Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Cool roject.

With this kind of weight it is definitly something I am going to look into in the future. I think there are plenty of other things in my setup right now I can change to lighten the load. After I get everything else where I like it, I'll have to look into this stuff.

A couple of questions. Do you think this stuff would hold my 220+ lbs self? Also you are talking about use as a tarp and rain gear. How do you think it will repel water after some use? I am wondering if it will hold up to a lot of use.

Also in terms of getting a better feel, have you considered washing it first? People have used the on tyveck and had good sucess with it loosening up the fabric.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Cuben Fiber - Speer Design
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images
    hammock engineer,

I have some heavier weight Cuben Fiber that may hold your weight. It weighs 0.49 ounce a sq yard but more important it is a 4 cord fiber. The standard light Cuben Fiber has spectra and carbon fiber cord running in two directions. To strengthen the fiber Cuben increases the density of the cords. This brings the weight up but makes it stronger.

The Cuben Fiber I use for my backpacks is the 0.49 ounce per sq yard 4 cord product. It has cords running 4 directions. If you drew a square and connect the 4 corners and then connected North to South and East to West you have the way the 4 cord fiber is laid out. I have 3 different versions of the 4 cord. It ranges from 0.49 ounce a sq yard to 0.99 ounce a sq yard. This stuff is really strong but you pay more for it when it is available.

The Cuben Fiber is made out of completely water proof material and is not like something that uses a coating to make it water proof. I also don't think it is really necessary to do something special with this stuff to get a "better feel".

Cuben Fiber is some amazing stuff.

Images
    Cuben Fiber is used for sails, so it will take a pretty good beating. Quest Outfitters has 0.48oz Cuben fiber

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images
    Ivleph,

That is the same as I used on my Hammock. Mine was trimed a little more but it is the same product number.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    It would be strictly 3 season though, but then the Cuban material hammock you showed is probably only 3 season also.
    I'm curious - why does the hammock material limit its weather usage?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    bill's hammock is 50.5" wide. that's about the width i like to use. i suspect that because bill was trying to get in & lay down before the 10 sec timer on the camera went off, the sides are probably bunched up more than they need to be.
    in other words, there is probably a little more width there than it appears.

but as for the length, some of my favorite hammocks have been around 10" from knot to knot (or whip to whip), but i'm pretty sure that bill's hammock was 10.5 foot BEFORE he tied the knots.
    so it's shorter than i believe i would be wanting to use because of the reasons you mentioned (like loosing the pillow & quilt).
    bill could probably make an SUL pea pod that would work well with that hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The narrow hammock is an interesting idea, though. I'm probably going to try a really narrow one at some point - I say "really" narrow because my current Speer-type is 50", narrower than most peoples'.

As far as insulation, here's an idea - instead of tucking the top quilt between you and the hammock, tuck it between the hammock and the underquilt, making a sort of Peapod. The Peapod idea in general would work quite well with a narrow hammock, because you'd avoid the large air space problems that have apparently been limiting its stand-alone temp range so far.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The narrow hammock is an interesting idea, though. I'm probably going to try a really narrow one at some point - I say "really" narrow because my current Speer-type is 50", narrower than most peoples'.

As far as insulation, here's an idea - instead of tucking the top quilt between you and the hammock, tuck it between the hammock and the underquilt, making a sort of Peapod. The Peapod idea in general would work quite well with a narrow hammock, because you'd avoid the large air space problems that have apparently been limiting its stand-alone temp range so far.
    that could work.
    another idea i've talked about is using a pea pod (speer or home made) & adding attachment loops on the inside of the pod (maybe two attachments each side) that would attach the pod to the hammock & allow you to leave the top open & hanging down on both sides, but keep it snug against the hammock like any other underquilt.
    you could also give it some slack at the attachments to allow ventilation when needed.
    with a narrow hammock the sides of the hammock would not hold the pea pod up off of you (creating an air space) when it's zipped shut like most hammocks & lessen the need for a separate top quilt.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images
    I was sure someone would mention the way I was laying in the Hammock. Slowhike is right there is only so much you can do in 10 seconds. I will try and get someone to take some more pictures of me in the Hammock.

The distance from knot to knot is 9 feet. I have been in the Hammock several hours each day and given a little time to squrm around a bit, the size is fine for me. I have a Warmlight Down Air mattress that I use in my Silk Speer for cold weather and will see how it fits inside the Cuben Fiber Hammock tonight or tomorrow. The Hammock needs to be able to work from early spring to mid fall.

I have had my MAC-Cat Tarp hanging over it all day and think the new Cuben Fiber Tarp will be at least as large as it is. My MAC-Cat is 11 foot long along the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    I have had my MAC-Cat Tarp hanging over it all day and think the new Cuben Fiber Tarp will be at least as large as it is. My MAC-Cat is 11 foot long along the ridgeline.
    Hmmm...I guess a BlackCat made out of Cuben wouldn't really be a BlackCat...maybe a CubeCat?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast