Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

How does it compare

I was looking into ENO hammocks and I was just wondering if any ENO owners have compared their hammock to other companies products?

Aside from the great marketing and ENO community I don't see how their expensive products are any better?

I was just curious.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    ENO DN was my first hammock. Second hammock, also a ENO DN puchased as the One-Link system. This was attractive in the same way that a all-inclusive resort at an exotic local is attractive; every-thing you need with one purchase decision.

Cost wise, I beleive the ENO is reasonably and attractively priced. This is especially true when it is the only, or best option on the shelves of the local retailer. As a entry into this hobby I believe ENO is providing a great service.

That said, I now own more comfortable hammocks. There are craftsmen on this site providing greater value. However, I would not own $$$$ worh of hammocks and accessories had I not been able to pick up that first ENO DN at a local mass merchant.

Regarding the cottage vendors here- their products would likely cost 2-3x more if offered at REI or other retailer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I like the ENO 'style' of hammock, but I like ENOs the least of all the majors making hammocks of that fashion. They are easily the shortest of the parachute hammocks and as a result, don't really hold up in a head to head comparison. As always, JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    I have a WBBB and the wife decided we all needed hammocks so we have 2 singles for the boys and a double that my wife claims is for me and her but is really for her and the dog.

The single is a nice hammock. I find it hard at 5'8 to get a flat lay in it. I can in the double though. Its kinda huge that way. I like the eno, but I doubt it would ever end up in my pack.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO PF
    Suspension
    Atlas
    Actually I decided on the ENO after comparing it to other top brands and finding the ENO to be the most reasonably priced.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My first real hammock was a ENO that I bought in an one-link DN system because it covered the basics in one easy purchase- hammock, tarp, suspension, repair kit, stakes, and bugnet. I found it on sale on an online sporting goods site for a pretty decent price. With the price and the whole package system I figured it was a wise purchase.

I found that ENO makes top quality items. Everything, including the awful stretchy slap strap system, was built to last. I also found it all just too small. The tarp was way too small to be used during bad weather, the hammock was too short for my height (6ft), the cordage for the tarp lines was junk (tarp line hernias) and the suspension system that was included was made with the wrong materials (they've since fixed this) which i had to replace almost immediately to use. In the end the only things i truly liked (and still miss) about the system was the bugnet and the tent stakes.

I ended up selling it to a buddy who wanted to get into hanging. he has since started to swap out parts and making his own and is slowing handing the ENO down to his kids.

Now don't get me wrong the hammock was comfy but it was a lounger and not a sleeper, IMO- because of the length of the hammock and the small tarp. A lot of this could have been solved with more research on my part before the purchase but i was just too darn eager to get my swing on. I've since learned a bit more, have more experience with hammocks (hang time), and experimented with several options in equipment and have adjusted my upgraded system accordingly.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO PF
    Suspension
    Atlas
    Too short? That's odd, cause I'm 6'4" tall and the Eno seems plenty long enough for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondman View Post
    Too short? That's odd, cause I'm 6'4" tall and the Eno seems plenty long enough for me.
    All about personal comfort. My personal comfort (I'm only a short 6') likes a longer hammock more than a shorter hammock. As always HYOH on that front.

Here is the ENO, TrekLight, and TicketToTheMoon hammocks side by side. The far ends are aligned evenly, but you can see the difference in length. From left to right, ENO - TrekLight - TTTM:

I AM NOT knocking ENOs. Not at all! One of my first hammocks was an ENO and I probably have half a dozen of them. Excellent loungers! But if I'm taking one of these style hammocks to sleep in, it is almost always one of the other brands. Usually a TTTM rig. They seem to be the most comfortable to me. Genuine Draft would kill a person (quite slowly, I'm sure) if they tried to take my her TrekLight. She prefers the TL Double over any other hammock in the house. I got me a weird chic!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO PF
    Suspension
    Atlas
    I got me a wired chic too. But that's why we love em'. ;-)

Anyway, length aside, all three of these hammocks seem pretty similar. The ENO is 9'4" long and the others are about a foot longer. With a foot & a half to spare on either end of my ENO, I have plenty of room above my head and below my toes. So i don't suffer from hammock envy. Lol.

As long as your hammock works for you, that's all that matters.

Happy hammocking!

Cheers,

VM

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    Better? Worse? It's all personal preference. I do have to agree with the other posts that if it were not for ENO, there wouldn't be nearly as many people camping and sleeping in hammocks. Because of the company, their marketing, and the ready availability at local retailers, there are a lot more of us out here.

For me, an ENO was my introduction into hammock camping about a year or so ago. Why? Because it was easy. I could walk into the store, touch and feel the product, and walk out with my purchase and be camping that weekend. Since then, I found this forum and was introduced to a lot of other hammocks. Now my two personal favorites are my WBBB and my DIY camo hammock. That being said, my ENO still ends up hanging up its fair share of the time (especially with my kids).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast