too much going on. Might just be too early in the season for everyone, maybe a bit of hang fatigue. At this point I think there might be only three of us planning on going up. The ice conditions are definitely giving me a lot of concern. We're about 17 days out and the ice is still pretty solid.

Canoe Lake Ice-Out
    Looks like we've got a most popular date: Thursday, May 2nd. More than 50% of people so far think the ice will go out during the 7 days from April 26th through May 2nd; and 90% think it will be out by at least May 3rd.

I heard from two Canoe Lakers who were up on Easter weekend (just 7 days ago!) and reported between 25" and 30" of solid ice; and it was something like -13°C on Tuesday night.

I'm going with May 8th, mostly for posterity ;-)

If these guys are right, it'll be a close call for May 3-5. Granted the lakes south of HWY 60 usually open a little earlier as an alternative, but still.... Looks like I might have to reschedule my solo paddle for after the hang.

Aside from the weather, I have some family matters going on that may require my attention. My wife and I were supposed to have a court date for our adoption in early April but now it has been pushed to early May and we won't find out an exact date until the week before.

I also have been having some issues with my right knee making it painful to kneel for long periods of time. Walking is no problem but if I kneel for a while it is painful to straighten it and it takes a while to walk it off. Not ideal for canoeing and portaging.
    That's great news about your hearing and I wish you the best of luck. That's also crappy news about your knee. As you know, I'm having my own knee challenges, but things are looking okay for now. Still, not ideal for extended hours of paddling.

Because of these issues I can't commit to this kind of a trip. As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to go ahead and say I cannot go on this one.

I really hope the weather cooperates and you guys do get to go.
    Definitely sorry to hear you won't be albe to come out this time, but all things considered, it sounds like it's unavoidable. You'll be missed, but we'll definitely get together this summer.
    Last edited by Chard; 04-15-2013 at 15:14.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post

That's great news about your hearing and I wish you the best of luck. That's also crappy news about your knee. As you know, I'm having my own knee challenges, but things are looking okay for now. Still, not ideal for extended hours of paddling.
    This will be my first trip after ankle rehab and my knee is slow getting into shape so if this trip goes, we'll all be a bit slow.

I have chatted with a buddy about this. He's interested but not committed yet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

Definitely sorry to hear you won't be albe to come out this time, but all things considered, it sounds like it's unavoidable. You'll be missed, but we'll definitely get together this summer.
    Thanks chard. Hope to see you guys at another hang sooner rather than later.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Wish I could make this! If it was the weekend after I’d be good, but I have plans that weekend in Niagara! Have a great trip, and if there’s another one near Toronto I’ll try to make it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Updated: Thursday, April 18, 2013
    Ice Out Conditions

Lakes throughout Algonquin Park are expected to remain substantially ice covered through the weekend of April 27/28, 2013. Based on current conditions, and all available information, Algonquin Park canoe routes are not expected to be navigable for the opening weekend of Algonquin Park's trout season (April 27). Conditions are continually being assessed by Park staff so please monitor this web page for updates as conditions warrant.
    Source

--------------------

Hmmmm.

Even though I planning on heading up on my annual trout trip the following weekend (May 3-5) it still might be touch and go. I know from long experience that a few days of warm windy weather can make all of the difference.

Normally by this time we're discussing group geal and meals, but all things considered, I'd recommend that anyone coming plan on being self-contained. Just PM me for permit info (9 max). We can figure out any rendevous offline or just meet up at McIntosh. Look for the Hammock Forums flag!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Chard; 04-20-2013 at 11:00.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I'm sewing and splicing as fast as I can but there's no way I'm going to be ready for interior by May 3 - I should be able to manage parking lot camping..

The list of what I need just keeps getting longer and longer and shipping times from the US are getting in the way.

It's gonna be a last minute thing for me as to whether I show up anywhere - I've got another group that's planning an interior group weekend the same weekend.

Hey, I might be able to drive between the two groups...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I'm sewing and splicing as fast as I can but there's no way I'm going to be ready for interior by May 3 - I should be able to manage parking lot camping..
    I'm laughing because I'm also trying to wrap up a new DIY TQ. First trip of the year always seems a little more chaotic trying to find all my gear. If you can make the 3rd that'd be great, but we'll be back up again a couple of times before freeze-up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    It's gonna be a last minute thing for me as to whether I show up anywhere - I've got another group that's planning an interior group weekend the same weekend.

Hey, I might be able to drive between the two groups...
    Beautiful time of year to be in the park, and I'm sure your friends will have a great time although they might have to bring skates!!! You need to get your butt in gear and get all of your hammock stuff together so you can join them (or us)!!!

P.S. What gear are you missing?

Butt in gear.. hammock gear... Yeah, lame. Sorry!

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I'm laughing because I'm also trying to wrap up a new DIY TQ. First trip of the year always seems a little more chaotic trying to find all my gear. If you can make the 3rd that'd be great, but we'll be back up again a couple of times before freeze-up.

Beautiful time of year to be in the park, and I'm sure your friends will have a great time although they might have to bring skates!!! You need to get your butt in gear and get all of your hammock stuff together so you can join them (or us)!!!

P.S. What gear are you missing?

Butt in gear.. hammock gear... Yeah, lame. Sorry!
    You'll be really sorry you asked...

Let's see - tarp still needs the linelocs that are on order, hammock needs spreader bars (repurposing a friends old tent poles) and suspension, have pack frame only, it needs waistbelt and packs (doing stackpacks), compression sacks for both quilts, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum...

Hey, I have my stove and my quilts are made!!

I figure I'll be able to sleep outdoors but not carry anything further than 100 feet from the car and then I'll have to make multiple trips...

And then there's the matter of conditioning - with no dog to walk any more, I huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I went out today for a hike and had to turn around within a 1/2 mile - the thunder was way too close to the lightning!! We chickened out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast