Cuben Fiber - Speer Design
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

Cuben Fiber SUL Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    It looks okay but for me to sleep diagonal I would need it to be longer. What is the width on that hammock.
    The Cuben Fiber Hammock is 50.5" wide by 126" long.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Do you do any kind of hemming on the edges? What's Cuben like to sew?

Cuben would make a killer tarp.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    The Cuben Fiber Hammock is 50.5" wide by 126" long.
    It probably needs to be a bit wider.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You could sew 2 pieces of Cuben together and get a tarp that is over 8' wide which would be plenty of coverage.

NM

You're talking about the hammock.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-07-2007 at 15:39.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    It probably needs to be a bit wider.
    My current favorite DIY hammock was 50" before hemming. Plenty wide for me. I made one 60" wide too, but with an underquilt you end up with a lot of unused width anyway - at least I do. I'll probably use the wider one in the summer because it IS more comfortable, but I'll stick with the narrower one for use with a UQ.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images
    headchange4u,
    I have been napping in the new Hammock. It is not necessary to hem the edges of the Cuben Fiber.

I am working on the final size for a new Cuben Fiber Trap for this Hammock. It will be somewhere in the 11 foot by 8 foot box. The Cuben Fiber that I will use for the tarp is 48" wide. I will tape two pieces together to make it about 8 feet wide. There are several really good double-sided tapes that work great with Cuben Fiber so there is little or no sewing necessary. The weight of the Tarp should be about 5 ounces. I made a smaller Poncho / Tarp out of Cuben Fiber and the Poncho part alone weighed about 2.2 ounces. The Poncho / Tarp was made out of a lighter version Cuben Fiber.

Ivleph,
    I have made or own 10 Hammocks to include two old Army Jungle Hammocks. The Jungle Hammock is about 32" wide but is what I call a spreader type Hammock. I am not a big person and only weigh about 155 pounds so I don't need something really wide. My "0" degree Hammock set-up has a Down Air Mattress that I put inside the Hammock and then I use something like a Down Top Bag that connects to it. Lots of Down and very warm. That Hammock is also about 50 inches wide.

Images
    It just looked uncomfortable, and so wider would be more comfortable.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Gardenville - glad you made it here...welcome!

I'm not clear on why you need the webbing/cord/fitting setup for the support. Was the support abrading the cuben? Does it act as an isolator to keep water from running into the hammock?

If the non-breathable fabric feels good enough against the skin and isn't too warm, my only concern would be making sure no water gets inside....you'd have a big bathtub! Not a problem when you're in it under the tarp obviously...but if you left it set up while you ran into town or something it might happen by accident.

Crazy lightness...kludos. Feel free to link to your site, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

Cuben Fiber SUL Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Gardenville - glad you made it here...welcome!

I'm not clear on why you need the webbing/cord/fitting setup for the support. Was the support abrading the cuben? Does it act as an isolator to keep water from running into the hammock?

If the non-breathable fabric feels good enough against the skin and isn't too warm, my only concern would be making sure no water gets inside....you'd have a big bathtub! Not a problem when you're in it under the tarp obviously...but if you left it set up while you ran into town or something it might happen by accident.

Crazy lightness...kludos. Feel free to link to your site, too.
    Hi Jeff,
    The primary reason for the "webbing / cord/ fitting set-up" was to avoid the sawing action of the small cord on what ever the Hammock was made out of. I made a really light silk Hammock once and used that white cord. The cord sawed through the silk and dropped me one day. Not hard just sort of slow-motion. This webbing /cord ... set-up weighs 0.85 ounces and I have a lighter one to replace it with that weighs 0.26 ounces. A secondary benefit should be to keep water from running into the Hammock from the straps.

How many backpackers do you know that carry a more or less full size 3 ounce bathtub with them. If it was warm enough I guess I might be able to collect enough water to take some kind of bath. Water gets heavy in a hurry but it should hold my weight in water easy enough. Almost to funny to think about but it might happen once just to say I did it.

I have had two naps in the new Hammock today. Funny how I just want to take a nap as soon as I get into a Hammock. When I hang them really low I almost always wake up with one of my cats in the hammock with me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's funny - my cat comes running when she hears me get into the hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast