AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Grand Canyon, Hammocks in the Desert

This will be a long thread with a LOT of pictures.

Several months ago MuseJr. and I started kicking around the idea of doing a backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon. By the end of February/early March we start getting a strong pull to get out of the cold weather and snow of Southern Idaho and Northern Utah and hit the road looking for sun and fish. For a little over a year I have been reading of some fishing in a small feeder creek that flows into the Colorado River in Grand Canyon National Park. From a few reports the fishing sounded good and the weather potentially warm by late Feb.

The challenge came as we continued to do our research. We found that due to the limitations of the environment of the park and very few trees, hammocks are not a favored shelter by the rangers that oversee the campgrounds in the park, even though the NPS does not have a set rule against Hammock use in parks. With hours of searching we had a feeling that we may be able to use some of the shade shelters that are part of some of the campgrounds and that we may be able to hang upwards of 4 of us. So we threw out the invite to a couple of longstanding forum members, Te-Wa and Dejoha, to make it a mini group hang. With our group set, we submitted for our back country permit.

Several weeks later our permit was approved but with a note stating that hanging was not likely going to be an option. Long story short. Dozens of emails, more research, a lot of luck and commitments to not damage the shelters and provide feedback on our experience to the park so that in the future they may work on a permanent hammock option for the campgrounds(more on that later) and we were given a green light.

Gear lists were made, changed, double checked, changed, adjusted and flat out thrown out the window. Custom Suspension parts and pieces were made and packed, last minute quilts were built, flies were tied, food lists were made and adjusted and all was packed.

Here is a couple pics of my gear just 2 nights before heading out - It only changed a little both before leaving home and at the trail head.

FOOD: 10 Tortillas, 2 smoothie mixes, 3 bags of 3 Oatmeal packets, 3 dinners, 1 dark chocolate bar, 3 snickers, 3 fruit bars, 4 packs of peanut butter, 2 packs of PB crackers, 4 gatorade mix packs, 1 bag with peach Oolong tea + tea bags, and 2 packs of Parmesan cheese. I ate everything but the Parmesan Cheese (gave one to Dejoha) and one bag of Oatmeal. At the small store at Phantom Ranch I purchased 4 more double Snickers, 4 drink/electrolyte powder mixes and 2 beers.

Main Gear Pile. From Top Left: Food bag with all pictured above, Bear Pillow, FlameThrower Socks, Thermal pants, Green REI Thermal Shirt, Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Gloves, Buff Half Finger Sun Gloves, Underwear, Buff, 2 Pair Smartwool Socks, Black Rock Hat, Bathroom Kit (used very little of this), Thermal 1/2 Zip Shirt, Tilley Hat, Headlamp, flex neck light, First aid kit( with extras spread out below...spare contacts, Advil, tums, eye drops, soap, tweezers, tooth brushes, Chapstick) pants, 2 tarp stakes, suspension extension and chain links, Stick Pick, camera and my trekking poles on the far right edge.

The Rest: Trash bag/pack liner, AHE stuff sack pack, Golite rain pants, Wind jacket, 2 bottles of water, stove + pot, wind screen, spoon, pot gripper, fuel, Sawyer squeeze, pack towel all spread out below and right of water bottles. Mid pic: Diaz tools Frog Leg Knife, Folding Tenkara net, Fly box, lines, tipper and bag + Headphones for iPhone and rods in Green bag. 1/2 tarp + guy lines and map with permit on the right side.

I took a RidgeRunner No net + Spindrift sock, custom FlameThrower UQ and a new Top Quilt that we built just before the trip.

Working hard to get orders caught up and shipped before I headed out at 6PM to hit the road for the drive to Salt Lake where I would meet up with MuseJr. We set out at about 11:30 for the Canyon and drove through the night to get to the park entrance around 8:30AM. We were met with temps that hovered in the single digits as the sun was coming up. We played tourists for a little bit....

.....found some souvenirs for the family and found some breakfast. I snapped a few pictures and got changed from road trip to hiking clothes.

When Dejoha made it to the parking lot, him and I headed over to the Backcountry Office to meet up with the supervisor who had given us special permissions for some of the hammock locations for our trip. Dejoha had a copy of his book to leave and a few handshakes and we were headed for the trail. Te-Wa sent me a text saying he was running a few minutes late and to head out, he would catch up.

The upper portion of the trail is snow and ice covered, with much of it in perpetual shade this time of year.

There were a few slippery spots but most of it was fine with careful steps and the help of trekking poles for balance.

We spent a lot of stops taking pictures.

At about 1.5 miles Te-Wa caught up to us and we began to transition form the upper frozen sections into muddy patches and then finally into warmer and dryer lower areas.

Just below the 3 mile rest shelter we hit one of the denser sets of switchbacks.

Looking Back Up

Eventually the trail levels out and makes a more gentle decent as you cover the final mile to the first campground, Indian Gardens.

Upon arriving we set about work to see how we would be able to hang our hammocks without the use of trees. At I.G. there are a couple of options that worked for us (remember this was with specific approval to hang.)

The shade shelters that are in place at each site would prove to be near perfect for setting up smaller gathered end style hammocks. Combined with the stout pack hanging poles, to keep your gear up away from mice and squirrels that will devour any salty item, came into use. Dejoha was able to set up hanging diagonally in one shelter, while I attached one end to the same shelter and a pack pole. MuseJr and Te-Wa set up on another again using one of the poles on one end of one hammock.

My RidgeRunner with Spindrift for the night

As the sun started to drop over the canyon walls the cool air off the rim began to flow into the gully and down onto the campground. The temps dropped quickly as late afternoon turned into early evening and darkness settled into the campground. Dejoha layered up and soon took the new trail name Ninja Turtle.

Dinner time:

It did not take long for us all to retreat to our hammocks and some warm insulation. With Musejr. and I both working on 30 some hours of being up we were quickly snoozing.

Dejoha in his Grand Trunk with a poncho for a weather shield.

One thing to understand about these hiker campgrounds in the canyon is that each site is packed in right next to each other. I awoke around midnight to the sound of our groundling neighbors working to start a chain saw a few yards away. Now I know that each of us, myself included, had been sawing logs so I can't say anything bad but this guy was working with industrial grade gear. I lay awake for a bit then gave in and took some ZZZZQuill that I had packed and was soon back out working on competing for loudest snorer in the campground.

Morning came early and was cold. MuseJr. had hot tea ready and with some oatmeal in the guts and rays of sunshine down the canyon beckoning we were soon on the trail.

Dejoha and Te-Wa had decided to take a spur trail and connect to one of the other trails to the river while Musejr and I would take the Bright Angel trail to the bottom and we would meet up at the campground. So shortly out of the campground we split up for the morning.

MuseJr and I made good time and worked our way down the mostly gentle decent in good time.

Before long though we hit the main switchback section of the lower trail. A series of short but fairly steep switchbacks drop elevation quickly.

I had to stop with the morning sun and try out a fresh StickPic that Rod had gotten out to me for my new poles just before the trip.

A little more down the trail and we had a couple of slick crossings of the nearly dry feeder creek.

And finally the river came into sight.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Part 2

From this point it’s a final 1.5 miles up river, over the bridge and through the woods to camp....sorry could not resist.

Shortly after we got to camp Te-Wa and Dejoha strolled in and we had some lunch. I was soon ready to rig up my Tenkara gear and get to work along the stream.

It did not take long before I had my first Grand Canyon Trout. A decent little rainbow that raced about the creek before coming to my net.

A few moments later I had the second fish to hand.

Te-Wa snapped this pic and back to the stream the fish went.

From there we all strolled up the trail to Phantom Ranch. P.R. is basically a tourist hub at the bottom of the canyon, they have small cabins for rent, bunk houses and a small cantina/restaurant. Everything is brought in and out by mule...including the wealthy tourists and the $5 a can beer. Which we felt obligated to partake in. After a beer and a little chatting I headed on up stream to fish for the afternoon....for this I would miss all the fun back at camp but come away with several nice fish added to my total. In all I covered a couple miles up the trail along the creek before the sun was climbing the canyon walls and leaving me hiking out as evening approached.

One of the larger Rainbows of the trip.

First Brown trout of the trip.

The trail heading up canyon from where I turned around.

When I strolled back into camp the jokers tried to tell me that we were not going to be able to hang from the shelter or the trees, telling me that we now had our pre-approval to hang revoked because I was not there when the ranger came around to check permits. I considered dumping them each from their hammocks around 3 AM but I was asleep then so I never did get around to that.

Dejoha working to get into his hammock...with limited hanging options the guys were set several feet off the ground which made getting into the hammock almost comical....The shelters are absolutely not ideal for hammock use.

Te-Wa's Traveler hung.

Dejoha settled in for some evening reading.

We had a number of visitors including the neighbors from the next campsite...An REI employee hiking group...that wanted to check out the hammocks. Dejoha spent much of his time around camp being the group PR rep, explaining the benefits of hammock camping as they related to the canyon and camping in general.

Dinner was had and before long we were headed back up to the cantina for an evening beer.

Te-Wa followed that up back at camp with some craft beer. He packed in 9 cans.

The next morning was brought with a number of the campers in other sites busy working to pack and get on the trail early. I took my time getting up, as is my custom and enjoyed stretching in the hammock before breakfast.

The View from my RR.

Once up and moving this was to be my fishing day and as Te-Wa and MuseJr rigged up their western rods I was fast on the stream, simply extending my Tenkara rod and ready to fish. And the fishing was good. I worked my way up and down along the campground, down to the river and back up again.

Final Fish of the trip for me just as the shadows were getting long.

I headed back to camp only to find out that again I had missed the ranger. But we decided that this would be an early night as we needed to hit the trail first thing in the morning. So a quick group pic and it was soon time for dinner followed by bed.

PGibson, Te-Wa, Dejoha, MuseJr.

MuseJr. and I stayed up for a bit until the cantina opened up, I had gone through all of the food I had carried in and needed a few supplies for the hike out...mostly $2.75 king size Snickers and some drink mixes.

The sound of Dejoha packing woke me earlier than I had planned, he was hot to get down the trail and home. He headed out of camp at 6:30

Te-Wa was up and packing and Musejr was working to get his gear in order.

Te-Wa had his gear loaded and was out of camp at 7:00

I shot a couple last pictures around camp, MuseJr. and I hit the trail at 7:30

We were working to get out of the canyon at a comfortable pace but I just had to shoot some pictures as the sun rose and lit up the canyon as we hiked.

Finally the upper canyon came into view....just 3,000 feet of elevation left to climb.

The upper section that had been mostly frozen for the hike in was now a mixed bag of ice, dirt covered ice, snow, mud, dirt, more snow, ice and more mud.

But the views were amazing in the last few hundred fee to the top.

Looking back down the trail at MuseJr...sorry bud...felt the top and just had to go. (Musejr small black dot in center)

When we finally topped out we had to search out some food, showers, and then drove down to Flagstaff for a hotel for the night before starting the 10 hours back to Salt Lake, before I then started the final 5 hours home.

All in all this was an amazing trip to an awe inspiring place with some great company. Getting to meet and hang with Te-Wa and Dejoha as well as my good buddy Musejr again made for a great time. So to my Driver, PR Rep and Brewmaster Thank You for a great trip.

Proceeding forward we are working towards making recommendations to the park for more suitable and permanent hammock options. We are looking at what design and implementation it would take to have permanent hammock stands set up at a number of the campground sites for future use. We had to spend weeks working out permissions to hang from the structures and they are not a suitable long-term option. The rock shelter at Bright Angel CG is one of the normal "large group" sites, making it available to small groups of hammockers would force actual large groups to split up amongst many small sites. Something that would not work for busy times of year. As well this structure is not really a good option due to long term wear and tear. The structure, which was built in the twenties by CCC crews is full of aging mortar and rather rough rock. One of my straps has a good sized wear mark and will need to be replaced with only 4 nights of use on it. We are hopeful that we will be able to have the park install 2-4 large pipes at a couple of the regular camp sites to be used for hammocks. This would better facilitate the use of hammocks with a minimal footprint. This would allow the sites to still be options for groundlings but should a hammock camper chose to hang in the canyon they would have a safe option that would not impact the current structures or trees.

Out of curiosity after reading all of this...would you be interested in hammock camping at Grand Canyon National Park if there were hammock stands?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Very nice TR Paul. Makes me want to head out this weekend and do some hiking and fishing.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Fantastic trip report; thank you for taking the time to record it for us all to view. Makes me long for the desert SW and all of its amazing geology. Those were some beautiful trout as well, count me jealous on all fronts!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    WOW!!
    whenever i long for the canyon, i'll come back and re-read this trip report. takes me back already. you guys were super cool and we should probably start thinking of hooking up again for 'western hangers II' next spring.
    im thinking S. San Juans or Weminuche if the drive to Durango is ok for y'all. maybe Cascades in summer of '14
    you down?

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Insulation
    PLUQ Insulbright
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice post, congrats guys. I've lived in AZ since 95 and I have always wanted to camp the canyon. I had my doubts that there would enough areas to hang but it seems that there was no issues. This was one reason I've been searching for a portable stand option. Dejoha, how did the PLUQ hold up in the temps?

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Excellent!
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the trip report! I hope to be able to visit the Grand Canyon. I guess at that time, I would not be required to acquire a tent and I would be able to use my hammock.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    Wow
    What a trip
    What great views and then to catch those beautiful trout
    Thanks for sharing
    Koh

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Now that's a great trip.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast