Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    The Blackbird wasn't restrictive for me at all, I can sit up in it, change clothes, sleep on my back, side, and even my stomach(although I usually don't sleep that way, even at home).
    Thanks for the feedback lilricky, how tall are you that the blackbird wasn't restrictive?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer

G'day from Wollongong, Australia

Looking into HH Explorer, WBBB and Clark NX250, in order of delivered price in Australia for a full setup.

I have also bought The Ultimate Hang to read before I jump in.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    webbing

Welcome from the west coast of Canada!

Hello 5 of clubs,

Welcome from Victoria on Vancouver Island! It's a bit windy to-day but we have lots of sunshine!

The forums are great ...very fine people and lots of information.

I'm 187 cms like you, and I have a WBBB Dl 1.7. I find it very stable, very supportive and very, very roomy. (You discover how much room it has once you get in it!) Warbonnet Guy (Brandon) is very helpful and patient with any questions you have.

Cheers,
    Coffeedrinker
    “Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
    ― A.A. Milne

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer

G'day from Wollongong, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeedrinker View Post
    I'm 187 cms like you, and I have a WBBB Dl 1.7. I find it very stable, very supportive and very, very roomy. (You discover how much room it has once you get in it!) Warbonnet Guy (Brandon) is very helpful and patient with any questions you have.

Cheers,
    Coffeedrinker
    Thanks coffeedrinker, just the sort o feedback I'm looking for!

/5 of clubs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird multicam DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing + Rings
    Mate! Nice to see more locals here. The bush is a bit different in Aus. than it is in the states, so I'm looking forward to seeing some more Australian threads. I've used the Hennessy explorer deluxe (I'm 6' and 120 kilos) and found it really comfortable, with the exception of a very cold bum. I'm looking forward to getting my Blackbird in a couple days and posting a review. As far as parks go, I haven't found any info about how close to tracks you can be, but at 1k away from it, I doubt anyone would see you to say otherwise! Not that I'm advocating that...

Hammock
    HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock
    Welcome from southern Illinois.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingking View Post
    Mate! Nice to see more locals here. The bush is a bit different in Aus. than it is in the states, so I'm looking forward to seeing some more Australian threads. I've used the Hennessy explorer deluxe (I'm 6' and 120 kilos) and found it really comfortable, with the exception of a very cold bum. I'm looking forward to getting my Blackbird in a couple days and posting a review. As far as parks go, I haven't found any info about how close to tracks you can be, but at 1k away from it, I doubt anyone would see you to say otherwise! Not that I'm advocating that...
    G'day Swingking. Are you switching to the blackbird to alleviate the cold bum or for other reasons?

I was looking at the Clark NX250 but I don't know how committed I am to hammocking yet for that much outlay, so I'm deciding between Hennessey Explorer Delux ($230 from Ebay) or a Blackbird ($190 + tarp, etc). The Hennessey all-inclusive package is very temping.

Regarding parks, I have been able to find this info for Budderoo NP (1km from roads, lookouts and picnic areas) and Morton NP (300m from roads)

G'day le_butters!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 of Clubs
    There are some rather lovely National Parks around my area, which I understand I can camp in so long as I keep 1km off the tracks
    G'day, mate. I've not seen anything about not camping within 1km of tracks. The one I've seen for Morton NP is that you can't camp within 300m of a road except at designated campsites (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Na....aspx?id=N0022). There are various other restrictions on camping particularly in the Budawangs.

Up in the parks of the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area all I've seen are some restrictions on specific locations (e.g. no camping in the blue gum forest in the Grose Valley), and recommendations on "minimal impact" practices for bushwalking and remote camping.
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
    Up in the parks of the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area all I've seen are some restrictions on specific locations (e.g. no camping in the blue gum forest in the Grose Valley), and recommendations on "minimal impact" practices for bushwalking and remote camping.
    Thanks Marwood, "minimal impact" is definitely what we're all going for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird multicam DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing + Rings
    I decided to switch to the blackbird because i liked the design of the Hennessy, but warbonnet looked like it had a couple little improvements on the design. I like the double bottom so I can use a sleeping pad to warm my but, and the foot box design (essentially an extra fold of fabric at the foot end) is supposed to allow you to have a really flat lay regardless of height, and take some of that pressure off of the back of your knees. I can't speak for the Clark, but you still won't go wrong with a Hennessy, they are still an excellent sleeping system. I found a lot of people claim they don't need pads or underquilts in a Clark system, but if you are going to get a Hennessy, seriously consider their super shelter system because a sleeping bag just does not cut it. I tried so hard...I hear a lot of great things about the Clark's but I just like the simplicity of HH and blackbirds, I found the diagonal lay the most comfortable thing about them, something that is hard in a Clark apparently. Also consider an underquilt. If Wollongong's nights have been as cold as Newcastles lately you will know what I mean. Worth every cent. So, with a super shelter or an underquilt included all those hammocks are in a pretty similar price range, if it makes it easier. You won't be disappointed whichever way you go.

If you end up not enjoying your hammock, they get snapped up pretty quick online at regular prices. Most Australian buyers are glad to just to avoid waiting times and massive international postage fees.
    Last edited by Swingking; 03-19-2013 at 18:29. Reason: Forgot this

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast