I know from all my years working that I am a visual learner. However nothing points this out more than when I try to do something with a hammock. I have a gathered end hammock. Overall length is 120". Now I am trying to put on an adjustable ridge line on it, which is attached to the hammock right at the gathered ends. From the calculations I see, a rule of thumb is .83 * length which in my case is 99.6". By some quirk or stroke of luck, I just went out and measured what I setup just playing around with it and I have the ridgeline tightened so that it is 100". When I get in/out of the hammock that seems comfortable and I feel like I am lying relatively flat. All good, except either I don't understand this ridgeline stuff or am expecting too much. When I get in the hammock, the ridgeline basically collapses, which makes total sense since now I have pulled the ends with my weight. Not only is it now in my way, but the idea of getting a bug net that is held up by the ridgeline is definitely not in the cards. So my basic instincts are to tighten the ridgeline, so that it would be tight when I get in the hammock. This has got to be wrong, because I would be taking quite a few inches off the length to get this result. Also with a much shorter ridgeline my hammock would have "quite the sag", resulting in my messing up what seems like a good distance off the ground and ability to be relatively flat. Should I get someone to lay in the hammock and adjust the ridgeline then - not worrying about how long or short it is? Maybe I have not found the right instructions or better yet video, but this has me a little stumped (as hammock physics usually does

Any advice or pointer to other information would be appreciated.

Definitely not a hammock savant.

Tom