Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Good timing - HH were out-of-stock on the Explorer-sized SS for some time.

What kind of space blanket do you have? I recommend the HeatSheet: durable and quiet. I've used mine 60+ nights in my hammock with no tear yet, but the orange paint on the backside is starting to fade.

In addition to the HF threads, see my BGT owner review for a number of photos and setup info that may help you:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

--Kurt
    Interesting report. Good job. I see that you were able to get your OC, hammock and UC all in your snakeskins??? What size do you have and what is the trick to getting all that in there. OK, did a little reading and see that you have the #4s.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Ok... i just pulled the trigger on the super shelter for my explorer. Not sure when it will get here.... but I'll be checking the threads for installation directions once it does.
    Whoa! What made you go for it? Not satisfied with your UQ, or just feel like playing with something new? Did you order a kidney/torso pad with it? I really like those.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    i too am awaiting a s/s-it is supposed to be here on the 16th but that is a new holiday here (family day) so i don't really expect to get tomorrow but maybe Tues-i have my hammock all set-up in the basement for when it comes to workout any bugs and am going winter camping on Lake Huron (Pinery)this week-end.only supposed to go down to -8 celsius so that will be a good temp for a trial run-am quite excited

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Whoa! What made you go for it? Not satisfied with your UQ, or just feel like playing with something new? Did you order a kidney/torso pad with it? I really like those.
    Tje biggest reason I went for it was my wife left me alone....

But my Underquilts are retired cheap butt sleeping bags. I decided if I am going to be doing shoulder season hanging I need something better field tested and engineered. I also figure the word on the street about the SS is pretty good and this really seems the cheapest way to take an HH into cold weather in a proper way. I have kind of made a commitment to the explorer as my hammock of choice due to my mobility concerns, which are now fully documented.

I got nothing else with it. My wife left me alone but she did not abandon me... hehehehe. She is good to me and lets me go out and play with the boys whenever I can get there. So I need to not push things too hard. I have, however gone through a season of "not much" for the past few years and she knows it. I am so much nicer to be around when I can get out occasionally.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...seems the cheapest way to take an HH into cold weather in a proper way.
    I think it's the best value of all the insulation options available. Nothing else gets you to a lower temp without significantly more wallet-lightening.

What will you use to supplement the SS below freezing?
    ...SB?
    ...clothing?
    ...thin CCF pad?
    ...one of your quilts?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have a cheap 0* sleeping bag, both ccf and inflatable pads, cold weather clothes, and two KAQ desgn underquilts I can supplement the SS with. I have been to the single numbers with one KAQ, the two inflatables, my polypro underwear and the sleeping bag. I am reasonably confident this will be a definte four season set up.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    i too am awaiting a s/s-it is supposed to be here on the 16th but that is a new holiday here (family day) so i don't really expect to get tomorrow but maybe Tues-i have my hammock all set-up in the basement for when it comes to workout any bugs and am going winter camping on Lake Huron (Pinery)this week-end.only supposed to go down to -8 celsius so that will be a good temp for a trial run-am quite excited
    Man, you cold tolerant Canadians always amaze me, brave enough to use SSs at the temps you get up there! But, clearly it can be done, as some have already used these things below zero F. But if I am going much below freezing, I need to add all kinds of additions and tricks to what I consider the standard SS: 1 pad, 1 space blanket or Heatsheet, the Undercover(UC) and/or the the OC(overcover), though I have never used the last one yet. I hear it works great. Are you going to use just the basic SS?

So below freezing I add, first of all, the optional kidney and torso pads. Actually, I just leave them in there most of the time since I'd rather be extra toasty anyway, and they are just a few ounces and a little extra bulk. Then I start adding Garlington Insulators ( a few oz) and/or extra clothing either on top of the HH OCF pad( for the lightest stuff like a pile balaclava) or down in the UC. Last but not least comes adding a pad ( with all of the above or by itself to just the basic set up) in an SPE inside the hammock for the coldest nights, which can take me to about any temp I am ever likely to encounter, and beyond. But so far I have never had to use the latter, which is just for emergency because it decreases comfort.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Is the purpose of the space blanket/heat sheet simply a vapor barrier, or is the reflective heat process a major part of the system. I do not have a "space blanket" nor a heat sheet. However I do have some Neat sheets which, if I understand correctly would serve as a vapor barrier. what is the trade off I am looking at there?

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...simply a vapor barrier, or is the reflective heat process a major part of the system.
    It's both, but I suspect the more important of the two is the vapor barrier.

I'm looking forward to trying this VB sandwich setup for three nights, predicted to be about 38 degF, this weekend:

Heresy Explorer hammock
    Space Blanket
    KAQ quilt
    SuperShelter UnderCover

I have not decided whether to use the SS OCF pad. I might want it as a holder for the SB.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Is the purpose of the space blanket/heat sheet simply a vapor barrier, or is the reflective heat process a major part of the system. I do not have a "space blanket" nor a heat sheet. However I do have some Neat sheets which, if I understand correctly would serve as a vapor barrier. what is the trade off I am looking at there?
    I don't think that is a good application for a 'near vapor barrier' like a Neat sheet. My reasoning is that you have the silnylon outer cover. The breathable Neat sheet could allow vapor to pass through it that would not pass through the silnylon outer cover and perhaps cause moisture buildup with the breathable insulation between the Neat sheet and silnylon outer cover. If you didn't have the silnylon outer cover, I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

I understand what a vapor barrier does between the hammock and open cell foam pad. As I understand it, a radiant reflector needs some space between it and whatever it is transferirng (or not transferring) radiant energy because of its reflective/transmission characteristics. I don't see that space in that application? I would think plastic drop cloth would work the same. But I do concede that a space blanket will work just as well without that space and better if for some reason there is a space. So, if you are concerned, just go with the space blanket.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast