Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    if the government is shut down then who will be there to kick us out? There is not gate to lock and we already don't have water or electricity. The one thing (the vault) we do have most of us just avoid anyway. I think we should be fine. I don't think it will still be shutdown by then anyway.

I'm thinking we'll be ok either way. Really looking forward to it!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Rg gov shut down: During the shut down in 95-96 we were in Maui. We drove to the top of Haleakalā National Park for the sunrise only to find the gate closed. I put my 2 yo daughter on my should and started hiking up to the top only to be stopped by a ranger who handed me a ticket for trespassing. Be careful assuming no one will be on duty to ticket us.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Rg gov shut down: During the shut down in 95-96 we were in Maui. We drove to the top of Haleakalā National Park for the sunrise only to find the gate closed. I put my 2 yo daughter on my should and started hiking up to the top only to be stopped by a ranger who handed me a ticket for trespassing. Be careful assuming no one will be on duty to ticket us.
    I understand. Where we are going there is no gate. The road leading to the campsite is both private and public lands. I guess they could post signs. Like I said I think this will be resolved and also not an area they deem off limits.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Made a visit down there today. Also of now the campground is open. However, according to someone who was there camping, the primitive campsites may close soon if no budget agreement is reached. The problem is the trash dumpster is overflowing and people are dumping around it instead of hauling it out. Wild animals are tearing the bags open and dragging it everywhere. A lady who works at The Eldorado Outpost said the Forest Service is supposed to meet this week to discuss it.

Lets all hope the situation resolves itself.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

pack it in pack it out

Quote Originally Posted by NCfree View Post
    Made a visit down there today. Also of now the campground is open. However, according to someone who was there camping, the primitive campsites may close soon if no budget agreement is reached. The problem is the trash dumpster is overflowing and people are dumping around it instead of hauling it out. Wild animals are tearing the bags open and dragging it everywhere. A lady who works at The Eldorado Outpost said the Forest Service is supposed to meet this week to discuss it.

Lets all hope the situation resolves itself.
    you would think that people would not be so lazy. pack it in, pack it out.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    you would think that people would not be so lazy. pack it in, pack it out.
    especially if it full. people are dumb. my first thoughts were maybe we should empty some of it.

I was thinking that since there is no gate we would be OK. However, I wasn't figuring on the inability of some humans to be respectful. A lot can happen in the several weeks we have to go.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    if we needed another location where to? Morrow mt. Is close by but I am not sure about cost, space and whether they allow hammocks. Anyone got some land not in use with some trees?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Let's see

Morrow Mt. won't work. See this link:
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/momo/main.php

Weymouth Woods SP in the Sandhills does not have camping.

Raven Rock SP north of Fayetteville has a nice group camping area at the eastern end of the the park. You have to pack in about 2.5 mi to the group camp where there is a vault toilet but no easy water access. You are right on the Cape Fear River at that site - Filter it - then boil it - should be safe. It is down stream from Shearon Harris Nuke Plant tho! The superintendent's name is Jeff, nice guy. Group Camp 3 has lots of trees but I don't know how they will feel about more than 6 per group camp. Oh yeah - He likes to hear hammockers are using nice WIDE straps to protect his trees!
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/raro/main.php
    The campground that is closed is at the other end of the park. This is due to a dispute with a neighbor - legal stuff - they don't want to talk about it.

Jordan Lake SP South of Raleigh (easy access from US 64) has a nice bunch of group sites located down by the lake at Vista Point. It is open until December.
    I attended a kayak event there in May - many of us used hammocks during that event. The group camp sites are at most a few hundred feet from the parking area. Nice (unheated) restroom with showers a 5 minute walk away. Running water available.
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/main.php

At Falls Lake just NE of RDU Airport the Smoke Butt Hang was held in April at the Rollingview Group Camp area. Great area right next to the parking lot. Restroom / Showers 200 ft away. Running water. The MST passes nearby.
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/fala/main.php

For future reference, Carolina Beach State Park has two group sites a 5 minute hike from the parking lot. Pit Toilets - no water - lots of trees.

I realize Raleigh, etc. is getting kind of far east for a lot of you but these are the areas I am familiar with. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions closer to the Uwharries.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast