DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by berksound View Post
    I had a great time on this sweet little overnighter. We hiked this little section out and back, doing almost 5 miles the first day, looking for hang sites on the way out. We ended up hanging at almost the first site we liked, below an old beaver dam in a little hemlock grove. Fell asleep to the sounds of the creek and falls below the dam.

Jolly Green, G Hawk, and BobO(Scout78) are all more experienced than I, and I learned things from each one of them, especially Bob. He had great stories from years of hiking and mentoring scouts, and gave me many quiet tips along the trail and in camp. A treasure of a hiker who I spent a mere 24 hours with, and will remember for the rest of my life.

G hawk tutored me on my hiking poles and watched me get more comfortable with them and now finally I can I say I view them as indispensible tools and not hindrances. My knees now really love them on downhills. More points of contact, yayy!

Jolly Green was our hero on the way out, hiking fast the last mile+ out in the am and coming back for BobOs 25 lbs of pack. He and Bob finished out together, male bonding while G Hawk and I chatted at the rear.

I felt good about my pack weight of 16 lbs with consumables (about 2 lbs of food and 72 oz. of water), and when I got home I shaved 8 oz. out of my ditty bag and bits based on what I had not been using the last 2 hikes. But then I ordered 2 hip belt pockets (.7oz each)from Gossamer and a set of tarp skins from WL (1.2 oz) to replace My shredded DIY scrubbie snakeskins.
    Sounds like an awesome trip! It's always cool hiking with people that work with scouts - always very knowledgeable, and I too like to learn something new on each trip.

16 lbs is amazing! My full pack is 25 with food fuel water and, er, booze. My big 4 (hammock, quilts/pads, backpack) is 8.5 lbs with 9.75 lbs for clothing, cooking, water filter, bottles, emergency, etc. 7.5 lbs for food fuel and water (2 liters). Always trying to trim the load but not sacrifice comfort.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip! It's always cool hiking with people that work with scouts - always very knowledgeable, and I too like to learn something new on each trip.

16 lbs is amazing! My full pack is 25 with food fuel water and, er, booze. My big 4 (hammock, quilts/pads, backpack) is 8.5 lbs with 9.75 lbs for clothing, cooking, water filter, bottles, emergency, etc. 7.5 lbs for food fuel and water (2 liters). Always trying to trim the load but not sacrifice comfort.
    I think our big four(sleep, shelter, pack, and cook kit) is not too far off- I'm at 7 lbs. All the rest -bits, bottles, clothes packed but not worn, phone, etc.- puts me at 10 lbs or closer to 11 when I throw the down sweater in there. That leaves food fuel and water which means I might have been closer to 17 than I thought- but I did weigh before I left. Maybe you are counting the clothes you are wearing too- like skin out weight?

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I think our big four(sleep, shelter, pack, and cook kit) is not too far off- I'm at 7 lbs. All the rest -bits, bottles, clothes packed but not worn, phone, etc.- puts me at 10 lbs or closer to 11 when I throw the down sweater in there. That leaves food fuel and water which means I might have been closer to 17 than I thought- but I did weigh before I left. Maybe you are counting the clothes you are wearing too- like skin out weight?
    This is what I carried on my last weekender

Headlamp 3
    First aid kit 4
    Water purifier 14
    Water bottle 4.6
    Water canteen 3
    Sit pad 3.3
    Compass 2
    Map 1
    Ursack (3oz) + rope (3 oz) 6
    Trowel, toilet paper 5
    Towel 1.2
    Rain jacket and pants (jacket 14.4 + pants ankle zip 8) 22.4
    Camera (with belt case) 8.5+1.7 10.2
    Phone 6
    Clothes 32
    Stuff sacks bags etc 3
    Tooth brush / paste 2

I love my katadyn hiker pro but its a bit heavy and I'm considering going to the sawyer squeeze. I also have forgone the rain pants sometimes on an overnight but like them for anything more remote. Camera is a luxury and my iPhone can double as a camera but I guess this is another luxury I prefer to carry. I guess I am closer to 7 and change additional carry.
    John aka Suede

Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    This is what I carried on my last weekender

Headlamp 3
    First aid kit 4
    Water purifier 14
    Water bottle 4.6
    Water canteen 3
    Sit pad 3.3
    Compass 2
    Map 1
    Ursack (3oz) + rope (3 oz) 6
    Trowel, toilet paper 5
    Towel 1.2
    Rain jacket and pants (jacket 14.4 + pants ankle zip 8) 22.4
    Camera (with belt case) 8.5+1.7 10.2
    Phone 6
    Clothes 32
    Stuff sacks bags etc 3
    Tooth brush / paste 2

I love my katadyn hiker pro but its a bit heavy and I'm considering going to the sawyer squeeze. I also have forgone the rain pants sometimes on an overnight but like them for anything more remote. Camera is a luxury and my iPhone can double as a camera but I guess this is another luxury I prefer to carry. I guess I am closer to 7 and change additional carry.
    No hammock, tarp or quilts listed?

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Jolly green, we were comparing weights and our consumables are similar and our big four is similar so we started looking at " the rest".... bits and pieces.

Here is my breakdown of the rest:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12793

Hope that works haven't tried it before! Add my down sweater another 9 oz.

Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away

Yeah Jolly Green was all tricked out with a modified Sawyer filter, very cool. He was around 18 lbs he said, but he was toting a woodstove as well.

I guess the only other thing is clothing, I wear everything except save a down jacket and fresh socks for camp- shoot I forgot camp shoes 11oz of crocs.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    No hammock, tarp or quilts listed?
    This is everything BUT hammock, tarp, backpack and quilts,
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Jolly green, we were comparing weights and our consumables are similar and our big four is similar so we started looking at " the rest".... bits and pieces.

Here is my breakdown of the rest:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12793

Hope that works haven't tried it before! Add my down sweater another 9 oz.

Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away

Yeah Jolly Green was all tricked out with a modified Sawyer filter, very cool. He was around 18 lbs he said, but he was toting a woodstove as well.

I guess the only other thing is clothing, I wear everything except save a down jacket and fresh socks for camp- shoot I forgot camp shoes 11oz of crocs.
    I think I can comfortably drop a pound or two off of mine. geargrams.com is pretty cool site. Thanks for the look at your gear. I really like having a water filter and love the taste of the water from my Katadyn, as well as the dependability. I saw a Sawyer rig on HF that also had an in-line charcoal filter from Katadyn 2 oz, which is the way I will go. I think I will probably end up at about 6-7 oz, down from 14 oz on the water filtration system and go to the smart water bottles (which supposedly works well with the sawyer system) which will take a few more oz off..
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    No problem. I'm with you on the camera, BTW. I didn't take it on that last one and though it helped the oz, I missed it. I'll be carrying it in the future- at 6 oz, that means I'm right back at the 8 oz I cut counting the new skins and hip belt pockets!

Have fun on the trail-

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    No problem. I'm with you on the camera, BTW. I didn't take it on that last one and though it helped the oz, I missed it. I'll be carrying it in the future- at 6 oz, that means I'm right back at the 8 oz I cut counting the new skins and hip belt pockets!

Have fun on the trail-
    Yea, you never know when there will be an interesting shot and the phone takes a bit too much time to get out, boot up, get to the app.. and a lot of hikers don't like to even to see them on the trail. I have kids and have to be accessible in an emergency but that's the only time I use it - except for the occasional "i'm ok" text when out longer.

Thanks! You too!
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    "Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away " Space4DaPoppa

Yep, that is a problem. You get to the water, you're hot and thirsty, and you can't touch it for twenty to thirty minutes. I usually use potable aqua and I also have a filter straw so I can get some right away instead of having to wait. Then I just take off while the rest of my water is purifying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast