Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Weight rating's ?

This thread is not meant to be a controversial, ranting, bashing, name calling, finger pointing or anything like that. This is someone posting a thread whom would like answers to a question.

So onto the question--------

Why do we hammock hangers abide by the same principals that climbers do?

Most hangers are only a foot off the ground, some slightly less (like me) and some slightly more. We have a choice as too what we hang over, many times I have hung over a soft bed of pine needles, and there have been times when I have chosen to hang over rocks. Yet a climber may be hundreds of feet off the ground, some very, very much more, and some less. But the choice of where to hit the ground should they fall may be a factor of how hard the wind blows, or what they hit during the decent.
    Which leads me to the difference is if they were to fall, death is almost a certainty! The safety ratings that are implemented in the climbing world are there for this very reason, to protect them should their line be adversely loaded, shock loaded, or become compromised (I am sure there are many more as well)! The ropes and hardware that climbers use are rated much higher than what we are using, aside from biners, which some hangers use instead of a dutch biner or dutch clip, to each their own.

But they are using these ropes and all this stuff with that safety factor in mind. That is why they have ropes rated to 10,000#'s and higher. Then you have the other end of the spectrum (where I work) when life safety plays another factor, there have been times I have been hanging off a cliff and working with others to get a sick or injured person into a litter/basket/whatever and our gear and hardware has to account for their safety as well as mine.

If we as hammock hangers were to fall due too our suspension breaking in most cases it's only our pride that got hurt, or a bruised butt.

I have seen the many, many threads with many making the claim that some shouldn't use dynaglide because it's not safe, or due to their weight, or for whatever else meaning that the weight applied to the hammock when loaded will exceed the rating of the line. Or a simple statement that Dynaglide should not be used as a hammocks suspension.

So my next question is HOW and WHY? How is it that a hammock hanging at a starting angle (unloaded hammock) of 30* when loaded will impart the exact weight (or extremely close too)/or be equal too the weight of the person (and gear)! So if this is the case, and we all know that Dynaglide is rated to 1000#'s, that is the point at which the line breaks as in it can't hold any more, 1000#'s, why is it that a person whom weighs 220 cannot hang from this line? 205? 250? And why can't they hang from it?

How was it that the safety rating of 5/1, 10/1, 12/1, or 200000000/1 just randomly given and applied to hanging a hammock in correlation to the suspension used to keep us suspended (or something like that).... When that line won't break till it reaches 1000#'s (or darn close to it), but it's still not safe. Why wouldn't it be safe, or why couldn't someone weighing 500#'s hang from it, thats a safety factor of 2/1, hey it's a safety factor right?

If the safe number of Dynaglide is 200#, then could someone explain to me why it is that I have seen a 300#er being suspended without issue? Did this person get a different kind of Dynaglide than I did? Or different from the next person that ordered from the same company? Or is it that it will hold 300#?

I know there was a vendor that either stopped selling dynaglide suspension for a short time, or stopped selling it all together due to someone making the call that it wasn't safe, and bashing others that were using it, or selling it with the intent to be used as a hammocks suspension. The vendors have to put in safety quotes, liability waivers, and all kinds of other legal mumbojumbo to protect themselves against those who use something in a manner it wasn't meant to be used based on a system that has no standards because there are those whom have to have that standard applied, but don't know what it is....
    man I just confused myself

My point is in all this is why? and how? did we transferee the safety rating system used in the climbing industry, isn't this is the hammocking industry....Yes I understand we impart some of the same loads they do/will, and our application is pretty darn close to theirs, but again we are not hanging as high up as they are. Ok maybe some do and they should think about applying the climbers methods. But I think that this type of application is truly the minority, within a minority.....

There are many whom push the limits on what they use in a quest to go lighter, I am one of those people. Also with the new additions of lighter weight fabrics being used as hammock material's, what is the safety factor there? Just going by the responses on suspension types that should be used "NO ONE" should be using anything lighter than 2.2oz rs fabric, unless you weigh less than 40# (this is an exaggeration as I did not do the math, but I am sure there are many that could)! Yet the fabric used in my new hammock should by all accounts not hold me up if one were to go by the suspension safety hoopla, yet it is the most comfy hammock and holds me just fine.

As I said before, this is only meant to be a discussion, and provide some information/insight.....

Below I have inserted the hammock physics 101 chart so you can see the ratings, forces, n all that but if for some reason you cannot view it here is a link:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...l_original.jpg
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    2 words; frivolous lawsuits. A seller must cover their own butt, legally speaking. I work from very high place on a normal day to day operation (200-300 feet is pretty regular). While my high gear is only rated at 8000 lbs fall straps, I can tell you a DC10 CAT (large bulldozer) can pull a 8000 lb truck with a 15000 lb trailer attached right out of the mud in a cinch. Don't suggest it and I didn't use that strap anymore, but none the less I'm sure it was far greater than the intended limit. I also use bull tape, mule tape, flat rope, whatever you want to call it, rated at 1800 lbs, but have pulled plenty wire at over 5000lbs (gauged by tension meter on my tugger) and have the same spool for over a year now with no breaks. Point being that yes, most ratings are far below what they will handle, but they can't tell you to go that high without taking some responsibility for that product. So what happens is we believe these "limits" to be the true limit, and becomes engraved in our heads as concrete facts. HYOH I'm fine free climbing towers 500' tall with no safety concerns, while others won't go 20' without double hooking, (100% tied off to remove one hook you must have another in place) It's all in how comfortable you are with your situation. After all your daily drive is more dangerous than any of these safety concerns.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My buttocks are precious to me.. I dont want them sore.

There is also a certain fascination some folks have for quoting the "specs". Yeah, the makers of the lines practice cya principals, and a safety ratio of 5 to 1 seems to be frequently used, sometimes you have to believe your eyes, else one tends to be afraid of the dog with no teeth.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I had this same conversation just this week with another hanger. I don't get the whole 1/5 working strength thing either. My exact words were "I'm a foot off the ground, not hanging off a cliff!" Personally, I think it's overkill. I inspect my straps and whoopies when I put them up. If they begin to look frayed, I'll replace them. The most that is going to happen is that I'm going to land in some pine straw. Now, if I decide to rappel down a rock face, you better believe I want to know those ropes are going to hold me if I slip and all my weight comes down on them.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm one of those that has little fear of testing the upward limits of materials and lines as it pertains to lightening my pack. At 220lbs Dynaglide whoopies hold me just fine, and all my research showed that M50 should hold me, despite being towards the upper limit of the material. The M50 held me very comfortably initially. I gave it a little bounce to impart some dynamic shock to it and it withstood that fine. I laid in it for about 10 minutes and wiggled around a bit, it was fine. Sat up and started getting my shoes back on my feet and it failed. Why did it fail at that point, I don't know.

It did not fail along any lines of stitching, but instead failed about and inch below the gather. Why did it fail there? I don't know.

What I do know is that I'm working to reduce my gut weight now so that I can give the M50 hammock another, hopefully more successful go.

Am I worried about injuring myself when my hammock fails? No. I test over soft ground and tend to not take any untested gear out into the field. I won't to know that I can rely on things to work before I'm in a situation where I need them to.

While my methods may not be scientific they give me the confidence to go out in the woods and enjoy myself without worry of catastrophic gear failure.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    ...Why do we hammock hangers abide by the same principals that climbers do?
    ...That is why they have ropes rated to 10,000#'s and higher.
    ...and we all know that Dynaglide is rated to 1000#'s...
    It seems you answered part of your own question...we don't abide by the same safety factors that climbers do.

If I always hung over a thick duff of pine needles, I wouldn't be concerned about hitting the ground. With my head over a large tree root...a bit more concerned. My head over my deck or concrete...a whole lot concerned. So, am i going to have 3 suspensions for each situation and only go where I know I'll have the exact senario I packed a suspension for? Nope...I'll use a suspension for the worst case, allowing a wider safety margin and not worrying how I plop down into my bed.

For those that want to use 300# line, go right ahead...it should hold if you're very careful.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You know I use dynaglide, hang over rocks, etc. Further, my setups often use the structural ridgeline as a structural ridgeline, effectively doubling the loads of the usual 30° hangs. But, it's not my butt I worry about. I've had suspensions fail twice. Once, the foot end broke, and I landed on my thighs and butt (in my sleep ). I woke up, realized what had happened, and laughed it off. The other time, the head end broke, and it slapped the back of my head and the top of my spine on the floor. I don't ever want to experience that again.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    This calculation may be wrong but to jump 50cm a person would have to accelerate to a maximum of 3.4m/s (apparently) so if you are in contact with the ground for let's say 0.5s so a=(v-u)/t
    a=(3.4-0)/0.5
    a=6.8 and f=ma
    f=(let's say)100kg X 6.8
    so force is 680kg (1499lb).

Is that wrong, someone tell me thats wrong, I hope that's wrong!

Anyway, who bounces 50cm up and down in their hammock?

I want Dynaglide UCRs! I promise I'll be careful... it's a hammock, not a trampoline... but bouncing's fun... stop it... no... now... I hate you!

Someone chip in and tell me that's wrong (nicely please), and/or show a calculation that is done by someone in the know or at least correct mine... Grizz where are you?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Weight rating's ?

Hey, hang your own hang... That's all I have to say to end this discussion... If you want to hang off dynaglide, man I don't care if you want to hang off dental floss... If it holds you up and your comfortable with it, hang that bad boy up and try not to snore too loud... I will continue to use amsteel because I am safety minded... It's the same reasons I wear a jacket with armor on the motorcycle... I want to go home in the same shape I left in, if not better...

Hang your own hang bro...

Edit: this post was not mean in an attacking way... Simply stating frankly to hang your own hang... It doesn't ruffle my feathers to see someone hanging from dental floss, in fact I would be impressed... Just wanted to explain the tone is off, but I stand by my message...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 03-12-2013 at 09:30.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast