UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

questions about fabrics..

(Questions in bold )
    I came across 15yd bolts of 100% Nylon (non ripstop) for $10 a bolt, so I bought 3 of them.. Figuring they'd make good practice, and use in non load-bearing applications, like UQ's and TQ's.

My first question is : If I did a DL hammock, with say, 1 layer of 1.1, could the other layer be this non ripstop?

Could a DL of this material alone be safe for a hammock?

My other question involves another fabric I found at the same source. 50% Nylon / 50% cotton Ripstop.. Would this be a suitable hammock body material?

At under $1/yd, I couldn't turn it down.. even to experiment with.. visions of finally being able to try making my own Sil, or IX UQ's kept bouncing around my head.. and yea... in total, I picked up 45yds of the 100% Nylon, and 30 of the 50/50 ripstop... All for $65 US..

Coupled with the fact that the Joannes where my in laws live was moving to a larger space.. liquidating stock instead of moving it.. so I've got a lot of 1.9 coming my way too... Just trying to plan..

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Sounds like a great find. #1 Not all hammocks are made of ripstop, so you should be fine there. It's more important to match your weight to the fabric capacity. 1.1 is good to around 200lbs. DL above 200 or if you use a pad for insulation. You could probably mix fabrics for a DL, but I'm thinking there might be issues with the different fabrics not stretching the same, resulting in one side taking more weight than the other. Not sure on that one.

#2 The 50/50 NYCO will work fine for an indoor/back porch hammock. Something like this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=64123

With all that thread injecting ahead of you, make sure you come up for air between hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Non-ripstop nylons such as taffeta will be fine to make hammocks with.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What Detail Man said.

Try weighing a running yard of your fabric find (you're going to want to make stuff sacks, right? ) and dividing by the number of yards in the width (if it's 60" wide, that's 1.67) to find the weight per square yard. That'll give you an idea of the weight capacity of the fabric.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    thanks for the replies. It (the 100% nylon) seems like it's in the 1.5-1.7 oz range.. the scale I have hates doing anything under 5oz.. it gets bouncy. But at 60" width, it weighs between 2.5-2.8oz for a running yard.

I removed the cardboard from an entire bolt, weighed it, divided by 15, then 1.67 and came out with 1.65

I know Warbonnet has a chart for fabric weight / capacity.. does the fact that this stuff is non ripstop affect that? Do I need to sew it any differently?

And thank you Detail man for the link about the indoor hammocks.. I see a few of those in my future

• + New Posts