Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Arrow Omega Pacific vs SMC Descender Rings

Since I have both types of climbing rated rings, I figured i'd show the differences between them. First off the Omega Pacific Rappel Rings topped out at 1.2 oz each. Pretty heavy. The thinner hollow rings that are just rolled aluminum, topped out at 0.4oz. Big difference. You can see them in comparison to each other in size. The Omegas, from my understanding, are solid vs the others that are hollow. I have been having trouble finding the lighter hollow SMC descender rings at the vendors I frequently shopped. I have been able to find them a few places but they seem to be fading out. I have found a few sites that sell a thinner version of the hollow rings but they are not designed to handle heavier loads that a hammock suspension would incur upon them. I ended up buying the Omegas which are quite a bit heavier but are at least safer. I wont have to worry about them stretching out over time or possibly failing. Although, I dont really think they would ever fail because I am using 2 of them at each end of the hammock so it isnt 100% load on each. Or is it?

Anyways, just wanted to post some pics and show them up next to each other so you can get a good idea of their size and weight. I posted a pic of some 1" webbing fed through the Omegas so you can see how big they are. The biner is a Black Diamond Neutron. Hope someone finds this useful.

downsized_0305131458.jpgdownsized_0305131459.jpgdownsized_0305131500.jpgdownsized_0305131506.jpg

Not my pictures below. Just some pics I found of the SMCs that had failed. Edit: These pictures are not from hammock suspension use. Just some pics I found of them all stretched out is all.

Images
    That failed ring looks like it was pulled to failure on a test rig. Are you saying that ring failed in use as a hammock suspension?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleClark View Post
    That failed ring looks like it was pulled to failure on a test rig. Are you saying that ring failed in use as a hammock suspension?
    Na, just found a photo of it stretched out is all. I think using the word fail was a bad choice. Should have clarified that. I do not know what happened in those photos. I had just read on a few forums that they were more of a one time use item for the canyoneering community because they wear out fast. I doubt they will ever fail on holding a hammock. But I am no expert. I still plan to use my SMC rings. I am not worried about them failing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I can't imagine those rings were the result of anything other than a climber taking a fall and the sudden weight and force of the climber causing the deformation of the rings. Like already stated, having the two rings on each connection to form a buckle, lessens the load even more and we certainly aren't applying the forces in a hammock that a falling climber would be applying. I've got 5+ years on SMC rings and have never had one fail, or even yield. I don't keep suspensions on my hammocks in storage, so I tend to use the same suspension on whatever hammock I'm using at the time. My goto webbing and ring suspension has at least a solid year worth of hanging from it, probably more. I have complete faith in the SMC for the purpose of hammock hanging.

I don't like the Omegas due to their girth. The webbing tends to bunch-up in them because the inner diameter is much less than the SMC rings. That doesn't mean they don't work just fine; I have more than a couple of them in the drawer. You just have to be absolutely sure you're tying the backup knot since the webbing isn't flat against the surfaces and WILL slip.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I don't like the Omegas due to their girth. The webbing tends to bunch-up in them because the inner diameter is much less than the SMC rings. That doesn't mean they don't work just fine; I have more than a couple of them in the drawer. You just have to be absolutely sure you're tying the backup knot since the webbing isn't flat against the surfaces and WILL slip.
    Agreed. They are very thick. Plus 1 Omega Ring is equal to the weight to 4 SMC rings. I should have looked at the weight of the Omegas before I ordered them. They will most likely, not be used.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Agreed. They are very thick. Plus 1 Omega Ring is equal to the weight to 4 SMC rings. I should have looked at the weight of the Omegas before I ordered them. They will most likely, not be used.
    How does the saying go...an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. I'm using the Omegas on my suspension system. The piece of mind I get is worth the ounce. (PM in bound on a side note).

Here's an interesting video of the destructive testing of a non-forged descending ring that certainly fits the description of, and looks like, the SMC rolled aluminum one. It's nice to see that the load at failure (for what it's worth, given the different loading) is WAY above what a hammock hung at 30deg could ever apply, and that it fails by bending rather than snapping.

Last edited by PrisonerOfGravity; 03-14-2013 at 16:56.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I cannot help but think it's an apples and oranges comparison.

As I recall something like 90% of the strength of a tube vs a solid is in the outer 10% of the diameter. That makes the inner hole of minimal significance on one hand. On the other hand the diameter of tube of the forged ring is significantly larger (thicker) so it would be significantly stronger than the rolled ring tested assuming the same material. He has no way of establishing that.

My bottom line is that I do not know what he was trying to prove in his climbing activities but as far as hammocks go I do not see a problem with the strength. There does seem to be a significant weight issue in favor of the rolled ring for our use. When I start seeing reports of deformed rings on a hammock I will get concerned.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I got curious. This is how to set up what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35T1lwkkJwk

Here is what he is using the equipment for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TzERkdNoyw

He has a significant load on that line to get it flat. I'll let somebody else find the chart about how that tight line multiplies the force because of the hang angle. The fellow in the video complaining about the rings is not using them for climbing as they are intended for. I'm mildly surprised any other parts of his setup are holding up.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant but his video is a complaint about a situation where the equipment is not being used as intended let alone as we use it.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I think the hammock material will give before the (Quad) SMCs do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast