Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I used to do an annual KMN trip every year for the peeps over at BPer.com. It was always a great time. I would try and reserve us some shelters for a weekend, but I can only get out on Saturday nights into Sundays right now. Best I can do is meet up with you guys for an overnighter somewhere.

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I used to do an annual KMN trip every year for the peeps over at BPer.com. It was always a great time. I would try and reserve us some shelters for a weekend, but I can only get out on Saturday nights into Sundays right now. Best I can do is meet up with you guys for an overnighter somewhere.
    Would you prefer Parnell Tower, Greenbush, or something else in the area (those are the only ones right?). Is there sufficient parking at both?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    There's great parking and easy shuttles at both. I personally like shelters #3 and 5 especially. The problem is reserving them. trying to get the ones you want to make a nice straight through hike for a group can be a challenge. Many people reserve them for one night as sort of a "base camp" instead of a backpacking shelter in which you move on (even though there's a one night stay policy at each) and there's close parking at all of them, so a lot of times, that isn't possible unless you reserve them at least 6 months in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by paulydanyl View Post
    I've read on the IAT portion through the park there. I've not done much actual backpacking though, I mostly go car based due to the preferences of the company I keep. I've got access to an old town canoe owned by the in laws, and have taken it out a few times. I'd love to hike the IAT. I'd even be up for a paddling trip if someone more knowledgeable than myself were willing to share a little of their experience and guidance with me as I've never camped from a canoe before.
    Paddling trips are the best way to experience nature. Here is a quote by Pierre Elliot Trudeau ... "Travel 1000 miles by train and you are a brute; pedal 500 miles on a bicycle and you are basically a bourgeois; paddle 100 miles in a canoe and you are already a child of nature"

Two of my favorite Wisconsin Rivers are the Wisconsin and the Kickapoo. I want to do a Kickapoo trip this spring. Canoe camping is great because you don't have to carry anything on your back, and can bring as much gear as your boat can hold. It's very comfortable, and paddling is like no other outdoor activity for me.

The backpacking trips on the IAT in that section are great local sections for gear testing, as they are isolated and you probably won't see anybody, but they aren't very remote and you won't be more than a mile or two from a road at any point. I might go hike there today actually with my dog for a little bit...

JGON

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm interested, but like Lorax might join up Saturday. I'm not a backpacker, although I do have a backpack. I don't have any hanging gear yet (strike that - what I have is crap), and am hoping to land a blank from DIY Scott. Waiting for the XL to come in. I'm probably 2 to 2 1/2 hours away from any of this (more if I take the twisties and enjoy the ride!).
    Seabear
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OK, here's the deal. Right now shelter #5 @ Greenbush is available on Friday April 26th and #4 @ Parnell is available Saturday the 27th. It's about 3 miles between the two with lots of loops between. If that sounds like something that some of you would like to do let me know and I'll go ahead and book them. We probably don't have a very large window though so let me know as soon as you can.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweedz View Post
    OK, here's the deal. Right now shelter #5 @ Greenbush is available on Friday April 26th and #4 @ Parnell is available Saturday the 27th. It's about 3 miles between the two with lots of loops between. If that sounds like something that some of you would like to do let me know and I'll go ahead and book them. We probably don't have a very large window though so let me know as soon as you can.
    Time and location work for me, I'm in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Shelter #5 is about the best spot to hang and the best shelter, #4 has some great options too just over the hill from the shelter. #6 is really nice too, but off the straight line through hike.

#5 has parking very close by on Kettle Moraine Drive and I usually hike in from Rt23 making it about a 5.2 mile hike. There is also parking at the group camp and an easy hike in that makes it about 1.5 miles.

If these are booked, I would gladly join up early Saturday morning.

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    We are booked for Kettle Moraine State Forest (KMSF) backpack shelter #5 for 4/26 and #4 for 4/27. I have the confirmations in hand so now all we have to do if find out who all is in and make our plans. So far we've heard from paulydanyl & Lorax. There is a chance that my 2 sons-in-law may join us. Who else? We have room for 10 each night although my guess is that there is flexibility in that number. Is that your experience Lorax?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I believe the max limit applies to the shelter area, regardless if its the shelter you are using, or tents/hammocks.
    It's often very hard to get shelters that are a decent mileage apart, but take what you can get and do some day hiking.

See who is in on this little adventure and work out some shuttles as it gets closer. Very easy to do there.

One of the advantages of hiking KMN is that with the ease of parking, one could plan a long hike or a short hike in from one of the parking lots depending on people who either want to bang out miles, or just go in someplace nice to try some new gear and hang out with others who enjoy the same. And since it's a straight hike through, car shuttling is always easy.
    Last edited by Lorax; 03-28-2013 at 14:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast