Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Snugfit or PeaPod?

Hi, I am almost 100% sure I will be getting a Speer Hammock. I am trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.I am not sure if I should get the PeaPod or the Snugfit quilt. I do have a RayWay Top quilt my wife an her best friend made for me when I has a Hennessy Explorer 2 years ago.That top quilt is synthetic and a bit heavy. I will be using the Speer with the winter tarp option during the Spring and Fall mostly. I figure the lowest temp would be 30 degrees. Thanks for any input.
    Greg

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm a big fan of the SnugFit, but have never tried the PeaPod. That's a pretty beffy combo (SF or PP and a Winter Tarp) for the conditions you will be looking at camping in. I think the PeaPod is a bit lighter, but all that insulation plus a winter tarp may be overkill if you're concerned about weight. Then again, you may be a cold sleeper and need all the protection. Also, either one of those UQ solutions are going to be too much if the weather is on the warm side. I've not figured a real good way to vent the SnugFit (Youngblood?) and don't know if the PeaPod can be vented.

I'd be tempted to try the SPE in conjunction with a good 3 season top quilt. Between those and the winter tarp keeping most wind off of you, I think you'd be fine to those temps and have a lighter load to carry and less money spent. JMO
    Trust nobody!

Images
    That is a hard choice between 2 excellent products. Have you talked with Ed Speer
    ( NotToWorry )? He might be your best source of advice.

The PeaPod is an extremely efficient means of keeping warm in a top loading hammock, IMO. A great UQ that also takes care of some of your top quilt needs at the same time. Having the entire hammock, ends and both sides, sort of "sealed" up, and then the entire thing supported along the entire top by way of the Velcro closure, just works very well. IOW, it is kind of a "closed" system, much like being in a sleeping bag- or even kind of like a mummy bag if fully closed. It is even more efficient with narrow hammocks like a Claytor. In the wider hammocks like the Speer or BB and others, it is not quite as efficient ON TOP due to the hammock sides holding the pod up away from you body a few inches. So you will need some sort of minimal top quilt, depending on temps and what clothes you have with you. However, I do think once you add even a summer top quilt, it is then even warmer than it's 20*F rating- depending of course on the top quilt.

But wide or narrow hammock, it is always super efficient on the bottom due to the above design features. And you can add about whatever you want to the bottom to easily boost it beyond it's 20*F rating: dry clothes, space blankets, pads- whatever.

Plus, I have always thought it is a bargain considering how much 900 fp down you get.

Negatives: top loading gathered end hammocks only, it won't work well with any thing else. If you have marginal ( or none) top quilt or clothing, and need to close mostly or completely near the head, you will lose some shoulder room and won't be able to spread out as much as you might like. Though really no worse than being sealed up in a mummy bag, but just not as roomy as the hammock with a separate top quilt and UQ. And with a top quilt, that usually won't be a problem any way, because you will have the head end pretty open. Like most all UQ's, there will be a learning curve as far as adjusting it so that you don't have an excessive gap below you, but don't have it too tight so that you are compressing the loft. But this is not a big deal, you will quickly learn what is right for your hammock.

FWIW, I successfully did a week of mid-hi 20s-mid 30s in the Rockies last Sept with just the 20*F PeaPod and the warm clothing I had with me. No top quilt ( and a narrow Claytor hammock). On the first coldest night- no tarp, just under the stars- I was just barely warm enough on top ( definitely fine back warmth) and slept OK. As I got better at using my clothing to seal things off, I was more than warm enough the rest of the trip.

The Snugfit will, I think, fit a wider variety of hammocks. It will not hinder your sense of roominess, since there is nothing to close over you, except to whatever degree your top quilt closes you in. So claustrophobics take note, you might be happier with the SF and separate TQ. Best of all, there will be no worries about adjusting it too tight- just snug 'er up nice and close! And on warmer trips, you can leave the heavier top part behind and take something lighter, not an option with the pod.

Two great products.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-06-2009 at 13:28.

I talked to Ed at great length when I was trying to make up my mind. Here is what clinched it for me.

The PeaPod can be used year round and simply left loose should you not need so much insulation. The Snugfit is tight up against the hammock and there is little adjustment. Also, with the PeaPod in milder weather, it can also provide your top cover as well. I went on a section hike last September on the AT and never took my top quilt out of the sack. I simply used the PeaPod to regulate my comfort.

Give Ed a call, he can explain it much better than I ever could.

Images
    Cannibal, the venting options on the PeaPod are almost infinite. I slept in it on a warm night ( 60s? 65? mossys were out ) and was fine. Of course, the top was almost completely open most of the night, and it was hanging kind of loose below. Near dawn, I had the foot section closed up to about abdomen level and a fleece jacket over me like a blanket.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks BillyBob. I saw that when reading Mrprez's comments. The PeaPod is somewhat of a mystery to me having never used one. My bank account would prefer it if I never use one, but I've never been that good at listening to it anyhow. With my preference for wide hammocks with ridgelines, I may be able to continue to talk myself out of further investigations. Of course, I've still got a few hammocks that would work great with the design so there is always a chance.

As long as there isn't a sale on PeaPods that coincides with my commission check, I should be OK.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Thanks BillyBob. I saw that when reading Mrprez's comments. The PeaPod is somewhat of a mystery to me having never used one. My bank account would prefer it if I never use one, but I've never been that good at listening to it anyhow. With my preference for wide hammocks with ridgelines, I may be able to continue to talk myself out of further investigations. Of course, I've still got a few hammocks that would work great with the design so there is always a chance.

As long as there isn't a sale on PeaPods that coincides with my commission check, I should be OK.
    I also use my PeaPod on my HH and it works equally well as just an underquilt or, I can wrap it around me as it was intended to be used. I had it wrapped around me at Mt Rogers where it reached 11* on Saturday night and I was quite comfortable.

BTW, the PP is on sale now for an incredible price! http://speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You guys are NOT helping!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I also use my PeaPod on my HH and it works equally well as just an underquilt or, I can wrap it around me as it was intended to be used. I had it wrapped around me at Mt Rogers where it reached 11* on Saturday night and I was quite comfortable.

BTW, the PP is on sale now for an incredible price! http://speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
    Did this replace your TQ as well as your UQ?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Did this replace your TQ as well as your UQ?
    Not entirely. But when the temps are in the 60s or above and I am out of the wind, I find I don't need much at in the way of a TQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast