Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing

Tarp setup

Hello everyone,

I am looking for recommendations from you all on the lightest, easiest, and most durable setup to use with my Superfly tarp. I want to switch to a new system for both the ridgeline and the guy lines. I am open to all suggestions. Point me in the right direction!

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I am using zing it chord for my stake tie outs, and jacks r better ultralight tarp ridgeline chords.
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I use mini-lineloks permanently attached on little loops at the tarp end of my guy-lines, and tiny Dutch-hooks at the stake end. I leave the guy lines attached to the miniLineLoks (Spectra no-tangle line). No knots to tie or untie this way. I don't use a ridgeline.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tarp setup

Here is my setup. I have been around the block on tarp setups and this one allows me to get it right the first time, every time. It's brilliant!

I use a continuous ridgeline with Dutch hooks & Dutch tarp flys per Dehoha's video in this link...
    http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

The hardware comes from Dutch in these links...
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutch-flyz/

And...
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutch-hook/

This is the line I'm using. It weighs only 12.5 grams per 50 ft., the lightest I've found and a pleasure to work with...
    http://litetrail.com/shop/litetrail-...e-cord-50-feet

While the continuous ridgeline adds convenience, it also adds a length of cordage equal to your tarp's length. In my case, that's 11' which adds 3 grams (0.1 ounces) beyond a non-continuous ridgeline. Well worth it in my opinion.

I was using snakeskins which I dearly love, but I recently switched to using 7 pieces of braided mason line, 18" long each. As I roll my tarp from one corner, I tie a piece of line every 18" as I go. I've found this to perform equal to the snakeskins and I SAVED 2 OUNCES!

BTW, I have run my continuous ridgeline over and under the tarp, and have decided that I like under the best.

My corner tie-outs use the same line. I tie a perfection loop in one end and larks head it to the tarp D-ring and use a Marlin spike hitch at the stake. Or, if I'm tying to a bush I use a tautline hitch. This line has a spectra core but a polyester sheath that holds hitches very well.
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-16-2013 at 10:32.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Ridgeline - 15' ZingIt/LashIT with a Dutch Zingerz on 1 end, clipped to the tarp X2.

Tie-Outs - Small Loop of shock cord with a triangular line lock (from the HF store) threaded on it. This is larks headed onto the tieout ring (in case I want to change it out). Then I run a 4-10 ft length of Zing It thru the line lock with a fixed eye (for the stake) at one end, back splice at other end.

Simple, light, easy to modify or swap out. Have also used a prussick inplace of the linelocks if you are trying to minimize hardware.
    Jason

Huge prussik fan. Picked up a tip from HamMike, if you put the prussiks on your tarp tie-outs you can adjust tension from inside/underneath your tarp. Also prefer my tarp under a full-length ridgeline and just 'biner my tarp to prussiks on the ridgeline and pull taught.

Has almost no hardware and I've used this in some treacherous conditions and it's worked flawlessly for me. YMMV

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch

Tarp setup

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    BTW, I have run my continuous ridgeline over and under the tarp, and have decided that I like under the best
    I agree with everything you posted, but do wonder about this. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that a cat cut tarp would hang better from an over-the-tarp ridgeline... Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tarp setup

Quote Originally Posted by engine386 View Post
    I agree with everything you posted, but do wonder about this. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that a cat cut tarp would hang better from an over-the-tarp ridgeline... Thoughts?
    I found that it works both ways. Personally, I can get a bit tighter pitch with it under. Plus, it provides a clothesline even if it's raining.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Plus, it provides a clothesline even if it's raining.
    Mike,

How did you get the clothesline to work? The one and only time I tried that I ended up having the water soak through my tarp where I had hung my socks and then my tarp started to drip right at that very spot, which happened to be right over my head.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tarp setup

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Mike,

How did you get the clothesline to work? The one and only time I tried that I ended up having the water soak through my tarp where I had hung my socks and then my tarp started to drip right at that very spot, which happened to be right over my head.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    Good point, Dave! I suspect you were using a silnylon tarp, which could have that problem. I use a cuben tarp with zero bleed through. I suspect that a PU tarp would not bleed through either. I used to use a Spinnaker tarp and ran my continuous ridgeline over that one.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast