MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you guys check out the post by Dejoha that goes into the various ways he used the LoopAliens on his tarp?

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/l...us-ridge-line/

and then here as well for part 2

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/l...a-tarp-part-2/

They show a little bit different set up than what David envisioned but seem to work better for hammock camping purposes than the stock instructions that came with the LoopAliens.

I can't wait to see some pictures of these being set up and used. I am living vicariously thru all the lucky HF members that get to go camping and hiking. I only have a few more weeks in school until I GRADUATE and then it is on like Donkey Kong!!!! I hope to be camping a WHOLE LOT MORE this season.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

LoopAlien

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    Have you guys check out the post by Dejoha that goes into the various ways he used the LoopAliens on his tarp?

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/l...us-ridge-line/

and then here as well for part 2

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/l...a-tarp-part-2/

They show a little bit different set up than what David envisioned but seem to work better for hammock camping purposes than the stock instructions that came with the LoopAliens.

I can't wait to see some pictures of these being set up and used. I am living vicariously thru all the lucky HF members that get to go camping and hiking. I only have a few more weeks in school until I GRADUATE and then it is on like Donkey Kong!!!! I hope to be camping a WHOLE LOT MORE this season.
    Yes, I saw his videos. I'm not sure I'll be using mine with hammock tarp rig though. They just aren't as user friendly to adjust on a CRL as prussics and Dutchware in my initial trials. I'll probably use mine for hanging misc gear and my water filtration in gravity setup instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have played around with a little last night. I really want to like these. But I don't not think they are for ridge lines. They just aren't easy enough to use.

But I am not giving up yet. I am gonna at around with then some more. And I am gonna order some Tarp Flyz to do some comparison.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Any idea what the load limit is for the Al and Ti?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

LoopAlien

I'd be surprised if the load limit was less than the lines we use.

Images
    I'm planning on using a dutch hook on one tree and a LA on the other end like Dejoha shows in part two. What I suspect is that feeding the bite up through the LA while the tarp (even cuban) is weighing it down is going to be fiddly, especially if my fingers are cold. I'm going to give it a go, but I think a Dutch flyz or even a mini figure 9 which I've used before will work better.

I don't like that the figure 9 gets caught in the material when packing it. the flyz are probably a little better but still have protrusions, I think the LA would excel in that regard, but we'll have to see.

I tied some lash-it to a chair and slipped on an LA to play with trying to figure out how this will work as a prusik replacement for the tarp.
    With a prusik, you remove tension on the loop and can slide it. It doesn't matter if the line you're sliding the prusik on is tight or slack, it only matters if your pushing on the base of the knot or tugging on the loop of the prusik.

With the LA, the important thing seems to be the tension of the line your sliding it on.
    If I go up through the big hole and then around the small or medium loops, I cannot slide the LA along the line unless I give the line some slack. For the record, I can't tell a difference between the small and medium loops.
    If I go up through the medium or small hole and around the big loop, it won't slide period, its completely locked.

So if I hang my ridge line nice and tight like I want it, the LA's on my tarp are not going to slide ANY along the ridgeline.
    That seems to mean I'll need to string the ridgeline up with some slack, center my tarp, and then tighten the ridgeline down.
    I know that's what it will take to slide the LA I have my hands on. As for the LA on the other side of the tarp, I don't know if it will slide if I pull on the tarp even if the ridgeline has slack, or if I will have to put my hands on it to get it to start moving.

Then again, if I set this up as a CRL, centering the tarp would probably be easier.

It does appear the third loop will make a nice build in drip point to stop rain from running down the ridgeline assuming it points doing.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I used my LoopAlien ridge line for a week during our 50-miler with the Boy Scouts. It was a good trial run and I got some good experience with them outside of the "shop" where I did my initial testing. I had our entire troop/patrol in hammocks, so we had a few tarps to pitch. The LoopAlien was just one of the set-ups I had going, but it worked very well.

The continuous ridge line option works well, but I think the two-line/end-only ridge lines work the best simply because I can get them tighter faster (as seen in my second review of the LoopAlien).

I really like that I can slip them on any guy line without feeding it through the holes, for example. The 3:1 mechanical pull works well, but I'll admit that it's not as "slick" as the TarpFlyz and does have friction issues on occasion. Nothing that isn't manageable, so give it a try and see what you think.

The no-snag feature is also nice. Lots of pros/cons to make the debate go on forever. I'm just glad to have a few in the gear box to play with

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    It's been asked but I haven't seen a definitve answer. How much weight will the Ti support. I read somewhere that they've been tested to 270lbs before failure but was that aluminum or the Ti?

Anyone know any more about this?
    Brady

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    This thread popped up again, so I was reminded to post my experiences. I have my loop aliens on my vertex tarp, with a 2-line ridgeline with 2.2 zing-it. My only other tarp-hardware experience is with the tarp key on my edge. Last weekend, we were (day) hiking when the storm came. I rushed ahead to get the tarp set up so everyone could have shelter from the storm, and if it wasn't for the fact the lines were tangled from improper packing the trip before, the loop aliens were reasonably quick to use, but did require some fine motor control that could not be easily done with gloves or cold fingers. I'm going to keep playing with them, but as for now, I have no desire to buy and try something different, but nor am I replacing the tarp-key on my other one any time soon. In a few more months, if I have something to add, I will.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    It's been asked but I haven't seen a definitve answer. How much weight will the Ti support. I read somewhere that they've been tested to 270lbs before failure but was that aluminum or the Ti?

Anyone know any more about this?
    The only strength testing I know that has been done on the LoopAlien was done on the Aluminum version. That weight rating sounds right. There was deformation to the small ''horn" at or near the peak load.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast