Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

Tupelo Ms?

Got stationed here for a couple months in Tupelo, any body have any clues on good hangin spots? I have already been rousted twice.
    Last edited by Aardvark; 03-18-2013 at 06:45.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Images
    Well, sure, Aardvark! Where did you get rousted?

But are you looking for a place to backpack for an overnighter? If so, you may either have to travel a little bit, or stealth camp. There are lots of places for stealth camping, and there are some National forests not to far from here.

But if your just looking for a closeby campground, just head about 6 miles west towards Pontotoc on Hwy 6/278. Go just a few miles past the Lee county/Pontotoc county line to Trace State Park. I hike the woods there all the time, hang in those woods ( although overnighting is, if you ask the authorities, is not allowed) and hung in the campgrounds with no hassle so far. They have RV and primitive campsites, and I have hung in both. Or you could camp in the campgrounds and day hike in the woods all day. If we can be off on the same time, I can show you around out there if you would like. Just be prepared: sometimes my aching feet really slow me up.

Where are you stationed? Are you talking about something in the military( not likely)? Are you here with Toyota?

If you are looking for a good place to backpack and over night without having to stealth, go 90 miles east past Hamilton to just north of Double Springs, and enter the grand Sipsey Wilderness.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-17-2013 at 21:56.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    They didn't take so kindly in the Trace National park, indicated I needed to go to an established camping site.... they saw the truck and checked out on foot where I was. I am down here to support the Toyota Plant in Blue Springs till September, feeling my way around for spots, went to Trace STATE park this weekend to scout it out, just like it a little quieter... miss the Red River Gorge and Cave Run back in KY.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    They didn't take so kindly in the Trace National park, indicated I needed to go to an established camping site.... they saw the truck and checked out on foot where I was. I am down here to support the Toyota Plant in Blue Springs till September, feeling my way around for spots, went to Trace STATE park this weekend to scout it out, just like it a little quieter... miss the Red River Gorge and Cave Run back in KY.
    OK, on the Trace National Parkway, that runs from south MS to Nashville, that is just a narrow 1/4 mile band ( total, or 1/4 mile on each side of the road? I think maybe total) on the side of the road. And of course, all those typical intense National Park type rules. Still, I am surprised they followed you in. Unless your truck was parked over night, then I can see they might do that, as that would be unusual.

At Trace State Park, did you get on the trails and hike in? But it is true there is lots of 4 wheeler use and dirt bike use on weekends. Still, on weekdays I usually see no one else once I am on the trails, or worst case hear a dirt bike way off in the distance.

These trails are pretty much unmaintained, but I often hike off trail. So even on week ends I can pretty well avoid the bikers/4wheelers. They are always concentrated on the trails nearest where you park at Bushwhacker "camp" or parking area, and they mostly stay on the biggest trails, so hiking the smaller trails or off trail makes it easy to avoid them even on weekends. And once you get a good distance west of the main parking areas, and over near the Spring Hill abandoned community, you will rarely see any one even on weekends, almost never on a week day. But whatever day, you will probably be the only hiker in the woods.

But if you are here for Toyota, I bet you are only off on weekends, right? There are National Forests not far north of Blue Springs and not far south of Tupelo. You might get their maps and check them out. I don't think anyone will bother you if you hike in and hang there. But you will need to have a place where you feel safe leaving your truck parked. Other than that, on the weekends, just head for the Sipsey in AL! Believe me, you will find that plenty quiet, and lots of beautiful waterfalls.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Tishomingo is not too far away- about an hour NE on the Trace from Tupelo. They have a scenic 10-13mile trail, some canoeing on Bear Creek (that goes all the way into AL near Red Bay)- it's the highest point in MS and a really nice place to relax.

http://mississippistateparks.reserve...&parkId=151816

http://www.mdwfp.com/parks-destinati...ishomingo.aspx
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    i just got back into camping and i haven't tried any of the campgrounds around the state. i've just been going to a friends land and stealth by the pearl river, but i've been wanting to try some other locations. i'll definitely need to look into some of these. thanks guys.

i'm glad that i decided to see whats going on in the trip planning section. totally surprised me that there was a MS thread.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    i just got back into camping and i haven't tried any of the campgrounds around the state. i've just been going to a friends land and stealth by the pearl river, but i've been wanting to try some other locations. i'll definitely need to look into some of these. thanks guys.

i'm glad that i decided to see whats going on in the trip planning section. totally surprised me that there was a MS thread.
    My son and I are gonna try Rocky Springs sometime in April just south of Jackson. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hexagonal
    Insulation
    working on that
    Suspension
    Hennessy lash
    Images
    I look forward to any reports of camping along the Trace. I am thinking of a motorcycle trek with my hammock from Natchez upward. Thinking of trying all of the camp grounds along the way.

I did look here for official info:
    http://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/camping.htm But sometimes actual reviews are more helpful.

RT

• + New Posts