Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Locking Brummel Continuous Loop Tutorial

There is information on HF about making continuous loops using the bury method (Opie's tutorial is a great one). These look clean, and with an adequate bury length, they are super strong, theoretically retaining nearly 100% of rope rated strength (x2 for symmetric loop). I trust these with my weight.

That being said, to resist creep under light or cyclic loads, or just for peace of mind (ie the same reason a locking brummel splice is often used instead of a bury splice), I like to lock the loop before the bury. I have yet to see a method of making a truly locking continuous loop either on HF or anywhere on the internet (please point it out if I have missed it), so here it is my method. The only catch is that it turns out as a figure 8, which makes it slightly less clean looking as the bury only loops, but works in the same applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Continued...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Because one part of the completed loop passes through the other, you can easily manipulate the loops so one becomes larger and the other shrinks. You can see this in the pics above, where I have taken advantage of this to temporarily get longer straight sections in which to do the buries (my fid can't handle curves). If you enlarge one loop to the extreme, the shrinking loop will invert (the 8 will become an 0), leaving you with an unlocked but otherwise intact bury loop. The only way I can see this inversion happening in use is if you connect everything to one loop of the 8 and nothing to the other, and who would do that? If you haven't cheated on your bury lengths, the inverted version should be equally strong, you will only have lost the benefits of the lock, be they real or imagined.
    Last edited by PrisonerOfGravity; 03-12-2013 at 11:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Excellent pictures but I'm having a hard time understanding why it needs to be a figure 8? I'll have to examine the pictures on my laptop later. My Blackberry is too small to look at them.

EDIT: ok, I closed my eyes and visualized it and now I think I understand. The part going through the loop that creates the figure 8 is keeping the two splices in place and aligned so even if the bury was unloaded, the buried amsteel can't go anywhere.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-12-2013 at 12:15.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

In a Word..

Excellent! Another item goes on the list to make. Very good tutorial with the pictures as well.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    What was the starting length of the amsteel used?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Bubba, the '8' shape is just a side effect of building in the lock. I have yet to find or dream up a way to build in the lock and end up with a '0' instead of an '8' shape. If such a thing exists, it would be my preference.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PrisonerOfGravity View Post
    Bubba, the '8' shape is just a side effect of building in the lock. I have yet to find or dream up a way to build in the lock and end up with a '0' instead of an '8' shape. If such a thing exists, it would be my preference.
    We need to hire someone who knows the topology of knots.. I imagine it's theoretically possible, but only if you have one those fancy materials that can go through itself (like a Klein bottle)

dragon360,

For that 9" loop in 1/8" Amsteel I used 41.5". I wanted to make the smallest loop I could while using the full bury lengths recommended by Samson.

-Bury is 72 x nominal diameter, so 9" for 1/8" rope. Should have added 1" to each end for tapering but ended up tapering into the 9".
    -Outer layer of Amsteel shortens by about 20% when there's a bury in it, so to hide the 18" worth of bury, we'll need 18"/(1-0.2)=22.5" of rope.
    -rope total, 9" + 9" + 22.5" = 40.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The part going through the loop that creates the figure 8 is keeping the two splices in place and aligned so even if the bury was unloaded, the buried amsteel can't go anywhere.
    If I understand you correctly, this is not the case. The strand that passes through the centre of the brummel lock is simply passing through and does not contribute to the lock or the integrity of the loop in any way. The strength comes from a locked brummel (if my terminology is correct) between the two strands that the buries go into.

In otherwords, you could cut the strand that passes through the other (where they cross), and you would end up with a specimen of an end-to-end locked brummel splice, albeit between two very short ropes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast