Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thought I'd link the "Who's Had their Suspension System Snap???" thread for later readers that might not see both. It's seems appropriate.

Thanks for the link gmcttr.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    After reading the first few pages of this thread i fear at 292lbs, i might need to buy 1/4 inch amsteel!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY...THERE IS EQUIPMENT OUT THERE I CAN USE? RIGHT?
    MAYBE WITHOUT "BREAKING THE BANK"

AT THE MOMENT ID LIKE TO START BY MAKING THE DIY HAMMOCK STAND ON THIS FORUM, AND DO SOME BACKYARD/BASEMENT HANGING
    BUT DONT WANT TO START WITH A MAYAN STYLE HAMMOCK FROM A GARDEN CENTRE
    BUT I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO BUY REALLY HIGH END STUFF FOR JUST CASUAL USE, ALTHOUGH I DID ORDER SOME AMSTEEL AND COOL HARDWARE FROM DUTCH, JUST BECAUSE THE STUFF LOOKS SO NIFTY!
    Last edited by pickuptruck; 05-12-2013 at 14:04. Reason: WANTED TO ADD

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've learned a lot on this forum over the last year or two. I've also learned a fair amount from questions that were raised in threads like this but not answered. I agree that everyone has to hang their own hang, but in order to do that you have to understand the limitations of your equipment.

In my mind, the average breaking strength is a good place to start for your gear, but that number is degraded by everything you do to it. For example, depending on what type of stitch you use on your webbing loop you will retain 30-100% of the strength. With regard to this wonderful UHMW-PE cordage we use, spicing will retain a very high percentage of the strength, but knots reduce it by 40-80%. I would agree that the true properties and limitations of fabrics is the biggest gap in the community's knowledge base (from what I've seen, if I'm wrong point me in the right direction please).

I think there is a problem when one person's opinion becomes "fact", be it intentional or unintentional. The thing that I have struggled with is the lack of hard numbers and scientific data, if you will. For the most part we are using gear for purposes outside of the design intention. This leaves us mainly with opinions and personal experience until the community matures to the point that testing is done.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pickuptruck View Post
    After reading the first few pages of this thread i fear at 292lbs, i might need to buy 1/4 inch amsteel!!!

AT THE MOMENT ID LIKE TO START BY MAKING THE DIY HAMMOCK STAND ON THIS FORUM, AND DO SOME BACKYARD/BASEMENT HANGING
    BUT DONT WANT TO START WITH A MAYAN STYLE HAMMOCK FROM A GARDEN CENTRE
    BUT I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO BUY REALLY HIGH END STUFF FOR JUST CASUAL USE, ALTHOUGH I DID ORDER SOME AMSTEEL AND COOL HARDWARE FROM DUTCH, JUST BECAUSE THE STUFF LOOKS SO NIFTY!
    I see it is your first post. Welcome. But, no need for ALL CAPS.

It is intuitive and true that whatever the needed soft strength* of the system, you need about twice as much strength for parts that are heavily loaded than I do at a half your weight if you are going to retain the same safety margin.

First good news is that there are many, many gravity-defying hammockers here at HF, big fellas. Safer for you / them to find lighter weight denim jeans or switch to poplin, use heavier fabrics for the hammock, and maybe climbing-strength carabiners for attachment.

Also good news is that 1/4" Amsteel Blue or equivalent is waaaay conservative / unnecessary. It is the volume of cord that matters, and it (and cost) increases with the square of diameter. 8500 lb for 1/4".

Most everyone here would say that 1/8" with a BS gives enough safety margin @2500lb. (West Marine is currently selling it for $0.36 per foot.) Next step up is 3/16" with climbing carabiner strength of 5400 lb.

*I mean by "soft strength" what would by applied literally in line with normal use. A bed sheet might support a 500lb body without fatigue for a couple of years, but a child can learn how to tear it into ribbons, just by going at it one thread rapidly at a time
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-12-2013 at 18:17.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Dude, I currently weigh in at 320 (+/- a few). I hang on an "off the shelf" ENO DoubleNest[1]. Go slow and work up confidence in your kit. You don't want to have "pointy bits" [2] on you or in your pockets that may poke a hole in the fabric. Vigorous bouncing or "flopping" into probably isn't a good idea either

Also, 1/8th Amsteel is plenty strong enough. There's really no need to go larger (unless you're getting it at a great price)

[1] Advertises to be rated for 400 lbs. SingleNest is the same
    [2] Keys, bet clips for your phone, pocket knives, multi-tools, etc.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Once upon a time, when shopping for a house, my wife and I sat on a cute porch swing at a house we where looking at. The swing was hung a little high... she had to slightly hop into it. It was a comfortable swing, probally nearly new, on a newer home.

We enjoyed for a minute or two, but whoever installed it had not anchored it to a structural member. When the anchor on her end pulled out (bad luck, as she is the light one) and we fell on the concrete pourch, she broke her tailbone. For her, this meant a terrible painful trip to the hospital, followed by not being able to work, sit, stand, or walk without pain for weeks.

All and all, between missed work and medical bills, we where out a good many thouands of dollars.

If this had happened to someone deep in the woods, and nobody found them to rescue them, they might never nave made it out. At best, it would be a horrible experience. Nobody wants to be the person who gave you the advice that got you hurt or worse, even if you take lawyers out of the picture. I for one, will stick to what is proven and known to work well when saftey is of concern.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm a newbie here. Could someone please explain to me the difference between Dynaglide and Amsteel. Why is one better than the other? Where do you purchase them?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Diameter basically, and as a result of that the physical weight as well as strength. They are both made from the same fiber through slightly different processed due to different manufacturers. Dynaglide is either 1.8 or 2.0mm depending on where you look and has an average break strength of 1000 lb. Amsteel starts out at 7/64 (2.5mm) with an average break strength of 1600 lb and goes up from there.

It comes down to personal preference in what you feel is safe for you. Factor in things like the lark's head reducing the rope's strength by ~40% and the safety factor you want (break strength/load). 5:1 is a common safety factor around here but some of us are comfortable going as low as 3:1 while others like something in the 10:1 neighborhood.

My personal favorite is to go to a local West Marine for Amsteel, they have quite a few around the country. They will match online prices from places like Redden Marine which is a good place if you have to get stuff shipped, I think there's a forum coupon code.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

MAYBE WITHOUT "BREAKING THE BANK"!
    Its already been said once I just wanna politely remind that caps are not necessary. That being said...

I'm right there with you in weight. I've been hanging for about 2 years now. Started with an Eno Double and never worried about it failing. I use 7/64th whoopies and don't worry about them failing. The only reason I switched from the Eno was that it felt a bit short for me. My WBBB 1.7DL is plenty strong enough to hold me and provides excellent support for sleeping; as I suspect any dual layer hammock made of similar fabric would.

In fact I have a harder time finding quality outdoor clothing to fit me than I ever did finding a hammock/suspension to hold me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast