Lightest Hammock & Grand Canyon Question

Going to be doing a 16 day kayaking trip thru the grand canyon this summer. Here is the catch, its self support, meaning I can only bring what I can fit in my kayak for 277 miles down the Colorado river. We will have no raft support.

My main shelter will be a Fly Creek Fly/Footprint which I hope to never have to use as sleeping under the stars is what most people do on summer trips. Its going to be HOT and obviously there are no trees but a few of us have kicked around the idea and experimented with hanging between two boulders. I will have 75' of rope and a couple of assorted pieces of webbing in my rescue kit that could be used for anchor points. A good number of the campsites are near or next to some pretty large boulders. Since its going to be so hot I think it would be worth it If I could get even one or two nights in a hammock. Also it would be great for chilling out during the day when we are not paddling. Another issue is environmental impact as I certainly dont want to harm or damage this beautiful place. Any thoughts on this?

My next question would be whats the lightest hammock that would hold up a 215 pounder. I dont really want to take my WBBB as its a bit heavy being the DL 1.7 and I really dont want to subject it to that kind of abuse.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you want to stick with the WB brand, get a single layer 1.7 Traveler. If you want lighter, go with a single 1.1 Traveler. I'm about 30 pounds heavier than you and have spent many a night in a single 1.1; it won't be as comfortable due to stretch, but it still beats the snot out of the ground.

I don't see any lasting impact tying to boulders. Watch out for the lichen, I guess, but otherwise you should be good. I haven't had great experience with rope/cord on boulders. Webbing provides much more surface area to grip to the boulder. I know you are restricted by space and weight, but the webbing will be much easier in that situation.

Have fun! Sounds great.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Creekjunction, all I can say is "you lucky dog". I have done it in a raft, which is rather luxurious compared to your trip. I assume you will re-supply at Phantom Ranch? Still a long haul on, what they call lower half, which is really about 70% if you are going all the way to Lake Mead.

My GC trip is what made me look for alternatives, which led me to this website and hammocking. I have done subsequent rafting trips on the Middle Fork Salmon, Yampa, and Selway rivers, and the hammocks were a dream come true. However, I did not yet have a hammock and wasn't looking at thing through a hammocker's eye. I think it will be very difficult to use one on the river. Capsites are not pre-assigned and are 1st come in the Canyon. some of the drainages have trees but you are not allowed to camp within x feet of them.

If you are there in the summer, near the rocks is the last place you will want to sleep. That black schist is like being near a furnace. The closer to the water's edge, the cooler the air. The rafting guides all sleep on their rafts. I carried a tarp to set up if there was a threat, but only used it a couple times.

I wish you luck and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    If you are there in the summer, near the rocks is the last place you will want to sleep. That black schist is like being near a furnace. The closer to the water's edge, the cooler the air. The rafting guides all sleep on their rafts.
    Hammock Raft? That would be awesome

Hi! So how did everything turn out?! I'd love to hear about your experiences!

I'm new to hammocking and heading down the GC in 2 weeks. I am building a hammock stand that integrates with my raft frame, for this exact reason, the heat; I heard everyone sleep on their boats. I'll be sleeping *over mine. Perhaps I'll make a build thread. I have some sweet visions of it and I'm getting started tomorrow when my HH Expedition gets here. I'm also taking my simple $10 nylon hammock for nights without bugs.

Hammock
    Currently eno single
    Tarp
    Silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle soon;)
    Images
    I would look in to climbing protection as a option as well it's a bit expensive but I know lots of people that only hang on it because they camp in climbing crags

Ok, so I dove in and came up with this. I will be sleeping in it tonight. I'll probably throw the HH Expedition on there though, or try each over the weekend.
    http://imgur.com/rdHmSB0

Top and bottom joints http://imgur.com/1krFH8F http://imgur.com/fRSYlsr

• + New Posts