Thread: Choosing Gear

Choosing Gear

I look back on the bushcraft icon Kephart’s words (badly paraphrased mind you); it’s the man who is at home preparing for a trip into the wild that is having more fun than the man in the wild. The fact that you’re reading this post right now may lend some degree of credibility to this thought. Who am I to say any different? The challenge of intentions and dreaming about highlights of the wilderness is an addictive and time consuming pursuit. As I pour over spread sheets (Thank you Mrprez) and forage through hypothetical gear on the internet I find each decision to be like stepping into deep mud.

Each choice in gear I consider mires me into a specific function of hammock camping, whether it is comfort, or weight specific. I don’t know enough about hammocks in order to properly assess the significance of certain options such as double layered fabric and integrated bug flies. I think I’m going to go with the HH Explorer Ultralight, with the Hex tarp option (added weight I know but it rains a lot where I live). I plan to change out the suspension for lighter weight Whoopie slings, buy longer webbing and pick up the reflector pad. I’m sure there are gaping holes in my plan and if you can see them please point them out and perhaps offer some suggestions/advice. I don’t have my little heart set on any brand or whatever, functionality is chief for the most part.

I assume that it’s the popularity (with good reason) of hammock camping that has led to a rich competitive market. This would be great for the veterans who know what they want, but I doubt I’m the only newbie wandering about trying to get his bearings. I appreciate headchange4u’s sticky thread. So many considerations and fun to be had, I’m pretty such Kephart would crack a smile.

Thanks for reading, and all the best.
    -Jo

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am a bog fan of large tarps. The weight is worth the comfort I think.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    " it’s the man who is at home preparing for a trip into the wild that is having more fun than the man in the wild."

I've been doing wilderness trips with the same buddy for over 25 years. We have found that panning is half the fun. We sometimes even plan two full (10+day) trips in case of extreme weather in one location.

You are right about the planning aspects. That's why every trip is special and every trip is so different. Even the same places can add a multitude of variables as to time, season weather and gear.

I like to think of it as something that keeps us coming back. Hammock or not....we're all looking for that elusive "perfect trip" and if we don't get that, at least we have the stories. Every trip is great and I don't know if we ever really find "the perfect trip", but it's kept me looking for 35 years so far and taken me to some incredible places. Never stop exploring.

Maybe next time! There's always next time!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    I ride and do a lot of motorcycle camping with my daughter. Yes its fun to plan, I, like most, like light weight but I'm not to the point of saving grams. I can easily carry 100lbs of camping gear (not that i would) and its not a big deal.
    I want to have fun and be comfortable...

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Unfortunately, I plan a lot better than I do in actual fact. I love to plan what I am going to do, however I leave the thought of what my planning might lead to. That way I am never dissappointed.

• + New Posts