Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Question FL> Car Camping >looking for somewhere new

So a couple of guys do a yearly trip to just hangout, talk, libation consumption, and have good food. Unfortunately, we all have jobs now that require we go on the weekends. Our normal spots Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs, and Salt Springs are really flooded with the amperage on the weekend, and we would like something a bit quieter.

So my question is where are you favorite car camping spots in Florida. Preferably around central Florida, but open to all suggestions. Where are the hidden gem car camping sites you all like to visit? We get plenty of hiking in the fall, this trip we need to just park it and set up.

Thanks

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I don't like to car camp too much. The Annual HHangCon is one of the few I like. I like to hike in to get away from the crowd.

That said, I do like Tomoka State Park. It's North of Ormond Beach. It's a great place for kayaks as well as biking and a little hiking. And a great show of fireflies. I don't know if there are suitable sites to hang a hammock, so I would suggest you bring hammock stands just in case.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Normally FH I would agree with ya. Though what we plan on bringing wouldn't be light... At all. But that's fine we have some hikes planned as well. Though might be looking for a few more hiking spots as well. The Ole go to Hidden Pond was quite crowded last we went.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You would like our Annual Sherpa Hang. It's a mix of car camping and hiking. The campsite has a few trails to it from about a mile to several miles. We can carry upwards to about 60 lbs of gear with the modified (Sherpas).
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    One of my new favorites and good for just chillaxing is the Gator Hole in Green Swamp West. It is a mile or so in from the trail head off CR 471 so unless you are bringing in coolers of libations it is doable. My libations lean toward bourbon so the load isn't as bad as cold beers would be.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recrea...wamp-west.html
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    The youth or group area at silver springs if you can get in. Santos campground in ocala has bike and hike access. Wekiva springs in Apopka. Little Big econ has some access in Orlando. Blue Springs is another. Just a few options.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    We stayed in the group site at Tomoka last time. I'm not sure what the price is. We had maybe 20 campers so I don't know if they charge by the head or if it's a flat rate for the site. There are tons of trees (no problem with hanging) along with a big fire pit, flush toilets, and such. Being in the regular tent/RV sites just doesn't sounds like a good idea unless you relish barking dogs and screaming kids.

For a pretty short hike on what are essentially forest service roads you might consider Hal Scott Preserve. The star viewing isn't that great since you're practically on the edge of Orlando but the price is right (free). Each campsite is a big oak hammock so there were plenty of trees. Two big drawbacks are that water isn't close by even though one site has a pitcher pump (water tastes like rusty nails). The area gets quite a bit of use so about every scrap of combustible material has been picked over. There's plenty of bigger deadfall if you bring a good sized saw and/or splitting maul but the arm-sized stuff is tough to find.

Tosohatchee WMA has 3 nice sites plus a big group equestrian site. You park maybe 40yds from the actual site so lugging in coolers and such is no problem. Each site has a table and a pretty nice fire ring. They have one big pit toilet with a paved parking space (ADA approved??) and that's about it. I don't remember but I think there was wood around but I'm not sure if you were supposed to collect it. This place caters to a lot of hunters and is pretty out of the way. There are several loop trails or you can drive out to the St. Johns River.

That's my short list of suggestions. I take my kids camping about once a month and the requirements are kind of the same. We tent camp but like to have amenities if possible.
    Last edited by zukiguy; 05-01-2016 at 16:36.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 40* Quilt Set
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Curious as well.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 40* Quilt Set
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    One of my new favorites and good for just chillaxing is the Gator Hole in Green Swamp West. It is a mile or so in from the trail head off CR 471 so unless you are bringing in coolers of libations it is doable. My libations lean toward bourbon so the load isn't as bad as cold beers would be.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recrea...wamp-west.html
    How many hammocks is there room for out there?

I know that it's past the posted time. But , for future referance check into Cape San Blais outside of Port St. Joe in the panhandle. You can even do a extreme primitive hike and camp out to the tip of the peninsula. What makes it extreme is the fact that you carry your water in, you see no freash water avaliable.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
    ~Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast