HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Standard
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Standard

buyer's remorse

Order my first hammock (Expedition) and expect to get early next week. But, I'm starting to have some buyer's remorse even before I take delivery. It seems that everyone has made modifications to their set up or has had to buy several before settling into the right fit. I am hoping its more of an issue with having access to too much information via the internet, and its just making my head spin.

Anyway, I am excited to get it and looking forward to setting the thing up sometime next week. Already planning to take it on a test run towards the end of the month along with some other new gear. Ended up also buying the Super Shelter taking advantage of their special offer.

May need to reach out this group for a little guidance on the set up.

Larry

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You won't be sorry. There is too much info to ponder and I used mine unaltered for two years and enjoyed every trip. The upgrades only effect the experience with minimal change.

None of them are like.. Oh man, how could I have lived without..>X... Except for going from a tent to a hammock..

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Relax and smile! It will be ok. You see lots of mods here but we don't all do them. Just those that do mod tend to post more about them.

I got my HH in the fall sale and use it almost once a week. More if you count the nap time every day or so The only mods I have done is to upgrade the tarp to a 10x10 (or 12 x12 for winter) and added a different ridgeline bag. I changed out tarps only because I like a "porch" to sit under. There was nothing wrong with the stock tarp. It did it's job and kept me dry.

I purchased a JRB Nest for UQ and a DIY down TQ. I will be adding some Dutch quilt clips so the Nest so it will stay around my shoulders better.

Get your HH, use it stock, then you can decided what, if any, mods you want to make.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As long you're not taller than 6 ft., the Expedition should serve you well. It was my first hammock, and it got me off the ground while I was plowing through all the information and choices on this site. It's better to be hanging than reading about hanging and trying to figure out what to buy. Excellent, affordable hammock hanging setup.

The only thing most folks say is skip the stock tarp and upgrade to the Hennessy Hex. The coverage on the stock tarp is pretty skimpy; works fine in a straight-down downpour but blowing rain it's hard to get adequate coverage, I've found.

You may eventually want to ditch the heavy rope suspension, but upgrading to whoopies is fairly easy.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Did you get bottom entry or side entry?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Standard
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Standard
    Thanks everyone. I think I am going to like it. Planning on a number of solo hikes this year and thinking that this is the way to go.

I got the bottom entry. Im only 5'8" so it should provide plenty of room.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    Hey, Larry,

I am new to the world of hammocks as well and can understand you feelings here. As is stated here.."Hang your own hang". Enjoy it.

I am starting out with a pretty much stock Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. I will try that for a while. It is great to see so much information here, but at the same time, I will decide what I want and when. f I run into a problem, then I am sure the folks around here will have suggestions to help, but no matter how much I read, I still need to experience things first hand and find out what I like.

Enjoy - OFG

Images
    Larry, rest easy. You choose well. I've got 4 HHs. I know it gets a little overwhelming looking at the mods folks have done but +1 on the advice from above. Use it stock for a bit and let your system come to ya. What works for or bothers one is different for another and another and another and a hole in the log at the bottom of the sea. You understand me I'm sure.

First rule of hammocks is relax...these things are fun. If you're not having fun you're probably not doing it right.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

No Problemo!

The HH Expedition is a fine hammock. Have one just like it with the btm entry.

One caveat: HH sez to set it up tight - It is better to follow the guidance her on HF and set some sag to give you the 30 degree angle from the ground to the suspension lines. With the stock setup the adjustments are a bit time consuming, which leads me to.........

Modification!

I have swapped the stock set-up for a set of Arrowhead Eq straps and buckles on Amsteel loops. Paul at AE can guide you through the mod. Makes it so much quicker to set. Oh, and make sure the foot end is a couple of inches higher than the head end so your butt settles away from the slit.

Many hangers have poo-poo'd the bottom entry, but it is the berries when skeeters are buzzing. Which leads me to .......

Modification #2!

A popular mod is to have 2QZQ add a zipper. One of these days I will do so.

Have a great hang.
    Jim

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I agree with a lot of what you've had said on this thread.

I used my stock HH Explorer Deluxe for over a year without modding anything at first. It worked just fine that way.

Then I started looking at making incremental changes to simplify hanging it...first went with biners/rings, which worked fine, then eventually to whoopie slings.

I too love the bottom entry for climbing into the hammock during mosquito season, or in storms where I have the tarp pitched tight to keep the wind/rain out.

But I've found that I also love having the 2QZQ mod and being able to reach in/out of the hammock on either side works well too.

Get it, use it...and as you've heard, figure out for yourself what you want to change over time...if anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast