Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hang?

I'd be interested depending on the dates. I've switched up my gear a bit and wouldn't mind checking it out.

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JGON View Post
    Are you staying at one of the backpacking shelters on the ice age trail? I live in Hartland not too far from there...

Tumbleweedz I think you are pretty nearby to me as well. About a ten minute drive from Waukesha.

I'd be interested in a hang out there, but I also love taking out my canoe and a trip on the Kickapoo river is on my bucket list for this summer. Definitely would be a cool 2 or 3 night trip. I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

JGON
    I've hung at the primitive site at Lapham Peak on the IAT. Also stealth camped at the shelter site near Greenbush. Both have a lot of potential for an overnight. Lorax knows a bunch more about the Parnell/Greenbush area I think. Let's really try to get a quick "get to know each other" in the next few weeks. Easter rules out anything for me but the week after and beyond can work. I really would like to look toward something in the Black River Falls area but other than car camping at Wildcat Mtn State Park and paddling the Kickapoo a few times, I know nothing about it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Hung in the black river forest this past winter and would love to go back. Count me in depending on dates
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweedz View Post
    I've hung at the primitive site at Lapham Peak on the IAT. Also stealth camped at the shelter site near Greenbush. Both have a lot of potential for an overnight. Lorax knows a bunch more about the Parnell/Greenbush area I think. Let's really try to get a quick "get to know each other" in the next few weeks. Easter rules out anything for me but the week after and beyond can work. I really would like to look toward something in the Black River Falls area but other than car camping at Wildcat Mtn State Park and paddling the Kickapoo a few times, I know nothing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulydanyl View Post
    One of the established sites in the Ottawa lake campground, going as a car camping shakedown trip close to home to check out gear and packing for the season.
    There are three backpacking shelters along the IAT in Southern Kettle Moraine plus the primitive site in Lapham peak that are all a days hiking distance away from each other. It's 30+ miles in all, but I always wanted to hike the this section of the IAT and camp at each shelter. It goes from near Whitewater through Lapham Peak. Here's a map...

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/k...sforestmap.pdf

I've never been to Black River, but I'd love to check it out.

How many paddlers do we have here? I paddle a Novacraft Prospector and have gone at least once a month for more than two years (the weather shouldn't permit that in WI, but it has in recent winters). I have a loyal paddling companion in my Lab mix... his favorite thing to do is sit in front of my canoe and watch the river bank go by. I hang in a Clark NX-250. Can't wait to get together with you guys and talk gear!

JGON

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Another paddler here. I get away for a lot of quick weekends too with my old Lab/border collie mix. I paddle a Penobscot and a solo Blackhawk Zephyr.

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I paddle an old Penobscot and an ancient Grumman Big Chief, aluminum 17 foot circa 1952. Neither enough.

Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack...

Us Wisconsinites need to get together! I'll bring the Dutch Oven. Are you guys thinking about backpacking a significant distance for a spring hang?

JGON

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack...

Us Wisconsinites need to get together! I'll bring the Dutch Oven. Are you guys thinking about backpacking a significant distance for a spring hang?

JGON
    I don't think you've hi-jacked at all. By my calculation, we've got a lot of interest we just need to make some decisions. Where to go and when. First suggestion wins!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Humping a 12" dutch oven would be fun to watch... Come on man.. Four more miles! You're holding us back!

I really really really want a floating vessel. Kayak, Canoe, felled tree log... whatever. Ok, Kayak is likely going to be the one.. but it looks like there are many here who kayak.

I'd love to see what others are using and their opinions, their hammock setups and how they roll. That, to me, is one of the best aspects of a group hang.

I'm up north, but travel for a living.. so I don't care where it is held.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    There are three backpacking shelters along the IAT in Southern Kettle Moraine plus the primitive site in Lapham peak that are all a days hiking distance away from each other. It's 30+ miles in all, but I always wanted to hike the this section of the IAT and camp at each shelter. It goes from near Whitewater through Lapham Peak. Here's a map...

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/k...sforestmap.pdf

I've never been to Black River, but I'd love to check it out.

How many paddlers do we have here? I paddle a Novacraft Prospector and have gone at least once a month for more than two years (the weather shouldn't permit that in WI, but it has in recent winters). I have a loyal paddling companion in my Lab mix... his favorite thing to do is sit in front of my canoe and watch the river bank go by. I hang in a Clark NX-250. Can't wait to get together with you guys and talk gear!

JGON
    I've read on the IAT portion through the park there. I've not done much actual backpacking though, I mostly go car based due to the preferences of the company I keep. I've got access to an old town canoe owned by the in laws, and have taken it out a few times. I'd love to hike the IAT. I'd even be up for a paddling trip if someone more knowledgeable than myself were willing to share a little of their experience and guidance with me as I've never camped from a canoe before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast