Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ

Grayson Highlands Loop Trip

I've been to Mount Rogers (Graysons Highlands SP) multiple times, but all the trips were 10 to 12 years ago. Could someone with more a recent visit or less gray hair remind me where the tree challenged areas are? I remember the area around Wise Shelter and the midpoint of the Pine Mtn Trail near the spring had lots of great trees. I don't remember if there are suitable trees around the Thomas Knob Shelter or Rhodo Gap. I'm leading a group of first timers otherwise I would just hike until the trees are workable.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    I've been to Mount Rogers (Graysons Highlands SP) multiple times, but all the trips were 10 to 12 years ago. Could someone with more a recent visit or less gray hair remind me where the tree challenged areas are? I remember the area around Wise Shelter and the midpoint of the Pine Mtn Trail near the spring had lots of great trees. I don't remember if there are suitable trees around the Thomas Knob Shelter or Rhodo Gap. I'm leading a group of first timers otherwise I would just hike until the trees are workable.

Thanks!
    What a great area to hammock in. Trees are everywhere except up on top of Wilburn Ridge. The Thomas Knob area is outstanding. Water is easily available. Approaching it SB on the AT, the grassy areas you share with the ponies have lots of perfect trees. Pick a new moon night and the Milky Way just bursts out at you. Enjoy your trip.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    I went in the spring and just past Wilburn ridge you will find a nice area with a natural spring and plenty of trees.I think it was called Rododendron Gap. Although some of the trees have quite a bit of algae or moss growing on them, but in general it wasn't hard to find spots. I remember seeing at least 7-10 others hanging as well.

Here is a map I found online that someone used where they camped in the similar vicinity

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Thanks! My last trip through Mount Rogers was part of a week long section hike. Even as remarkable as that area is, particular details of individual areas fade when combined with a hundred miles of trail and ten years of other trips.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Not much to add.
    Agree on the Wise shelter and nearby Wilson Creek.
    The midpoint of the Pine trail... I know there are spots near the spring on the Crest trail... Maybe this is the same thing?
    Thomas Knob and Rhodo gap... There are areas here but maybe not as accomadating for a larger group. 3-4 no problem. And there ate mtiple sites handling 3-4, just saying 6-7 together may be challenging.

• + New Posts