Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    So....when's the next hang? Spring/Summer is here! We have to get another one in this year...who say's we can only have a SoCal Group Hang once a year!

A Halloween Hang sounds good too

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    So....when's the next hang? Spring/Summer is here! We have to get another one in this year...who say's we can only have a SoCal Group Hang once a year!

We just did an early spring group what you need another fix. Group yearly yes closer to Henderson yes count me in.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by arczeneb View Post
    We just did an early spring group what you need another fix. Group yearly yes closer to Henderson yes count me in.
    Of course! I backpack at least once or twice a month It keeps me sane and it's better than heading to a local watering hole or a club

Some people golf, etc. I prefer to spend a weekend in the woods if I can

I already have a few trips lined up...

- for April, both in Sespe Wilderness - One overnight and the other is a multi-day trek from Bear Trap Camp to Pine Mountain Lodge.

- for May, possible Mt. San Antonio (Baldy) overnight

- for June/July, possibly Jennie and Weaver Lakes Loop (Sequoia NP)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Prologue: I know I am missing people. Please let me know who so I can update!

Thanks again to everyone that came out, it was a terrific time and I learned so much. Not only about hammocks, but especially about backpacking in general. There was so much knowledge that I'm going to integrate into my rig. And though I'm not too into DIY stuff, I will admit I am going to be making some changes based on what I learned.

Please forgive me if I get the order of events wrong. I was fairly out of it on Friday and recovering Saturday!

Friday Night:

arczeneb arrived first thing in the morning from near Las Vegas (he left at midnight!) and started laying claim to spots. This was a lifesaver and we all owe him a debt of gratitude. Between his GI-JOE077's, and GI-JOE077's son's work we were able to secure 4 spots right next to eachother in our own semi-private corner of the campground.

Chetter72 and I arrived after medicmikep and ripcurlksm. By the time we got there everyone had set the main site up really well and were sitting around the campfire well on their way to the kind of sleep we got that night (an uncouth person might refer to it as "passing out" but as a gentleman I will used the term "medicated").

Later in the evening Miguel and his son arrived and got settled in. I think someone else came up that evening as well, but things started getting fuzzy for me about 30 minutes after arrival. I know there was some time spent before I arrived with arczeneb's telescope that I was told was really impressive.

On Saturday we saw the arrival of the rest of the crew: SoCal Mike, Boots13, yavol and his brother, mangus7175 and his 2 great kids, and 1thathikes. We got a chance to check out everybody's rigs in the daylight and it was pleasure seeing so much innovation. Mangus gave us a demo of how to build a Foster's pot and stove (I don't know how many were made this weekend, but I think Foster's stock must have budged upwards at least 2 points).

Yavol and his brother gave a great demo regarding knife sharpening and sharpened many items while there. I was particularly impressed by how much effort was shown towards teaching GI-JOE's son as to how to go about it.

SoCal Mike showed up in the afternoon with his DIY bridge hammock which was really interesting. Based on everyone's reaction, I don't know if Megan Fox running through the campground naked would have garnered more attention.

After much BSing, rig inspection, and discussion the potluck turned out spectacularly. Plenty of great food and conversation. Really much better than I could have anticipated. The evening rolled around with the campfire and conversation.

Several people were treated to a demo of arczeneb's telescope which included viewing Jupiter! Besides a group of people at a nearby site playing music too loud, the evening went off without a hitch. I may bring stink bombs next year for such an occasion. By 11 or so everybody retired for the evening.

Sunday morning brought breakfast, more BSing, packing up, and goodbyes. I think every person there was excited about doing it again. Which makes me think we have a good shot at finally establishing a SoCal presence among the HF community. I see no reason why next year couldn't be bigger and better with even more demos. All in all, just a really great bunch of guys from different walks of life having a good time.

Some of my favorite moments:

The rare moments I was able to make medicmikep laugh.

Spending time with chetter72, one of my best friends for the last 22 years.

Seeing SoCal Mike's DIY bridge hammock and being regaled by his stories about his brother and co.

Being impressed by Boots13's DIY attitude. He takes it to a whole new level. he even brought DIY bacon from a pig he raised. If he had Type II diabetes I wouldn't be surprised if he started DIYing his own insulin. I was also pleasantly surprised to have a conversation about 90's era hip-hop.

yavol and his brother doing the knife work was amazing and I was happy to have some great conversation and the help to finish off my bottle of Elmer T Lee before I hurt myself.

GI-JOE 077 and his son were really impressive in their knowledge of bushwacking. I was super impressed with his son's self-reliance and manners. GIJOE is also one of the funniest people I've ever met. Plus, he does a mean Barbara Streisand.

Miguel and his son continually cracked me up. I loved watching the dynamic of their father/son relationship. Just really wonderful people.

mangus7175's demo was good and all, but he is in pending status for next year's event as far as I am concerned until I receive the recipe for the carne asada he brought. His kid's were also great. Seeing that little girl swinging in that hammock was sweet.

1thathikes wins the bold and badass award for showing up with a sheet and two straps pulled from auto-cinches. I think it may have been for the best for him to do so because he came in with so little he was able to get tons of advice and suggestions.

Lastly, arczeneb was our all-star and really deserves most of the credit for this going off so well. He is so well-traveled and has interesting thoughts and experience about any subject. He is the glue that held the whole thing together. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.

There were too many great moments to list, but hopefully this gives some sort of idea as to the kind of event it was and sparks some interest in next year's hang. I think I wa smost impressed by everyone's self-reliance and responsibility to the group/event. We all had a good time (perhaps too much of a good time) but nobody got out of hand and everybody pulled their own weight and then some. That is amazing for a group of strangers. I don't know why I should be surprised with so many backpackers and hangers, but it was a great relief of any of my anxiety about the trip.

As to more hangs... I am pretty busy in the Summer and Fall so I don't know if I could get away. I would be glad to help from the board end in co-ordinating if I can but will not be likely to make it until next year's Spring event.

Thanks again to everyone!
    Last edited by WillieCash; 03-19-2013 at 17:13.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles

Out playing

Once again it's been my pleasure to assist and adding my 1 cent to whatever I might know. Thanks for my long distance award my better half got a kick out of our new decoration.
    Providing information to those that have not see the night sky with a few objects available M42, Jupiter, Luna and more that was a pleasure.
    For those that remember Saturday early morning mad dash for the upcoming race next time not so close to the road after Friday evening tea and crumpets. Ideas taken home thinking about how to improve the outdoor experience.
    I to will be busy off and on exploring; Lake Powell in April, New York in June and more kayaking oh yea toss the hammock in there somewhere down the Colorado River. Yes my better half gets a trip to Palm Springs in September B&B ruffing it.

For next year if all is well I plan an early arrival so come and take your medicine; coffee, tea or milk.

To all have a safe and wonderful 2013.

arczeneb/pedro

Hammock
    H/H Stock
    Tarp
    H/H Stock
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    Stock
    If WillieCash like''d, my Barbra Streisand.....
    wait till you see my Phyllis Diller.....lol

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanx everyone I had a blast and was totally bummed out I had to come home saturday night. If anyone has some trips lined up id love to come im still learning a lot about backpacking so it would be cool to learn some more from you guys.

Hammock
    BIAS Campus lounger
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I wanted to say thanks to everyone. Had a good time and was nice to finally put a face to names. Learned a lot and was nice talking to people with the same intrest and understood what you were talking about. The food was awesome!!! Thanks Willie for setting everything up and making me laugh A halloween hang would be cool, but im up for anything. Here some pics i took.
    Attached Images Attached Images

next socal hang

Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post

We definitely need to coordinate with Trigrhappy. I didn't have a chance to attend the hang last year in the Big Bear area that he organized, but I heard everyone who attended had a great time. If we get the guys from his trip and the guys from this trip together...that'd be great. The more the merrier.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Hammock
    H/H Stock
    Tarp
    H/H Stock
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    Stock
    Halloween Hang, would be awesome !
    in Big Bear, it doesn't get any better than that.... what's it gonna take, to get this Kick started ! all eyes are upon you Trigger happy ! someone's gonna have to take initiative !!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast