WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A lot can change in a week and a half. Here's hoping!
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-23-2013 at 20:34.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Hopefully something works out. As for destination, as long as it's backcountry and there are trees.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Hopefully something works out. As for destination, as long as it's backcountry and there are trees.
    Great attitude! I'd be the same. I'll be watching to see what happens here. If the stars align and the universe smiles on me, I may be able to come out provided there is space in a canoe for me. If not it's ok but I am really hoping things pan out for me to come out!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrknArrow View Post
    No backcountry permits for overnight camping now.
    Fortunately I already have mine permit with assurances of a full refund if the Park isn't open May 3rd. But that still doesn't bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrknArrow View Post
    Not to mention still substantial ice coverage -- you have to go pretty far south to find open water!
    You guys still planning on going to Algonquin? Our group has abandoned the idea of Temagami and is heading to Massasauga instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    A lot can change in two weeks. Here's hoping!
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Whether its trolling big water for lakers or working little rivers for specks, spring ice-out in Algonquin is my favorite time of year. While Bubba's right and a lot can happen in a week, with less than ten days to go, it looks like there's a real possibility that our Canoe Lake-McIntosh route, and any other route in the Park for that matter, will be still ice-bound next weekend.

If that's the case and we're unable to come up with an alternate Algonquin route, we'll have to settle on one of three choices; either relocate, reschedule or cancel altogether. As BrknArrow mentioned, satellite imagery suggests that there a broad band of open water to the east, south and west of Algonquin and parks like Massassauga might be a good option (no trout though). It's just that drive times may become an issue for some. Rescheduling until later in May is also possible but that depends on the flexibility of our schedules. Cancelling outright, well let's hold off on that for the time being.

Let's hear what you guys have to say. If there's a marked preference for either relocation or rescheduling, lets make the arrangements asap and have them as a back-up if Algonquin doesn't work out.

Role Call so far...

• Jiblets
    • Mongrel
    • Chenvre
    • Keg
    • Keg's Friend
    • Taliesin96 (Maybe)
    • Bubba (Maybe, pending an astrological alignment)

Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Let's hear what you guys have to say. If there's a marked preference for either relocation or rescheduling, lets make the arrangements asap and have them as a back-up if Algonquin doesn't work out.
    tldr; Relocation works for me, rescheduling should work for me, but cancellation?

I'm pretty easy going on this trip plan, since we knew it was going to be touch and go from the beginning.

Being in Ottawa, the drive is going to be substantial enough that a little extra isn't a huge deal, although I'd prefer to not have to drive through TO to get to the western side, but it's not out of the question.

I have a canoe booked with AO, and they have been very accommodating to me by being flexible on the dates (due to ice out), and they now supply foam blocks for cars that are 'lacking the rack', leaving me to freely transport the canoe as I need. I scheduled to pick up in the Huntsville location, so if we do relocate, I might need to find an alternate.

What say the rest of you?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Hey guys. If this trip gets resceduled Tracey and myself would be in for 2 weeks later!

This weather has been unfortunate...we have had to change this weekend hiking plans.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I know I'm not confirmed so my vote does not count as much but relocation is my only option. For sure I do not want to cancel and the rest of May is not good for me to reschedule. As keg said, give me trees and the woods within a 5 hour drive and I'll be happy. I'm really working on going so don't count me out just yet guys!
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-24-2013 at 10:32.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post

I have a canoe booked with AO, and they have been very accommodating to me by being flexible on the dates (due to ice out), and they now supply foam blocks for cars that are 'lacking the rack', leaving me to freely transport the canoe as I need. I scheduled to pick up in the Huntsville location, so if we do relocate, I might need to find an alternate.

What say the rest of you?
    I'm in the same boat. If we go somewhere that AO is out of the way all problems can be solved with a couple days notice

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I kill myself. Canoe rental, same boat. Ha.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    I'm a little fixated on fishing for trout, so my vote is reschedule. Sry Bubba.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast