Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time

Ridgerunner Pack Up Methods When Wet (Backpacking)

My new Ridgerunner shipped today (ordered same day!). I'm curious how current (backpacking) owners pack up their hammock when the triangles are wet?

My previous hammock unhooked from the suspension well under the tarp.... so I just left my underquilt attached and stuffed the whole package into my pack liner with my top quilt because everything was dry. The wet suspension elements went in their own sack outside of my pack.

The Ridgerunner's triangles will stick out of my Superfly about 12" on each side. I'll install some drip lines for sure...but what methods do you use to keep the dry parts dry?

Thanks in advance for sharing your methods.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I've only had mine for about a week and haven't had it out in the rain yet. But here's what I'm thinking.
    The Ridgerunner comes with a Bishop Bag that opens and has a drawstring on each end. You can stuff the hammock into the bag and leave the suspension triangles outside the bag. I guess that still leaves the wet suspension in your pack but at least not in direct contact with your hammock. Maybe stuff the wet parts in a strong plastic bag and secure with a rubber band?
    Hmmm...guess I don't have a good solution, but I bet someone here has some good ideas.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    In my mind, the perfect system would be a change to the hardware that holds the spreader bars. Think Dutch biner with a hole in it for the spreader bars. This way the backpacker could leave all suspension elements together and just un-clip the hammock body for dry packing...while the triangle stays with the other wet stuff in a separate exterior bag. Perhaps someone already has configured a solution like this....interested to see what comes up.

I love the ability to leave my insulation on the dry hammock body. I guess this could also really help out the Spindrift users.
    Last edited by hikenbike; 07-04-2014 at 07:47.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I took a closer look at mine.
    If you replace the apex buckle with a carabiner the "V" could be disconnected from your whoopies or straps. Then, if the "V" was wet, you could undo the larks head from the spreader pieces to separate them from the hammock.

OR: these http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/superlight_karabiners look like they might fit into the spreader pieces and then the amsteel "V" could be attached to them. But I haven't actually seen these carabiners hands on.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Biners would be ideal...but the holes on the hardware are quite small. Some small soft shackles would work though...I'd just be concerned with adding too much length to hammock with a long footprint. Like the idea

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    How much "wet" is a few feet of amsteel (wiped off) really going to introduce into your pack?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    How much "wet" is a few feet of amsteel (wiped off) really going to introduce into your pack?
    I agree!

I've had my bridge out in some pretty torrential rainstorms and had to pack up wet. The amsteel by it's very nature doesn't wet out like a cotton cord would.

Come to think of it, I've never even worried about wet cord. By the time I've done moving the hammock around packing up quilts and such, I've pretty much shaken any water off the cord anyways.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Good point. Just do my best to keep my down bone dry. With the undershirt removed it is probably not an issue

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    When wet, I disengage the straps from the cinch buckles and pack them separately. The Amsteel triangle I just quickly wipe with a small piece of camp towel material that I keep for these kinds of jobs.

The only problem is if you use drip lines on the suspension, they will be wet. Mine are made from strips of the same camp towel material (Sham-Wow-type stuff) and a quick squeeze removes 90% of their water. Into the bag and off you go.

Don't forget the straps you just left hanging on the tree! Did that once. Luckily I'd only hiked 200 m down the trail.

BTW I notice Arrowhead sells a silnylon strap bag for wet or sap-covered straps. Got my eye on that...

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I agree!

I've had my bridge out in some pretty torrential rainstorms and had to pack up wet. The amsteel by it's very nature doesn't wet out like a cotton cord would.

Come to think of it, I've never even worried about wet cord. By the time I've done moving the hammock around packing up quilts and such, I've pretty much shaken any water off the cord anyways.
    +1 on this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast