GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    How far away are you from say....the Parnell Tower and the northern section by Greenbush?
    I'm in Waukesha, only about a 1/2 hour drive. I've hung at Greenbush but not at Parnell.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie

NW

I'm up in Ashland and probably won't be able to make it down south but if anyone is thinking of a hang in the NW then maybe we could set something up. I'm fairly new to hammock camping and only didn't go to the winter hang because it was kinda chilly and windy that weekend....
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I moved last summer from Brown Deer to Sparta and am much closer now to the Black River State Forest than the Kettle Morain. Black River is pretty big with lots of secluded areas off of the ATV and snowmobile trails.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweedz View Post
    I've read a little about it but never hiked/hung there. Have you?
    I've camped at the East Fork Campground within the Black River State Forest a couple separate times with success. While I didn't deploy any hammocks on these trips , I have little doubt a group hang would be an issue. My first trip was just a brief stay as a groundling - more of a quick sleep in between paddling. The second trip was for two nights (more paddling!) and we rented their group site, which is amazing! It's probably not what we'd be looking for as it includes a giant cabin, volleyball pit, baseball field, etc. Regardless, the "family campgrounds" would be more than suitable; they are your typical 4-8 person non-electric tent sites. Depending on how many hangers are present, I would think that we could find plenty of trees to hang from if we reserved 2 or 3 sites.

I'm not certain, but I believe there are some hiking/horse trails that originate or pass through this campground, so that could make for some convenient day hikes. As suggested by the name, this campground is situated right on the East Fk of the Black River, just upstream of Lake Arbutus. That being said, there are virtually endless paddling possibilities in the area. The East Fk is a nice lazy paddle with our potential campsite as the takeout - talk about easy shuttling! There's also some slightly more adventurous paddling on the main fork of the Black both up and downstream of Arbutus, as well as some super intense whitewater just below the Arbutus dam. If water levels are up, which they typically are in April, the Black's tributary creeks make for some beautiful little runs as well. Let's make something happen!

--Tim

Hammock
    GT SB-P
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tim, Thanks for all the info. Let's maybe shoot for something around there. Anybody else in?

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'd be interested depending on the dates. I'll be camping in Kettle Moraine South the weekend of the 18th in May. I think I'll follow this thread just to see what y'all wind up with and I'd love to join in if I can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulydanyl View Post
    I'd be interested depending on the dates. I'll be camping in Kettle Moraine South the weekend of the 18th in May. I think I'll follow this thread just to see what y'all wind up with and I'd love to join in if I can make it.
    Are you staying at one of the backpacking shelters on the ice age trail? I live in Hartland not too far from there...

Tumbleweedz I think you are pretty nearby to me as well. About a ten minute drive from Waukesha.

I'd be interested in a hang out there, but I also love taking out my canoe and a trip on the Kickapoo river is on my bucket list for this summer. Definitely would be a cool 2 or 3 night trip. I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

JGON

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JGON View Post
    Are you staying at one of the backpacking shelters on the ice age trail? I live in Hartland not too far from there...

Tumbleweedz I think you are pretty nearby to me as well. About a ten minute drive from Waukesha.

I'd be interested in a hang out there, but I also love taking out my canoe and a trip on the Kickapoo river is on my bucket list for this summer. Definitely would be a cool 2 or 3 night trip. I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

JGON
    One of the established sites in the Ottawa lake campground, going as a car camping shakedown trip close to home to check out gear and packing for the season.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo

Wisconsin Spring Hang?

As a Wisconsinite who caught the hammock bug late last year, I'd love to "hang around" with some local hangers!

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I work until 11pm on Friday nights. Anything reasonably close by and I can join up Saturday morning. For a while, I'm stuck with just overnighters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast