Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    slap straps pro
    Images

My first KoA

We are heading down to south Florida to see family over this easter weekend, and planned to camp overnight in the Jacksonville area before the final stretch to Vero Beach. As half of my family is from Fernandina Beach (one of the most beautiful and stereotypical old Florida towns still around), we had hoped to stay in Ft. Clinch State Park, as the rangers assured me there was always a last minute opening.

Well, unfortunately, the exception to the rule was us, and though we had an gracious offer to crash on someone's land, and as I had two of my kids in tow, we took our chances at a KoA.

I've driven by countless KoA campsites in my life and never thought much of them, as I am a State Park guy, and until recently, car/family camped exclusively. Plus, seemed as if (and rightly so) that they cater to RV's, trailers, pop-ups and the like.

I called ahead, and let them know that I needed a tent site but also needed an area that would have enough trees for me to put up my hammock rigging. They were a bit confused at first but after explaining to them that this was my tent and the ground wasn't a place I could manage well, they understood and offered me the run of the place.

When we arrived, the employees were very gracious and helpful and allowed me to pick out a spot. The choices were a bit slim (they recently cut down some brush and trees). The price wasn't too bad, and the amenities (including breakfast) made it worth the money.

As far as the site was concerned, we were so close to I-95 that the traffic woke me up on a number of occasions. There are also street lamps on 24/7 which made it a little brighter than I like.

The temperature dipped in to the mid to low 40s and I was able to stay warm throughout the night but the girls had a rough time staying warm in their tent (they insisted on the 6 person tent vs. the 2 person tent because it is a little easier to put up and the queen sized inflatable mattress fits in it).

My biggest problem was that the ENO slapstrap Pros stretched so much that I had to adjust them twice. I finally relooped on strap and tied it to another to give it enough tension to hold me up. I'm not sure if it was the temperature or my weight or I was slipping down the tree (I doubt it as I had it pretty high). Nevertheless, I think I will experiment with a DIY rig or try something new. I DID wash my DN recently and it may have done some stretching of its own as well.

All-in-all, though I doubt I'll stay here again due to the traffic noise, I would consider overnighting at a KoA in the future. I know this may make me sound like a traitor or pariah, but hey, HYOH

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the write-up.

I've thought of staying there in the past but for whatever reason it never worked out. Maybe that is for the best

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: My first KoA

I have thought a lot about staying at KOA but usually in Texas there is a state park somewhere down the road and I would rather support the state parks and wildlife than a company... But your write up let's me know I can give them a shot sometime...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Slapstraps are nylon, nylon stretches. Most of the webbing sold by our cottage guys is polyester. Doesn't stretch.

Thanks for the write up, most nights spent camping as a kid in Michigan were at KOA's

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Slapstraps are nylon, nylon stretches. Most of the webbing sold by our cottage guys is polyester. Doesn't stretch.

Thanks for the write up, most nights spent camping as a kid in Michigan were at KOA's
    Second this strap info. Ditch the slap straps and go for whoopies or cinch buckles.

I'll be putting KoA's on the list as a possibility. Thanks for the write up and Happy Easter!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    That brought back a lot of memories. We would try to stay at state or federal parks going to Florida or Up Michigan' and stay at KoAs when they were full. Pool, game room, lots of fun.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    If you like the strapss go for their new Atlas straps. Many more loops on them and their poly now.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    I've always wondered about KoAs - I'm sure YMMV depending on the location, but glad it worked out well for you.

There will be many suggestions to solve your slap strap woes - I'd recommend looking at options from Strapworks.com. Their "Seatbelt Polyester Simple Sling" is what I use. You can pick the length, color, and loop size.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    KOAs generally great for families, the amenities. Also if you are on the road, they have wifi and you can touch base there if you need to do a quick bit of work or email.

I have also used them when traveling alone, as a woman, I've pulled up the stakes a couple of times- trusting intuition, and pulled into KOAs down the road a bit. I'm still alive and kicking, so there's something to say for spending that 25 bucks and finding yourself safe and surrounded by families. :-)

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    KOA's vary wildly... I've been to some that were like resorts, others that delivered BBQ dinners, and some that were not much more than parking lots...

Still, a day camping is a good day...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast