Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Pics!

Come on Grinder, show us your new hammock! It sounds awesome!

Adam

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    my camera's gone south.

Let me try my phone.

Later

Grinder

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    sorry stormcrow,

The only pictures I can manage look just like my avatar. If you want pics of any details, I can manage, I suppose, but when you're far enough away to see the whole hammock, they all look alike.

When I get the bug net done, ala Claytor, maybe a picture will be merited.

grinder

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    hello folks,

Long time, no post. I have been busy.

Thought I would report back on the hammock.

Biggest downfall is the width. imrisks 48 inch width cuts weight but seems to require sleeping in the banana position. All his pictures show him that way and I found it to be required. Unfortunately, I can't sleep through the night that way.

60 inches is required for a comfortable diagonal position (interestingly, the Henessy Hammocks are all 60 inches wide and designed for the diagonal position.)

So, the new hammock is relegated to "nap duty" on the back porch.

I'm also not enamored with the mosquito fold over bug protection, although it isn't well tested, since I can't sleep through the night. It seems to hang too close to my face for my comfort.

When I make another 60 inch wide hammock I'm going to try a separate bug screen that simply hangs over the edge of the hammock. That way, if you don't need it, leave it in the pack.

Thanks for the interest.
    Tom
    Last edited by Grinder; 08-23-2009 at 08:32. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Risk used to pull his hammocks very tight and not sleep on the diagonal. At one point he had switched to a diagonal lay...not sure which he stuck with.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Risk used to pull his hammocks very tight and not sleep on the diagonal. At one point he had switched to a diagonal lay...not sure which he stuck with.
    I make mine about the same width as Risk's, and can sleep on a diagonal okay. I suspect my angle is more acute than most. Much wider than about 50" and I start to feel like I'm in the belly of the beast.

FWIW, the smallest one I've made is 42" x 91". Okay only for naps, though.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    When I make another 60 inch wide hammock I'm going to try a separate bug screen that simply hangs over the edge of the hammock. That way, if you don't need it, leave it in the pack.
    Grinder
    I've made a hammock for my son and tested it up north a couple weeks ago. The bug net was just thrown over the ridge line and hung down past the hammock to the ground. It works fine until a slight breeze. It tended to blow the netting just far enough away from the edge of the hammock to allow a couple skitters to make thier way into my sleeping quarters.

My wife suggested sewing small pockets and add some weight (rocks, sticks etc) to stop it from blowing around. Good idea if you can ensure that every hang is high enough and the net doesn't touch the ground.

One thing I've been thinking is to not attach it (so it can be left in the pack if not needed) but use a bit of shock cord and some clips to snug it up to the underside of the hammock. Still working on this one ...... but as long as my son is a willing test pilot, I'll keep trying to find a way that doesn't require a zipper or velcro.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    FWIW, here's a work in progress that's a step in the direction I'm headed. My latest version of this is still not ready for prime time, but perhaps this could add some ideas to the mix.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I tried the loose fitting mosquito net on my first diy hammock. I did not have good luck with it. Whenever I would move the netting would open up a little and let skeeters in. I used the weighted netting, draped over the ridgeline. Skeeters seem to congregate under the hammock and any small disturbance (me moving), sent them buzzing around. It was a functional design as long as it sat undisturbed.

I ended up sewing the netting on one side completely, flopping the netting over the ridgeline and sewing velcro to the hammock. I sewed the hard sticky side of velcro first to the hammock, and was going to attach the soft side to the netting once I got everything aligned with pinning and measuring. Much to my surprise, the netting sticks really well to the velcro without another matching velcro closure.
    The netting stays put once closed, even when I'm rolling around in the hammock. It will pull loose when I kick or push hard on netting, but I figure that saves the netting from ripping.

My second diy, I wanted the option of totally removable netting, and built a sock. I put drawstring closures on each end, slip the netting over suspension, snug up the foot end tight, sit down and slide the netting over me to the head end. Once I'm all situated, I can reach up and snug the head end closed via the drawstring. I put two small cordlocks on the drawstrings to hold everything tight.

Your results may vary, depending on velcro and netting material. Mine works for me. The sock works very nice and gives you the option of going without netting, depending on season and preference.

I realized after my first loose net experience, that I wanted a safe secure zone from the bugs. I didn't like to have to wake up and swat one or two mosquitoes whenever I rolled over.
    My 2 cents
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Here's a take on the bugnet that hangs over both sides with pockets. It's completely removable as well. I had no issues with moving around and allowing mozzies to get in. Just put some spare gear or clothes in the pockets and it stays nice and snug no matter how I move around.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast