Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Here in Florida, 1" wide straps are required, even for the tarp, in State Parks. And this is only for a 1 year hammock trial program. That's required only around the tree if course, not throughout the ridgeline.
    This is good to know! I am hanging in Ft. Clinch at the end of the month. I have some straps I never used on a DIY I can tie to my lines from my ENO ProFly, but there is such little tension in a tarp, it seems a bit like overkill. I'm still new to hanging so forgive me if I'm wrong, but can the tension from a tarp line really do damage to a tree?

I'm using amstel right now and there is really nothing wrong with it...I just wanted to try somthing different and somthing that I could hang all of my gear on under the tarp.... I'll order the straps tomorrow and take some pic when i get the whole think set up...

Thanks for the input all, hope everyone has a good hang this season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Do you mean straps for the trees only or for the entire ridgeline?
    entire ridgeline

got the straps in and tried it out...
    It definitively add a secure ridge line...not sure if I like it or not yet... here are the pics...

Hammock
    GTUL - 1st hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    That tarp ties in great with the yard...seriously good camo. Looks good to me, just seems like overkill though.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I remember reading in several places of people warning not to run Tarp ridge lines under the tarp. To, instead, run it on top of the tarp.
    Does anybody know the reason for this? Is it because of condensation touching the ridge line and dripping down or rain running down the ridge line and dripping?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I remember reading in several places of people warning not to run Tarp ridge lines under the tarp. To, instead, run it on top of the tarp.
    Does anybody know the reason for this? Is it because of condensation touching the ridge line and dripping down or rain running down the ridge line and dripping?
    Pretty much it... the water will wick and run down to the low point... which is normaly the center of the tarp!

You could tie drip loops near the tarp ends, and you'd probably be ok.

I like how the line looks, though! I did use a Mule Tape ridgeline in my back yard until I bought a spool of zing-it and a dutch hook...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    No ridgeline will stop a direct hit from a large branch/tree. It will, however, absorb some of that energy prior to failure, and that is energy your body won't have to deal with. Also, indirect hits, where the branch hits the ground and pivots onto the rl may be stopped.

If you want to get the most benefit from your webbing, upgrade the biner at the tree, and put a slippery half hitch behind your rings on the other end.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't know as I would go to 1 in for the tarp ridge line but strapworks has 3/8 webbing that looks really interesting. Now if I can get it with dog paw print...

http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/pewsc38.htm

I have been thinking about this for a while as I don't see a lot of sense in hanging my tarp over a knife edge cord or needing to stretch the heck out of it to get a fairly tight ridge line. I doubt the weight will be a killer. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Thx for the replys...ya..it's overkill for sure....but it's winter and i'm really bord and just wanted to try it out...I do like the extra bit of security and there is not as much stress on the materal as well...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast