DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies

I've resisted going to ground!

The forecast in the Smokies for the weekend has steadily worsened - from 60s/40s to 50s/30s. The rain chance went from 20% to 60% for Saturday and thunderstorms for my hike out Sunday. It could be a cold and wet trip.

I had set my tent and pad out last night while packing, just in case. This morning when packing the car I left them at home. I'm kind of proud of myself; I haven't hung in significant or lasting rain yet so this weekend could be quite an adventure. What is more, this could end up being a solo trip as one friend cancelled and I haven't heard from the other in a week. Going to charge the Kindle and put some books on it tonight though I hope to get enough sun to do a bit of fishing on Saturday.

It looks like those of you hanging in RRG this weekend might have nasty weather as well. May your tarps keep you dry and your backsides remain warm.

-Matt-

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    May your tarps keep you dry and your backsides remain warm.

-Matt-
    Matt, I think you have just created the supreme HammockForum greeting to one another!

Have fun but be safe out there!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Your back will thank you! If you think you need a little insurance, drop by WallyWorld and pick up a ~$7 blue CCF pad on the way. It'll go quite a ways towards keeping your back warm, even if you're using an underquilt.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Matt, I think you have just created the supreme HammockForum greeting to one another!

Have fun but be safe out there!
    What he said...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest &amp; DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad &amp; slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    What he said...

I must agree
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    agree with flrider...get a cheap light pad...it once saved my butt (literally) when temps dropped below my (admittedly badly set up) quilts' rating.

tarp dry, backside warm, etc etc....
    sturgeon

have a great time

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Your back will thank you! If you think you need a little insurance, drop by WallyWorld and pick up a ~$7 blue CCF pad on the way. It'll go quite a ways towards keeping your back warm, even if you're using an underquilt.

Hope it helps!
    What about an emergency space blanket? You could put it on underquilt, outside the hammock (between the inner side of the quilt and the bottom of the hammock). So much less bulky than the pad, and it should help cut the wind and reflect the heat. Thats part of the Hennessy "supershelter" setup, although I don't use that product, it sounds good in theory.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    If you know enough to stay dry you are going to have a GREAT HANG, I have Hung in awful storms on the Oregon Coast, I enjoyed them so much, I can not express my pleasure.

My hammock (Hennessy EUL), swang in all six directions, the punny little stock tarp kept the rain out (it required a lot of negative experience). My hammock went up and down as the trees bent toward each other and then away, the wind blew the hammock from side to side, the trees also moved the hammock forward and back. I slept like a baby in a cradle. So much better than my tent would have been. I have had tent failure in exactly the same spot.

You are going to have a great trip. Just use good sense, batten down the hatches and enjoy.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    What about an emergency space blanket? You could put it on underquilt, outside the hammock (between the inner side of the quilt and the bottom of the hammock). So much less bulky than the pad, and it should help cut the wind and reflect the heat. Thats part of the Hennessy "supershelter" setup, although I don't use that product, it sounds good in theory.
    A space blanket will help, yes, but by being a vapor barrier, not by reflecting heat. Radiant heat is less of an issue than space blanket manufacturer's will have you believe; heat loss through evaporation of water, on the other hand, is a biggie. A space blanket (or even just a plastic bag or your poncho) will keep that evaporation from happening under you. At least, that's the theory; I've not done tests m'self on it due to the temperatures in which I live.

I have used a crumpled-up space blanket as a semi-Garlington insulator, but it's blocking air movement in that configuration, not acting primarily as a vapor barrier.

Either way, a pad will give more warmth than a space blanket will; the trapped air pockets in the closed cells are a wonderful insulator.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies

Thanks for all the advice. I actually use the Gossamer gear pad between layers in my DD camper hammock. I survived the weekend but I can't say I was perfectly warm the whole time. The temp dropped into the 20s with wind blown rain / snow Friday night, but the only time I was really cold was solved by emptying my bladder. I picked up a nice Marmot down shirt before hiking in and that really helped until I had to take it off to leave the tarp into the rain.. Those times were brief.

I think I might look into a 20 rated bag, had a 32 rated bag this weekend. The new Nemo spoon shaped ones look well suited for hammock leg positions.

One big positive for the weekend was successful use of my new tenkara rod. I was able to catch fish in several locations without wading. A few more times and I might be able to leave the heavy waders, boots, and fly reel home during the transition months; that could amount to a 10 pound lighter pack. I was also pleased that I did the relatively short hike (5 miles) in under 90 minutes - I had feared winter inactivity would have me in much worse shape.

Time to dry out my gear!
    -Matt-

• + New Posts