WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    As far as price is concerned, it's been said pretty clearly. It is very low(DIY, ((sometimes)) upto very high.
    DIY can save your bacon, mmmmm bacon. But, sometimes it can be just as expensive as getting extremely good gear from our cottage vendors, if you don't know what your doing.

Going to our vendors, you have a complete item and remember, they are also hikers/hammockers, and mostly forum members here as well, and you know your gear will be top notch, made by folks that actually use their products.

As far as my DIY gear, my thread injector I received for Christmas this past year is more expensive than all that DIY added up.

Pick your battles as far as the price/experience you can afford to make and what you can purchase. Upgrade when needed/if needed.

Good luck and have fun.
    Bacon mmmmmm. I second that motion. Oh, wait, what? Yeah, HYOH, Ozark trail makes a cheap duck down bag $70 then add a cheap pad, done. Or if you decide you want, better, lighter, more packable, better insulating you move up then. I still use my car reflector shield I got from Hennessy Hammock, because it was cheap, light-ish, and works long as its not to cold. I use fleece fabric to make a cover with a can of spray adhesive and scissors its light and effective.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    When I first got into backpacking I started making a checklist of gear and prices. I was blown away when I totaled it all up and it was over $5000.

Then I started looking at ways to do things cheaper. Thus I found DIY. It started simply enough with soda can stoves. Before I knew it I was drinking more soda and beer just to get the empty cans to play with. Then came the sewing. First a small practice stuff sack (turned out to become my stake bag) followed by my first hammock. Before I knew it I was conquering down filled quilts. And now I'm planning a new (much lighter) backpack.

For me DIY is not just about saving money, although it had saved me quite a bit. DIY allows me to enjoy my hobby of backpacking, even when I can't get out for a trip. Instead of spending a night under the stars in the Linville Gorge, I spend a night tinkering with my latest creation. Sure I'd rather be in the gorge, but it still beats staring at the idiot box.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12