Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knotty mod

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CT
    Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    61

    Knotty mod

    Hi, I wanted to get some opinions from people who have knotty mods on their hammock. I understand the benefit to create a "foot box" and to remove the flapping by your head, but is there any reason to go with a double knotty mod? Does it just add flexibility to how you can lay in the hammock or are there other benefits to having the mods on the opposite side you lay?

    Thanks for the insight.

  2. #2
    Moderator Nighthauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chesterfield, Ma
    Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Posts
    3,077
    for me the double Knotty mod doesn't really add options other then helping to keep pillow and my feet in the hammock. It also helps to keep the wind off your face more because it brings the sides up higher.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield


  3. #3
    Senior Member Jtupnsmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    Speedhook/Amsteel
    Posts
    383

    Knotty mod

    I did the double to keep my pillow and bottom of my top quilt from falling out. I also removed the shock cord/cord lock and permanently sewed flat elastic in the hem. Adds almost no weight and achieves the same purpose.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,387
    Images
    210
    If I am understanding your question, you want to know about having four shock cords, one on both sides at your head and foot ends? I did this, just because I like to more around, sometimes laying head left, sometimes head right. I can adjust the hammock for which ever way I want to lay. Other than that, I don't see an advantage to having the four. If you lay just one way, then two should be fine.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  5. #5
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Oxford Knee
    Posts
    1,151
    I use the single pair. The other sides seem to take care of themselves. Great for using a pad and one of the best hammock mods ever.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

  6. #6
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,448
    Images
    70
    I have full length shock cords on both sides of my hammock and really like it. I've modded a couple of friends hammocks thusly as well and they also are big fans.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  7. #7
    Dave-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Adana, Turkey
    Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    222
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I have full length shock cords on both sides of my hammock and really like it. I've modded a couple of friends hammocks thusly as well and they also are big fans.
    RED,

    Just for completeness (and not to hijack the thread), what size shock cord do you use, how much shorter is the shock cord than the length of your hammock, and how do you finish the ends of the shock cord (e.g., exit the hammock and tie it to the dog bone/continuous loop that runs through the end channel)?

    Sincerely,
    Dave-O

  8. #8
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,448
    Images
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    RED,

    Just for completeness (and not to hijack the thread), what size shock cord do you use, how much shorter is the shock cord than the length of your hammock, and how do you finish the ends of the shock cord (e.g., exit the hammock and tie it to the dog bone/continuous loop that runs through the end channel)?

    Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    I use 3/32" shock cord and start with pieces that are the same length as the hammock. Probably 6" from each end I have a grommet installed in the hammock hem that the shock cord runs thru. I just have a knot in one end that won't fit thru the grommet and a shock cord on the other end to adjust tension. It's a stand alone system that doesn't need to hook to hammock suspension etc.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  9. #9
    gmcpcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midland, TX
    Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL Strap ~HAnchor
    Posts
    225
    Images
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I have full length shock cords on both sides of my hammock and really like it. I've modded a couple of friends hammocks thusly as well and they also are big fans.
    I also use the full length shock cord, 1/8". I just melt a small hole in the seam, threading the length through. I set the tension so it hangs evenly, and just leave it. My tension adjustment is at one end, with a loop that goes around the bottom of the whipping bundle, where at the other end there's a cord lock.

    I have also used a small braided line that looks like a fishing line to accomplish the same effect. I prefer the whole length shock cord for the flexibility of the sides as you enter and exit.

    Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

  10. #10
    Dave-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Adana, Turkey
    Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    222
    Images
    2

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I use 3/32" shock cord and start with pieces that are the same length as the hammock. Probably 6" from each end I have a grommet installed in the hammock hem that the shock cord runs thru. I just have a knot in one end that won't fit thru the grommet and a shock cord on the other end to adjust tension. It's a stand alone system that doesn't need to hook to hammock suspension etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    I also use the full length shock cord, 1/8". I just melt a small hole in the seam, threading the length through. I set the tension so it hangs evenly, and just leave it. My tension adjustment is at one end, with a loop that goes around the bottom of the whipping bundle, where at the other end there's a cord lock.
    RED & gmcpcs,

    Thanks to both of you for explaining that. Your descriptions are very helpful.

    Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Similar Threads

  1. ENO DN with Knotty Mods
    By hk2001 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 17:43
  2. Knotty Mod.
    By ADKrella in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 03:45
  3. XLC Knotty Mod
    By pizza in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 12:29
  4. Need help with knotty mod
    By Gravity in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 02:45
  5. Knotty Mod
    By moos in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 18:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •