Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Advice on joining two pieces of Climashield

Wondering how I should join two pieces of Climashield (both 5 and 2.5) to get some extra length?

Neglected any head or foot overhang in my calculations and only order 2 yards of CS (in each weight) for my 6 foot frame. In looking at other full length designs noticed that many go to 78" which wold leave me 6" short (plus hem).

So how would anyone suggest I add a piece of the cutoff from the side to the foot in order to extend my CS to the required length?

I do really want the UQ to go the full length and not end up regretting shortchanging a few inches later on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Adding length

If you want to keep things smooth at the joint I would hand sew the 2 pieces together with looping stitches about 1/2" from the edges of both pieces and pull snug...use a long needle and guterman thread...take your time.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree. Quilting stitchs would work ok.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    You might also want to take a strip (maybe 6" wide) of the softest mesh/lightweight material you can find and use it as a joining strip - overlay it over the 'seam' and handstitch it in place by taking really long basting stitches scattered across the entire overlay (not just in rows). You don't want to go all the way through the climashield, just partway into it. IIWM, I'd be tempted to do it on both sides of the climashield so that the seam was supported on both sides.

My concern with just attaching the two pieces of climashield at the edge is that it will pull apart after some use and washing.

To hold the mesh/material in place while you work, I'd use 'quilt basting spray' - if you've never used it, it's wonderful for working with batting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    [QUOTE=The Old Boot;957795]You might also want to take a strip (maybe 6" wide) of the softest mesh/lightweight material you can find and use it as a joining strip - overlay it over the 'seam' and handstitch it in place by taking really long basting stitches scattered across the entire overlay (not just in rows). You don't want to go all the way through the climashield, just partway into it. IIWM, I'd be tempted to do it on both sides of the climashield so that the seam was supported on both sides.

I just finished adding climashied to a quilt I am making, I added it over the shoulder area, because I need extra warmth in that area. I like the idea of supporting the seam with an overlay, like I would use when working with lace.

I am going to redo what I did last night, I basted everything thing together, to night I had planned on putting the top and bottom on the quilt, and finishing off. I have some really light silk, that is strong, I think that will work very nicely.

Thank you for the heads up, warning.

• + New Posts