DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UCR or Whoopies is one stronger?

Not a question of what to use but a question of which is stronger? I'm assuming if they where made of the same material they should be the same strength? Both the Whoopie and the UCR weakest point would be the point which is a single strand of rope, right?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would think the whoopie slings would have the edge because a whoopie sling bury has constriction the entire length of the bury because both ends are loaded. With the UCR, the constriction tapers off the closer you get to the unloaded end.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would think the whoopie slings would have the edge because a whoopie sling bury has constriction the entire length of the bury because both ends are loaded. With the UCR, the constriction tapers off the closer you get to the unloaded end.
    There have been some mods made on the UCR to make it much more dependable. See thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163

With a prusik on the unloaded end as shown in the instructions, it makes it less apt to trip that end. Some folks do a loop and put a kleimheist made from a smaller diameter line, or I just tied a stopper knot on it and tied some shock cord around it. That worked great. I hung on that rig this past weekend at the Yates Place hang, and it held my petite 275 lbs no sweat!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    There have been some mods made on the UCR to make it much more dependable. See thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163

With a prusik on the unloaded end as shown in the instructions, it makes it less apt to trip that end. Some folks do a loop and put a kleimheist made from a smaller diameter line, or I just tied a stopper knot on it and tied some shock cord around it. That worked great. I hung on that rig this past weekend at the Yates Place hang, and it held my petite 275 lbs no sweat!
    I used some small diametre line and a kleimheist on my UCR's. The small loads to prevent the UCR bury from slipping still do not match the load created by a whoopie. If you made a UCR bury long enough you could probably match the amount of constriction on a whoopie but if you matched a UCR used for hammock suspension against a similar length whoopie, I could be wrong but I think the whoopie would be stronger.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I used some small diametre line and a kleimheist on my UCR's. The small loads to prevent the bury from slipping still do not match the load created by a whoopie. If you made a UCR bury long enough you could probably match the amount of constriction on a whoopie but if you matched a UCR used for hammock suspension against a similar length whoopie, I think the whoopie would be stronger.
    I think you're right, Bubba. I missed the point of the question in my reply. The UCR is more dependable now with a good mod, but the Whoopie is stronger and even more dependable all things considered.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lets forget about which one works better, I'm talking breaking strength. When it comes down to it the Whoopie is weakest at the constrictor where the tail comes out. It's at that spot on the Whoopie where it's a single line and that spot takes the most abuse. The UCR would have the same weak spot at the constrictor, however the whole rig is a single line. So which one will snap from weight + abuse first? Would both suspensions still essentially be equal in breaking strength having the same weak point?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

UCR or Whoopies is one stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Lets forget about which one works better, I'm talking breaking strength. When it comes down to it the Whoopie is weakest at the constrictor where the tail comes out. It's at that spot on the Whoopie where it's a single line and that spot takes the most abuse. The UCR would have the same weak spot at the constrictor, however the whole rig is a single line. So which one will snap from weight + abuse first? Would both suspensions still essentially be equal in breaking strength having the same weak point?
    I would think they would be equal. The UCR is basically a Whoopie with part of the adjustable loop removed, so it should be pretty close. I guess the one other possible weak link is that there is an extra locked Brummell loop on the UCR at the tree end where the Whoopie just loops over the MSH. If that is done correctly they should be darn near equal. I'm no engineer, but it stands to reason for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    From that point of view that's a good question. I would think their weak points would be the same since the line is subject to the same stresses in both if you are hanging from the constrictor on the UCR.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-13-2013 at 15:43.

If both are made correctly, and made from the same line they both will be the same as far as breaking strength!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    20D Asym w/UC/OC
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ 0 Deg
    Suspension
    Hennessey, for now
    I would like to know which will be lighter for a given adjustment range....and I intend to find out as soon as my Amsteel gets here.

Jungle Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast