Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

Ice Storm

I'm in the belt that just had the big ice storm. Just about every tree has been damaged. Lots of trees have had the tops broken out, lots of limbs snapped off, lots of limbs fractured, lots of loose limbs still hanging. Since I live out in the woods it sounded like shear hell while it was raining freezing rain, trees and limbs were crashing constantly, all night long. It looks like I might be a ground dweller for a while, and I'll have to look for clearings. Come to think of it, I probably won't be doing a lot of hiking, our local trails look like brush piles.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I just heard that we had the 7th coldest January on record, and we are 14 inches ahead on snowfall. It has been a rough winter. However, we are fortunate in that there is nothing as damaging as ice. My sister lives in Ky. and she has been without power for 4-5 days now. It hurts to see so much damage to trees. When out this summer you will not doubt need to be aware of damage in the event of just summer breezes let alone a thunderstorm. My heart goes out to your area for sure.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I just heard that we had the 7th coldest January on record, and we are 14 inches ahead on snowfall. It has been a rough winter. However, we are fortunate in that there is nothing as damaging as ice. My sister lives in Ky. and she has been without power for 4-5 days now. It hurts to see so much damage to trees. When out this summer you will not doubt need to be aware of damage in the event of just summer breezes let alone a thunderstorm. My heart goes out to your area for sure.
    How can this be, I thought Algore had already proved the palm trees were headed north? Does anyone actually think he could be wrong?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    How can this be, I thought Algore had already proved the palm trees were headed north? Does anyone actually think he could be wrong?

The vast majority of the scientific community agrees with him.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Well, all the old timers always talk about the weird weather we have now. I live in the southern Missouri Ozarks where we don't really have "winters". We hardly ever get a "real" snow...just a few dustings a year, lately. The old timers talk of getting snows a foot or two deep and they stayed on for a while, and I'm old enough that I remember some of those in the 80s. They said it got cold in October and was fall, now we have like 70-80 degree days mixed in through the winter months...I've taken swims in Jan-Feb. Now, we just get crazy weather...sleet, ice, winter tornadoes, floods, etc.. No fluffy deep snows that are enjoyable, just the kind of weather that messes everything up.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    The old timers talk of getting snows a foot or two deep

Okay, I know I set myself up for you northerners and mountain men to heckle. Where I live, the residents put the car in four wheel drive if they see a snow flake fall. They aren't even smart enough to have a winter coat, but if the temp dips below 40 they complain about the cold.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Okay, I know I set myself up for you northerners and mountain men to heckle. Where I live, the residents put the car in four wheel drive if they see a snow flake fall. They aren't even smart enough to have a winter coat, but if the temp dips below 40 they complain about the cold.
    Four wheel drive on black ice is actually zero wheel drive. I can't count the number of times I have watched an invincible SUV barrel past me on the highway only to catch up a few kilometers down the road to find them facing backwards in a ditch.

Speaking of cars, the last time we had a major ice storm up here in 1998, it pulled down many of the 720kV hydro lines and in many cases the towers that held the lines too. Some places were without power for a month or more. The ice on the lines was several inches thick. One analogy that Ontario Hydro's spokesperson used stuck in my head. She equated the weight of the ice as the equivalent of hanging a Chevy Lumina every 100 feet.

I hope everybody impacted by the storm makes it through OK.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    LOL, Coldspring!! My daughter lives in Miami and was complaining about 30 degrees when we have had -23 and now have 26 inches of snow on the ground. I remember when I used to go to Florida in the winter and it would be 60-65 degrees and I would lay on the beach in my swimsuit and the locals would be in stocking caps and wool sweaters. It is all a matter of what we get used to. I get more used to the cold as winter goes on and take a while to adapt to the heat and humidity of summer.

I can't imagine the damage in northern Michigan if there was ice like that. The big white pines would be wiped out. Gore referred to unusual weather, particularly in the Midwest in his book as part of the consequence of global warming. I don't fret too much over it, not much I can do except to do what I can to lessen my carbon footprint. Mostly just live simply and consume less. One of the nice things about hanging as an avocation is that compared to race car driving for example, it is pretty simple. Then there is silnylon. . . . what a dilemma.

Images
    I'm in the belt that just had the big ice storm. Just about every tree has been damaged. Lots of trees have had the tops broken out, lots of limbs snapped off, lots of limbs fractured, lots of loose limbs still hanging. Since I live out in the woods it sounded like shear hell while it was raining freezing rain, trees and limbs were crashing constantly, all night long. It looks like I might be a ground dweller for a while, and I'll have to look for clearings. Come to think of it, I probably won't be doing a lot of hiking, our local trails look like brush piles.
    Yes, you will be dealing with this for years, as we were in the 90s. Those broken limbs will be hanging in the trees for a long time, always a threat. Some damaged trees won't finally fall for several years. And your trails will be trashed until some one manages to clear them with chain saws and work crews. I hate that this happened--- I hate ice storms.

Images
    Maybe so, and they might be correct in the consensus view, though I think some are starting to see the other side. Me, I don't know whether we have been in a natural warming cycle, or it is all man made, or a combination of both. But I do remember well when the vast majority of the scientist were proclaiming a new- and of course caused by man- ice age. Back around 75-79. Then it warmed up in the 80s before they could make any changes. But some wanted to take drastic action before the earth moved to far towards global cooling. I think some thought it was caused by all the pollutants in the air from auto exhaust and such. But those were some cold snowy winters!

The other thing I know is that around here, all the record highs were set in the 1930s- what about where you guys live? And that is just for the time period when there was someone here to measure the temps, who knows about 500 or 5000 years ago?

Scientific consensus does change over time. Like when calling for an ice age and then calling for the earth to be destroyed by heat only 20 years later. Or, among almost endless examples, when the good doctor Semmelweis in the 1800s first called for washing your hands when going from autopsying people dead from infectious disease to examining a pregnant patient in labor. After he forced his residents to wash their hands, his patients infection rates plummeted to very low. His fellow docs ran him out of his profession, for spouting such ridiculous ideas.
    http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/A...background.php

I'm just saying don't put TOO much faith in scientific consensus, even if you do pay some attention to it.

Any body know the latest facts on whether the earth has warmed any since 1998? Or has it actually cooled a bit?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4135857.stm
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-31-2009 at 16:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast