Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    My girlfriend bought one last spring and we did a good amount of hammocking (all four seasons) with no troubles or worries. I bought one to put up in the yard this summer.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by laziboie View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to hammocks and wanted a low-cost option to enter the arena. It sounds like the GTUL is a great option, but I have one main hesitation:

• How reliable is it?

I have read several comments about folks having it rip right down the middle after a few uses, with them in it, stranding them in the field with no sleep system. A couple of these reviews are coming from Amazon.com. What are yall's thoughts on this?

If this is not the best place to ask about this then I apologize...please direct me to the proper section.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Matt
    Happened to me but I do weight 220# which is close to the rated 250 limit

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Why not go for the Hammock Bliss single hammock? It is the same price and it comes with suspension. OR your could get the Ticket To The Moon Single hammock for just 35$ great company great customer service great products. You can check out reviews from all three companies on my website campinghammockreviews.com the link is below. Good luck deciding I know how hard it can be.

Also the Byer of Maine Lite hammock, only $22. Grand Trunk is good but I find when you are getting basic gathered end single hammocks they are all very similar in comfort that the only thing separating them is price.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I was helping a friend set one up last and I thought to myself, "Self, these suspension lines look mighty thin..." but I replied, "C'mon, man, they wouldn't sell anything that wasn't rated to hold an average sized body, would they?" Well, this could have gone on for sometime, but my friend sat on the hammock, gingerly, and POP! The line failed before he had his full weight on it. He ordered whoopies and longer straps from Enlightened Equipment last night.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I was helping a friend set one up last and I thought to myself, "Self, these suspension lines look mighty thin..." but I replied, "C'mon, man, they wouldn't sell anything that wasn't rated to hold an average sized body, would they?" Well, this could have gone on for sometime, but my friend sat on the hammock, gingerly, and POP! The line failed before he had his full weight on it. He ordered whoopies and longer straps from Enlightened Equipment last night.
    The line that came with the grand trunk hammock? The stuff that came with mine has been wrapped around the same tree for maybe 5 years now, still holds me up. They must of switched their line. Crazy though....

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I suspect most of the "problem" tears arise from exposed metal on the hammocker. e.g. rivets on jeans, clipped on key rings, phones etc. the sharp metal nicks the cloth and the tear races across the width/length. Get into your hammock naked and the problem will not arise (make sure that your finger and toe nails are clipped short).

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    There enough "mature" hangers that naked hanging could be a problem. Ewww! Something's you can't unsee.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123