Tarp
    BigMamajamba Spinn
    Insulation
    Bag/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images

The plan...

The last day is actually easy. The second day could be a killer, but I plan to assess myself when I get to Island Pond. See the attached schedule.

Note - The mileage start and end numbers are for the 2009 AT I found online.
    Also, I've downloaded the GPX files for this hike from Backpacker/Trimble Outdoors and had a spreadsheet calculate the elevation gain/loss and the "GPS" distance. This data is in the last 3 columns. I use this information to gauge the difficulty of a planned day. I'm such a geek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Now that you've mentioned it, good luck. I have had two meniscus tears and repairs and two knee replacements done at the same time (both knees of course). If you have to go that far you can always send me a private message, as I know this is becoming common. I can tell you what you will go through in both cases. As for the hang, I have set it as I have said above for May 18-19 in Harriman. How many people would be interested? I think we would meet near Tioriti Circle and go from there.

Perrito: I don't know if you've done this section before, but the area above Greenwood Lake is tough with great views. I only hope they put the ladders back as it was not easy sliding down a sheer wall in one place. I do this once every few years to get in a hard hike. Wait until you are coming down "Agony Grind" That's bad enough going up. I happen to think that from Island Pond to the bridge is a cake walk, but that's only my opinion. If you really want I can give you the numbers from the AT guidebook.
    Last edited by nyhiker50; 04-19-2013 at 15:51. Reason: Added more

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I will et you know what the MRI comes up with. I have had a meniscus tear in that same knee about 7 years ago and had arthroscopy for it. I doubt I'm anywhere near knee replacements, at least I hope not.

I will know something next week about one of these trips.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    SPace 4, recently been through that also, on one knee, been running and biking for years, totally destroyed the meniscus, had 2 surgeries, now no cartilage left, as long as I don't run, its ok, you will be fine I suspect. Recovery was quick it took longer to get thru the initial assessment, mri and diagnosis than the actual recovery. It was about a year though before it didn't hurt after hard excercise

best regards

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeward419 View Post
    SPace 4, recently been through that also, on one knee, been running and biking for years, totally destroyed the meniscus, had 2 surgeries, now no cartilage left, as long as I don't run, its ok, you will be fine I suspect. Recovery was quick it took longer to get thru the initial assessment, mri and diagnosis than the actual recovery. It was about a year though before it didn't hurt after hard excercise

best regards
    Thanks Leeward. Yea This is what I'm expecting. It was quite a while before I was pain free. Bicycling seemed to be the best therapy for me, maybe because of the gentleness of the exercise and increasing blood flow to the area. My first surgery removed about 20% I was told so hoping to have some remaining. Best case is some cortisone shots which are sooooo great, totally making me pain free.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    "Thanks Leeward. Yea This is what I'm expecting. It was quite a while before I was pain free. Bicycling seemed to be the best therapy for me, maybe because of the gentleness of the exercise and increasing blood flow to the area. My first surgery removed about 20% I was told so hoping to have some remaining. Best case is some cortisone shots which are sooooo great, totally making me pain free."

The reason biking was so good is because it's not a weight bearing exercise. Swimming is great also, but this is not the place to start talking about it. Keep in mind what I was told: only a portion on the meniscus has a blood supply. I gave the worst case scenario so you could be prepared just in case. The only time you need replacement is if you're bone on bone.

Can this thread get back on topic?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Okay, back on topic. I'm still planning the hang in Harriman for May 18-19. For lack of a better name I'll call it the Harriman Bear Chaser Hang, We would meet at or near Tioroti Circle and take a trail from there. Would anyone be interested?

I need to know before I post in on the calender for the world to see. I think that no one would disagree if I said that weather conditions and other problems such as the red flag warnings prevented me from posting and planning the hang in the first place. If you do wonder why, just read back in this thread.
    Last edited by nyhiker50; 04-24-2013 at 11:32. Reason: to fix the wording

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Unfortunately I am out. Results from MRI came back meniscus tear, otherwise I would have been in for this or perrito's idea of an AT section hike. Good luck and I hope the trip is successful.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Just a quick note. Is anyone still interested in starting a discussion on the hang? I know it isn't for another three weeks yet but it will give us time for ironing out the details. Remember, if I make the hang, I will show up.
    Last edited by nyhiker50; 04-30-2013 at 22:52.