Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliger View Post
    so then no real complaints ... the pad does add some warmth and does not really cut into the comfy factor. i'll give it a go.

any strongish feelings about the pros/cons of ccf vs self inflating?

Thanks for the feedback
    Because I canoe, I carry more weight and carry a thermarest for which I have the chair kit. It is real comfy to sit in next to the fire. Double duty as a chair and a pad for a number of applications.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Ain't never had too yet since I joined the hangers ... TG! I hope not too ... don't even want to be buried in the ground.
    Hang me high in the sky... on the ground? Oh, why, why, why?
    so then no real complaints ... the pad does add some warmth and does not really cut into the comfy factor. i'll give it a go.

Thanks for the feedback
    If weight is a concern then you want CCF. You can't beat the weight to warmth ratio. Now some people like the way an air mattress feels in their hammock. I personally don't see a point since the main point of the air mattress is comfort and in my hammock I'm already comfortable.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    hey all - i am just getting used to the mt washington UQ. I am loving the way this thing wraps around me and warms things up, just feels great (i'll stop there). Frankly, I don't want to add a pad because i think it will interfere with the cozy factor and the wrap factor (did I say i'd stop).

Do people tend to use pads with UQs for additional warmth and not so much?

Twilliger
    the pad will add mucho warmth, but will be less comfortable than the lovely hammock fabric. (i hate this reality as well)

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images

Thanks for the feedback
    ccf- warmer self inflating- much more comfortable...

Big Agnes makes a insulated pad that is 2.5" thick. It will take you down to 15°F It packs a lot smaller than a ccf pad but will weigh more. See the specs on it http://www.rei.com/product/763945
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Hey now I still sleep on the ground when need be. Making miles sometimes is important and as much as I love hanging, if it comes to making miles, I'll pitch my MacCat in an A-Frame and do what needs to be done. A Z-rest pad my MacCat and my Summerlite weigh 2.25 pounds together.

Images

Thanks for the feedback
    Well, depending on which hammock, or even which pad, you are using, there may indeed be a significant cut in the comfort factor. Especially if you are one of them there back sweaters I have heard about! Now if you are adding pad to a JRB BMBH, you may never know the pad is there except for a big boost in warmth. A pad might work pretty well comfort wise ion some other double layer hammocks. In some hammocks it might be a real hassle, especially if you don't use it with an Speer SPE.

Like you, I have been using the MWUQ, and it is indeed nice. I have been warm to a damp 12*F in it with out any add ons, and it is rated a bit lower than that. I am not likely to get a chance to test it at much lower temps. How cold are you going to?

When I got the MWUQ, the Jacks told me "You won't need any tin foil with this one"! And I think they are right at the rated temps. None the less, I have no doubt adding a space blanket or heat sheet would work just as well with the MWUQ as it has worked in the PeaPod and HHSS. I would expect a 10* or more boost, with the added benefit of keeping body moisture from condensing in the down when temps are super cold. A real plus on multiday really cold, damp, cloudy trips. In my previous experience in the PeaPod and SS, this has had zero negative effect comfort wise, and I would expect the same with the MWUQ. But I have not tested this yet.

In the BMBH, I would not hesitate to add a pad ( CCF or inflating, no matter) to the pad pocket to help out the MWUQ near or below it's rating. And I would expect minimal decrease in comfort in this hammock. But I think even before I did that, I would add a space blanket. Just IMHO!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12