DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Coyotes

Took my first real hang (not in my back yard) last night at Lake Thomas, about 20 miles out in the country.

Had some supper FBC-style, using the new QiWiz windscreen that I really like:

And then, yes, Ma, you can cook breakfast from a hammock!

This was my view. The lake is at 5% capacity due to 2 years of drought:

After the kids quit their party down by the water around midnight, leaving with a roar of engines, dust, and booming speakers, the coyotes started up! There must have been 20 of them, strung out for a mile in the pasture behind me, keeping me awake all night!

Need nap.

Last edited by MDSH; 04-14-2013 at 15:10.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

We have a pack that runs Zaleski to Tar Hollow. Surprisingly I find them soothing anymore. Let them keep guard.

Looks like a little hammock oasis you found yourself though. What UQ is that?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That's why I carry earplugs... I also carry them for defense against noise pollution from my camping buddy... His snoring scares bears and mountain lions...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Coyotes

Sounds like a nice night... Coyotes don't bother me much, just soothe me to sleep... As a general rule, they always sound closer then they actually are...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Awesome to hear some wildlife on your first hang! Thanks for the pics. Cool to see what your corner of the world looks like.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    We have a pack that runs Zaleski to Tar Hollow. Surprisingly I find them soothing anymore. Let them keep guard.

Looks like a little hammock oasis you found yourself though. What UQ is that?

It's a DIY Marmot modification. It will soon be too much for conditions and is not UL but came in handy last night for car camping. It was breezy and cool; got down to 40! Used with a 40* Mountain Hardware bag inside the hammock, loose wool sock and wool watch cap.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    That's why I carry earplugs... I also carry them for defense against noise pollution from my camping buddy... His snoring scares bears and mountain lions...
    I've always enjoyed hearing sounds at night -- what freaked me out was so many of them. If there were 30 I would not be surprised. The land around the lake is posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Sounds like a nice night... Coyotes don't bother me much, just soothe me to sleep... As a general rule, they always sound closer then they actually are...
    Yes, and as a rule they are not bold creatures at all. But I've never heard so many go on and on like that right next to me. I wonder if the drought is depriving them of food.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Awesome to hear some wildlife on your first hang! Thanks for the pics. Cool to see what your corner of the world looks like.
    I heard a Bob White calling at sunrise. A pair of Scissortails had a nest close by.

It's bleak, sturgeon. We need rain in the worst way.

Mike

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Given the time of year, and that they were so loud I bet they were teaching the new puppies to hunt, and caught something...

We have lots near my home, and spring is always a good time for a coyote party!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lots of coyotes here too. I live out in the country and they are all around. They go crazy howling every night when a train passes through in the valley below. They are right outside my garage sometimes. New pups are here from the sounds last night.
    Hello from Lookout Mountain in N.E. Alabama,home of Little River Canyon National Preserve- The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Given the time of year, and that they were so loud I bet they were teaching the new puppies to hunt, and caught something...

We have lots near my home, and spring is always a good time for a coyote party!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    Lots of coyotes here too. I live out in the country and they are all around. They go crazy howling every night when a train passes through in the valley below. They are right outside my garage sometimes. New pups are here from the sounds last night.
    I'll bet that right.

Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast