Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles

WWM Double?

Hey all!

So this will be my first hammock, and upon my grueling research, I have determined to go with a WWM. I lean towards the lightweight type of backpacker, so this seems to fit the bill perfectly.

My question before I place an order: Is it worth the double layer?

EDIT: So I am 6' tall and weigh 170 lbs. Should I get 56" width?

Currently, because I am building a system for the first time, I do not have a UQ. I have a great sleeping bag and pad, of which I will be trying to integrate into hammock camping (given that it makes sense). SO with that being said, do I cough up the dough and get the double layer?

Am I better off to save my pad for tent camping and do a dedicated UQ here for warmth, or does a pad offer similar benefits in that application?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by pacecar; 02-12-2013 at 01:14.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Get the widest hammock possible since you are pretty tall. It will allow you a better diagonal lay. Using a pad in a single layer is more challenging so if you plan on using a pad for while go with the double layer. It definitely helps keep the pad in place so when you move around you do not end moving the pad.

Using a pad and a sleeping pad can be very effective but I find UQ's are that much more comfortable. I say if you have the money get an UQ. Pads can make you feel clammy because they act as a vapour barrier and they can give you cold shoulders due to their limited width. A segmented pad extender (SPE) which is basically a sleeve you slide your pad into that has wings you place cut up segments of CCF padding into helps prevent cold shoulder and sides. Even with such modifications, a large number of hangers find UQ's more comfortable with the added benefit of saving space in your pack.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a WWM double and it's my favorite, most comfortable hammock. I pretty much bought it as a loaner hammock for my sons (who don't have quilts and are relegated to pads). But when I tried it out myself, I found it coming on every trip.

I've been using the WWM single layer lately. It's pretty darn comfy, but not as comfy as the DL.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I have the dl but haven't slept in it. Been in the closet for months. The single layer is my fav hammock... Pads are doable but check out "shugs hammock camping for noobs videos on YouTube. They will tell you all u need to know about pads and hammocks and tarps and quilts and dutchware and snakeskins and the list goes on. He is an informative teacher of great entertainment... Welcome to the elevated perspective!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I've got the WWM DBL in a 52" width and love it. I do wish it was the 56" but I can still get a nice diagonal lay and it is a very comfortable hammock. I am now using an UQ but did use a pad with it for awhile. The dbl layer keeps them in place so there is no shifting of the pad as you sleep. Give the BIAS a shot.....you'll be glad you did.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    So given my stipulations, the DL is worth it's weight and cost?
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    At your weight, I would get the single. I'm 6' and about 215# and I've never had any trouble with my single. That's just me.

I would get the widest one you can though. I've got the 64", but I'm not sure if that one is still available. I love my micro. It's replaced my Lite Owl as my go to hammock.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I am 6' and run around the same weight. Bought a 56" DL WWM and LOVE it. Had I know before hand that I was going to buy a few UQ's, I probably would have just got the single layer. At my weight and height, I get a great diagonal on this thing, but really dont need the 2nd layer. If you plan on using the pad for some time, then get the extra layer. And really, don't kid yourself, that will not be the only hammock you get I assure you the guys over at BIAS, like all our cottage vendors, are great to deal with. I was in the same boat as you not that many months ago. Only you will be able to determine if you like a pad over a quilt. My 2 cents? buy the DL now, as this allows easier use of the pad. After you get some experience, and maybe get to try out a few other rigs at a group hang, then determine if a UQ is for you. either way, DL or SL and whatever width you choose, the WWM is a great hammock. I get at least one night a week out in mine
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    No matter which you get, our goal is for you to like it. I'd rather you get a single you liked than a double you didn't... So here's my short analysis...

A double costs $40 (and if you know about the process of making a double compared to a single, that's a bargain because they are more than twice as hard to make and they do take twice the material). A CCF pad costs $10. So, you're in for $50, period, for back warmth. One day, if you enjoy this hammocking thing, you will get an underquilt. When you do, you still can hang your double or you can get a single and the double with pad can be your loaner, for your wife, child, etc.

So there's the question... You have to have something. If you've only got a few outings, you can make do with a single and a squirmy pad until you get the UQ in the fall. But if you plan to be out a lot this spring and during the cooler part of the early summer before you get said underquilt, you might reconsider. $50 is cheaper than any underquilt I know of and squirmy pads in single layer hammocks thoroughly suck eggs. A double will also add to the WWM's durability, but it comes with a weight penalty.

So there you have it... if you plan to get an UQ soon, get the single and mosey over to another great cottage vendor for an underquilt when you're ready. If money's tight and the wife or significant other hates seeing charges on the bank statement for your gear, grab the double.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Man Brian....That's hardcore. You're going to put your wife on the pad while you sleep with the UQ?
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast