WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Warmer UQ = Lighter TQ?

Has anyone played around with using a warmer UQ for the given temperatures and a lighter TQ?

I am thinking that since the insulation under you is more important for warmth than what is on top of you, that for nights that get down to 40 degrees or so, if a 20 degree UQ might mean that I could use a very light TQ or blanket, etc?

Granted, warmth is a personal thing, but just checking to see what people think of this idea. It would save me from having to buy different weights of TQs.

I've found this to be the case.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    As you stated, warmth is varies by the person. Though several people have been doing the same as your suggesting. Over insulating the bottom so that they can use less insulation on top. I for one cannot do this, because I will soak an UQ if it is too warm, no matter how cold my top side is.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hang your own hang. Catavarie's experience is not like that of most who have posted on this over the last couple of years.

Rarely are complete specifications of set-ups given. The experience of most, including me, may be that there is much more loft, from redundancy, on the top. After all, most UQ's wrap your sides, insulating 3/4 of your torso, and leaving just one side, maybe 24" to be covered by 48" width of typical top quilt.

But, then, I've found that with adequate insulation there are temps when no insulation on top is needed. So, there's no folding over and redundancy in those conditions.

I favor trying this balance because of lower total bulk, mass, and expense, certainly when using a partial UQ. I'm also glad it works out this way because I'm sharing the space of the hammock with less stuff. Venting a UQ with a drafty hang is easy compared to pushing aside a top quilt that has become too warm.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I'm hoping this is the case. I have the 0* underquilt, and I've used it down to 30. It was very warm. I'm switching from my 20* bag to a 20* top quilt. I'm hoping I can get right down to 20 and still be warm. I noticed the UQ comes up pretty far on the sides, I'm thinking the TQ will lay pretty loosely and puffy on top. If it fails I have my thin fleece "bag liner" to use. I use it any way, because it feels more like lying in the bed instead on sliding around on nylon. And it's small enough I could shove it in a Pringles can if I wanted.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I absolutely need less top insulation with a good underquilt. I get cold quickly, and I like to be very warm when I sleep. In 20°F weather, I'm fine with a 20° underquilt from Hammock Gear and just a light fleece blanket. The down top quilt causes me to wake often and ventilate.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm a cold, cold sleeper. A 20* UQ that's over stuffed by 2 oz gets me by and I use that with a 20* TQ. At temps below 30*, I'm in the hammock sock with a top cover draped over the hammock/UQ/UQP edges to stay toasty.
    I need to move to a warmer climate.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I've found that to be true as well. I can usually get below what the gear is "rated" for because I sleep well in the cold, but I have no problems sleeping comfortably with a AHE 3 season UQ (rated to 30F) and a 1 season Owyhee TQ (50f) into the mid to lower twenties, I actually overheat really quick when I break out my 3 season Owyhee. I should note that I sleep in lightweight polartec pants and shirt, with a fleece sweater and wool beanie cap. I also use a down jacket as a foot box (still thinking about getting a full length UQ). I could probably get a bit lower in temps if I wore heavy weight long underwear.

I think what you wear to sleep in can make a huge difference in how warm you will be, assuming you are properly insulating the underside of your hammock.

• + New Posts